BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-14-2017, 06:47 PM   #1
greenthumb
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 135i ///M-Sport

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Rear brake rotor options for 135i

I currently have the OE BMW brake rotors on all 4 corners. The hats on the rear rotors have gotten extremely corroded. This really bothers me because the rest of the car is meticulous. I know some members on this forum just spray paint the hat to prevent rust, but I think I'd rather buy rotors that come with an anti-corrosive coating from the factory if possible. I believe EBC makes some that are anodized black. Does anyone have experience with any other brands that come with a coating?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 07:45 AM   #2
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumb View Post
I currently have the OE BMW brake rotors on all 4 corners. The hats on the rear rotors have gotten extremely corroded. This really bothers me because the rest of the car is meticulous. I know some members on this forum just spray paint the hat to prevent rust, but I think I'd rather buy rotors that come with an anti-corrosive coating from the factory if possible. I believe EBC makes some that are anodized black. Does anyone have experience with any other brands that come with a coating?
EBC rotors are fine, you could also look at Centric/Stoptech rotors (Stoptech is owned by Centric). They have different levels of rotors and most have anti-corrosion on the rotor hat.

If your rotors are in good shape, it only takes about 15mins a side with some high temp paint to clean them up. I did this 2 summers ago and my rear rotor hats are still mostly in good shape....and will only cost you about $10 for the paint.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2017, 11:21 AM   #3
JCip91
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silver 135 DCT

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I am running these Dura rotors on mine. From what I gathered they are the OE for the BMW Performance ones. I have had them for 6 months and no issues to report.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://wheelwell.com/joe-cipriani-iii
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2017, 02:01 PM   #4
greenthumb
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 135i ///M-Sport

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
EBC rotors are fine, you could also look at Centric/Stoptech rotors (Stoptech is owned by Centric). They have different levels of rotors and most have anti-corrosion on the rotor hat.

If your rotors are in good shape, it only takes about 15mins a side with some high temp paint to clean them up. I did this 2 summers ago and my rear rotor hats are still mostly in good shape....and will only cost you about $10 for the paint.
I'll probably end up going the Centric route because I don't really want drilled rotors. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCip91 View Post
I am running these Dura rotors on mine. From what I gathered they are the OE for the BMW Performance ones. I have had them for 6 months and no issues to report.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That's interesting that they coat the Performance rotors but not the normal ones. I guess it's another selling point they can use to up-sell us to the Performance rotors.
Appreciate 0