BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-10-2008, 12:54 PM   #23
Stew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Some people have done that with MINIs with varying success. You are still apt to get a ticket since the law most likely states something like you must have a valid state supplied license plate or somethign similar.
Cool...I used to see a VW driving around with a euro front license plate, looked pretty cool, but I didnt notice if it was the same number as his valid state license plate.

How messy or difficult to use is the double sided tape that is used in european deliveries? If it were easy to apply and remove it might be easy to use that and just remove the front license plate when you want to look your best...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 03:00 PM   #24
ersatzS2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year1of1 View Post
is it legal to have a fake license plate on a car in NJ?

i wanted to get a euro plate for the front
I drove around with one for years. Because we adjoin PA which doesn't require front plates, not having one seems not to automatically raise eyebrows. Also, not having one gives a cop a way to raise some money without giving you a ticket if he is so inclined. That happened to me once too.
      03-18-2008, 08:01 PM   #25
Euro Durch Tod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: mustang

Sadly I have to put off my 1er order for a lil while, but I was thinkin about epoxyin some magnets behind the bumper, some strong one from a hard drive or something. then attaching some to my state issued plate as well. Then you can have your plate on when you want and remove it when go to a meet or wutever.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 09:45 PM   #26
HebbNH
Resident Cacodemon Expert
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro Durch Tod View Post
Sadly I have to put off my 1er order for a lil while, but I was thinkin about epoxyin some magnets behind the bumper, some strong one from a hard drive or something. then attaching some to my state issued plate as well. Then you can have your plate on when you want and remove it when go to a meet or wutever.
Hmm...that sounds like an interesting idea, provided the magnets are strong enough to keep the plate on the car at highway speed. I might have to give that some thought.
BMS JB4 | BMS DCI | ETS intercooler | ETS charge pipe | HKS SSQV III | CP-E downpipes | BMWP exhaust | P3Cars vent gauge | LUX V3 angel eyes | Weisslicht smoked LED sidemarkers | Blackline LCI taillights | Slek Designs front lip | BMWP grills | Seibon M3 hood | iCarbon CSL trunk | iCarbon rear diffuser | BMWP suspension | Yokohama Advan Neova AD08s | Work Brombachers - FLOSS edition | H&R spacers | TC Kline studs | Project Kics R40 lugs
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 10:29 PM   #27
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Using a substantial amount of neodymium magnets might do the trick.. but who knows. Great idea though. Here in Alberta, we MIGHT be getting front plates in a few years.
      03-19-2008, 04:08 AM   #28
mrgoochio
135i Coupe Owner!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Coupe

Then you'll have metal to plastic contact and load up on scratches while adding weight. If you go through all that trouble, might as well remove the bracket when you don't want it instead.
  • P1 Lemon Boston Leather
  • High Gloss Black Trim
  • Comfort Access System
Appreciate 0