BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
Turbolader
The Fat Stig
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Paint Protection film

I'm thinking about getting some clear paint protection film applied to my 1er. After spending quite a bit of time researching this, and talking with a few different detailers, I've accomplished my goal of theroughly confusing myself

So for those of you that have it, which film did you use, and did you go with a partial hood kit, or did you go for the full hood kit?

My buddy has a Lotus Exige S with their starshield, and I detest the line where the protection stops, so I am heavily swayed by going with a full hood kit.

As for the films, it seems the big three are 3m, Xpel and Avery. I'm swaying right now toward Avery because it doesn't have any orangepeel in it, and the thought of paying to add orangepeel to my paint makes me sick. The Xcel looks awesome (the self healing ultra) but I haven't found any installers that use it.

Some places warranty 3m for lifetime, while others warranty it for 5 years. The shop that recommended Avery gives a lifetime warranty on it.

Prices I'm seeing are:
BMW Dealership - $1200 using 3m film, lifetime warranty
Aftermarket #1 - $1220 using 3m film, 5 year warranty
Aftermarket #2 - $1000 using the Avery Nano Fusion film, lifetime warranty

This is for:
- Full hood
- Full front bumper & lower valence
- Front fenders
- Headlights
- Backs of Side View Mirrors (I'm willing to risk the "Whistle")

The guy at Aftermarket #2 will do a partial hood/fender for $525. He stated he can cut the hood line using a french-curve cut, so your eyes don't see a straight line on your hood.

I already have a small scratch from road debris way up on my hood that would not have been protected by a partial kit.

I know that BMW has a pre-cut film, but it has lots of seams, and it appears that it does not cover the entire front bumper, as well as not protecting the headlights. That being said the price is not bad.

If I want to go cheap, I can get a pre-cut kit using the Avery film for about $400 shipped, but when I take into account the installation and prep work, I might as well go with the $525 kit and call it a day.

What do you guys think?

Links:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3..._the_Consumer/
http://www.nanofusionfilm.com/
https://www.xpel.com/default.asp
      10-02-2011, 05:44 AM   #2
AJfreefaller
New Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

First, Ive hand my 1 for about 2 years now, including 2 winters. And I think that if you love your car, this is an absolute must. especiall when you live in places where they sand the roads, rather than using salt.

I had mine installed only about a month after pickup and it has paid for itself times over. I have been able to see the countless rocks that this has stopped from damaging my car, and Im about at the point where its time to replace it with a completlu new film.

The specs on mine....Its 3M, I got the entire bumper, headlights, underside of the side mirrors (never had a whistle) and half of the hood. I was worried about seeing the line too when i had it put on, but they cut it on a curve, and its nearly impossible to see unless you're really looking for it. and when I wash the car, or after it gets waxed, i just take a q-tip, dipped in rubbing alcohol, and run it along the edge, and all the built up dirt or wax is gone and its invisible again.

Opinions on the options.

1. I have seen the BMW films. they look really thick, have a lot of seams, like you said, and are pretty obvious. not a fan, plus really expensive

2. Unless you are a master with vinal wrapping, you are not going to be happy with the result if you try and do the install yourself. NOT WORTH IT

3. the 1200 price of the aftermarket guys seems a little high. i had mine done in seattle for less than 800. but sometimes you get what you pay for, and im not sure i have a lifetime warrenty on it.

just my 2 cents. good luck
2009 BSM 135i/Black Boston Leather/M Sport package/Premium Package/Comfort Assist/ Stage 2 Dinan suspension/ Camber plates/ Dinan exhaust / Anthricite VMR V710's / Michelin PSS2's / P3 Vent guage ver.2 / Many other goodies I dont officially have
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 07:18 AM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I went with the BMW kit on my 135i. I couldn't be happier. Now only will the clear bra kit save your car from rock chips but also from scratches while driving. On the autobahns it is a must have!

Here is my write up when I had my clear bra done. I was gonna have my dealer do the install until I asked them how much! 400+ euros. Another dealer wanted 800 euros! Soulnded like silly money considered the kit was cheap at 140 euros (I think?). I found a indo shop close to my haus. One day I was out driving and saw this fully wrapped Audi A6... with that company's logo on it. The next day I was over there talking to them. They installed my clear bra - plus used some of their own 3M stuff for a whopping grand total of 110 euros!

One thing is for sure... the install prices are all over the place! Shop around.

My Clear Bra DIY...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ight=clear+bra
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 01:28 AM   #4
Turbolader
The Fat Stig
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Thanks AJ and David.

