BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
librayiu
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

Genuine Breyton wheels

Recently I am planning to purchase a set of Breyton GTS-R wheels for my 135i coupe. However, I'm worrying if I will get a set of fake Breyton...

From china online stores there are too much "fake" Breytons which from the outlook a normal person cannot tell it is genuine or fake...

In some posts here, a lot drivers report cracking on the Breyton wheels... I suspect if these wheels are the fake one...?

Any people here can tell how to differentiate genuine and fake Breyton wheels?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

tirerack.com does international shipping and carries the real deal.

otherwise, if you look at the wheel:

See around the middle there's writing that's made of raised lettering? It should have the Breyton Logo, have the model of the rim, have the TUV certification, and maybe one or two other things written on there. If it doesn't, it's not real. It should also come with real breyton center caps, I guess

Other than that, I'm not sure there is any other way to tell. Maybe to weigh the rim, because a cheap knockoff would surely weigh more than the relatively lightweight real breytons.

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 11:05 AM   #3
librayiu
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
tirerack.com does international shipping and carries the real deal.

otherwise, if you look at the wheel:

See around the middle there's writing that's made of raised lettering? It should have the Breyton Logo, have the model of the rim, have the TUV certification, and maybe one or two other things written on there. If it doesn't, it's not real. It should also come with real breyton center caps, I guess

Other than that, I'm not sure there is any other way to tell. Maybe to weigh the rim, because a cheap knockoff would surely weigh more than the relatively lightweight real breytons.
Thanks for your comments. However, modern replication technique from China is far more than what you expected... Those points that you mentioned are all exist in a fake Breyton....

I asked Tirerack and they said genuine Breyton GTS-R are made in China. But from http://www.breytonwheels.co.uk/wheel...hp?wheelID=127 , they mention it is made in Germany.
I also get quote from a China vendor who carry both genuine and fake GTS-R. They said fake one are from China and real one from Germany...

All these made me confused... ~_~
Appreciate 0