I actually saw your install DIY during my research

If I may ask, does your BMW kit have any orangepeel to it? The price from tischer is rediculously cheap. ($125 usd Hood / $90 usd Bumper) How high up the hood does the BMW kit go? Looks like maybe 1/3 the hood?

I guess I'm struggling with the options because I had a rock hit way back on my hood - as far back as the windshield washer nozzles. This particular rock also decided to double-click my windshield after doing its damage to my hood

I'll admit it is rare, but I don't want it to happen again. Where I live we don't need to sand the roads for winter, but we do have some sand on the freeways year around because of the desert.

Last edited by Turbolader; 10-03-2011 at 02:01 AM.. Reason: Removed stupid question that was answered in Dackel's DIY
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #5
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Clear Bra - my $0.02

I have the clear bra on my wifes MDX and my 135. I was a huge fan but they seem to always get stained ...bird crap on my wifes MDX and water stains on my 135 @ the airport. Yes, I followed their recommendations on filling the pores by using liquid glass. I am leaning towards something like Opti-Coat for the future...seemless and can be removed easily (by polishing) after a few years and re-applied. Fairly inexpensive...at the moment I am experimenting and have applied this coating to my wheels. Something to think about

FYI...it is going to cost $335 to replace the hood section on my 135 so I will have to make a decision by next Spring. Opti-coat or clear bra, and if I opti-coat I will have to remove the remaining parts of the clear bra.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 02:42 AM   #6
psalm40
Jet Black 135cic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
I have the clear bra on my wifes MDX and my 135. I was a huge fan but they seem to always get stained ...bird crap on my wifes MDX and water stains on my 135 @ the airport. Yes, I followed their recommendations on filling the pores by using liquid glass. I am leaning towards something like Opti-Coat for the future...seemless and can be removed easily (by polishing) after a few years and re-applied. Fairly inexpensive...at the moment I am experimenting and have applied this coating to my wheels. Something to think about

FYI...it is going to cost $335 to replace the hood section on my 135 so I will have to make a decision by next Spring. Opti-coat or clear bra, and if I opti-coat I will have to remove the remaining parts of the clear bra.
There is a real difference between Opti-Coat 2.0 (or Opti-Guard) and a clear bra. The Opti product is designed to be an "extra" clear coat. It will not save you from rock chips. The PPF is designed to save you from rock chips and will not look as good as a nicely polished/sealed/waxed clearcoat. They are really two different products for different purposes. I wish Opti-Coat was enough. For $59 (Detailedimage.com and Autogeek.net...I didn't check Detailersdomain.com....) and about two hours, you'd be all set.... By the way, anyone have any experience with Opti-Coat (or Guard) ontop of a clear bra?
      10-04-2011, 08:04 AM   #7
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by psalm40 View Post
There is a real difference between Opti-Coat 2.0 (or Opti-Guard) and a clear bra. The Opti product is designed to be an "extra" clear coat. It will not save you from rock chips. The PPF is designed to save you from rock chips and will not look as good as a nicely polished/sealed/waxed clearcoat. They are really two different products for different purposes. I wish Opti-Coat was enough. For $59 (Detailedimage.com and Autogeek.net...I didn't check Detailersdomain.com....) and about two hours, you'd be all set.... By the way, anyone have any experience with Opti-Coat (or Guard) ontop of a clear bra?
Thx...something to think about. I was hoping it would add more protection against rocks and similar flying debris. Yes, I bought one vial from Detail Image already and have coated two sets of wheels so far

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolader View Post

If I may ask, does your BMW kit have any orangepeel to it? The price from tischer is rediculously cheap. ($125 usd Hood / $90 usd Bumper) How high up the hood does the BMW kit go? Looks like maybe 1/3 the hood?

I took some pics today. The sun was going down fast though. I hope I captured the 'peel for you. You know I never looked so closely to my clear bra before. I know it has saved me several times from rocks and even in the winter time big chunks of ice hitting my hood & and sides of the bumper/wheel arches.

Yes, the BMW kit has "some" orange peel to it. Its really hard to see it under normal light though.

IF you would like to see more of my clear bra orange peel shots... here are all my photos...

http://s764.photobucket.com/albums/xx283/Dackelone/BMW%20orange%20peel%20-%20clear%20bra/

Only the first third of my hood is covered...

Last edited by Dackelone; 10-04-2011 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #9
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i MT6 M Sport, Dinan 5

Garage List
2011 128i  [5.66]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
I did my whole hood and front bumper with the 3m cost me $600. Very well done too. Didn't do the fenders since I have never had any problems with rock chips on them.