BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

10-06-2009, 07:05 AM   #1
slamako
Metal cutter
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i 08 6MT Sed Red Met.

low mileage and oil change frequency

Hi Everybody, here's a noob question.

My 135i is purely a "fun" car. I've had it for 9 months with only 4k miles on it. I did the original oil change at 1200 miles to flush out.

However, BMW has complimentary 4 year oil change (i.e. 2x a year for 4 years) as part of their service plan.

So, here's the question: given the low miles I put on my car, should I

a) change the oil only when needed (..say once a year)
b) change the oil 2x a year (because it's free)

I would say that my driving style is civilized with the odd spirited sprints here and there and I'm sure I will store the car in the winter.

I don't know too much about any oils, and so I'm not sure if I should even bother going to the dealership to change oils.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Slamako
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 07:08 AM   #2
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
      10-06-2009, 09:15 AM   #3
acivick
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Dinan Sedona 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I thought the maintenance interval for oil was determined by the onboard CBS system? In any case you should do it (or have it done) at least once a year.

I actually have a similar issue, only have 6000 on mine and did the 1200 one myself. Planning the next one before it gets too cold out, maybe when I swap my summer wheels.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

If you are only driving 4,000 miles in 9 months, then changing it more often than once a year seems pretty wasteful - even if it's free in Canada.

(In the US, it's one free change per year if the mileage requirement hasn't been met.)

Tom
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 10:48 AM   #5
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
If you are only driving 4,000 miles in 9 months, then changing it more often than once a year seems pretty wasteful - even if it's free in Canada.

Tom

I agree.

There's just no point in changing the oil any more frequent than 4k mile intervals.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 11:04 AM   #6
dragon1761
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i SGM 08; 328i AW 14

I dont think you can change the oil 2x because it is free. BMW will only do it when you hit either the 12,000 mile mark or the 1 year mark. I tried it, and they denied me the oil change.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 12:28 PM   #7
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

I did mine at 1300 and I will do it again at 3000. If you drive a car hard when you do drive it then you should change it often. I do not trust any manufacturer that say you can go 15k with no change. Every 2-3k is best for long life.
      10-06-2009, 01:03 PM   #8
slamako
Metal cutter
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i 08 6MT Sed Red Met.

Thanks everybody for their input. I spoke with my SA and mentioned that

-I am good for a free oil change 1x a year at low mileage (Tom K--same as the US, thanks)

-@Brad-I agree that trusting the onboard computer to tell you when the oil should be changed should not be recommended.

Thanks for the responses.
Slamako
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 01:10 PM   #9
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
I did 1200...last October '08 and 4800 August '09. Technically, my CA says we can do a 1 year oil change for free so I may do it right before I put the car away for winter considering that I didn't reach 15k, but the car is now a year old.
      10-06-2009, 01:40 PM   #10
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad@PSI MOTORS View Post
I did mine at 1300 and I will do it again at 3000. If you drive a car hard when you do drive it then you should change it often. I do not trust any manufacturer that say you can go 15k with no change. Every 2-3k is best for long life.

Those statements are COMPLETELY baseless. I'd love to see you provide once single study that shows that changing synthetic oil every 3k miles instead of every 10k miles increases the life of an engine. You're pulling that STRAIGHT out of your ass.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 09:44 AM   #11
Lexington
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Blue Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Those statements are COMPLETELY baseless. I'd love to see you provide once single study that shows that changing synthetic oil every 3k miles instead of every 10k miles increases the life of an engine. You're pulling that STRAIGHT out of your ass.

Ouch!
      10-07-2009, 12:09 PM   #12
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Do I attack you or anyone onthis board on the things they say? No I don't. Show some maturity. Ok go ahead and change your oil every 15k and see what happens to your rings and cylinder walls.lol I have built many motors in my time and raced cars as a hobby for 15 years so I know what works and what doesn't work in my experience. Why don't you go tell a race engine builder that doing it every 15k is ok for a performance engine that will be making in some cases 80+Hp more over stock like a lot of us are doing and he will laugh at you. Or go talk to a metallurgist and mechanical engineer like I did to get my information. Seems you like to get upset and lash out for some reason. Not sure what that is all about.

Last edited by HPFREAK; 10-07-2009 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 12:17 PM   #13
tm30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Did I pee in your cornflakes or something? What the hell is you problem? Do I attack you on the things you say? No I don't. Show some maturity. Ok go ahead and change your oil every 15k and see what happens to your rings and cylinder walls.lol I have built many motors in my time and raced cars as a hobby for 15 years so I know what works and what doesn't work in my experience. Why don't you go tell a race engine builder that doing it every 15k is ok for a performance engine that will be making in some cases 80+Hp more over stock like a lot of us are doing and he will laugh at you. Or go talk to a metallurgist and mechanical engineer like I did to get my information. Seems you like to get upset and lash out for some reason. Not sure what that is all about.
Try selling a car with two oil change receipts in 30 thousand miles with the argument "because BMW said so!"... while on your fourth HPFP.
      10-07-2009, 12:26 PM   #14
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm30 View Post
Try selling a car with two oil change receipts in 30 thousand miles with the argument "because BMW said so!"... while on your fourth HPFP.
Yup it makes no sense and if I was looking at that car i would think it was neglected. Oils of today are not magical liquids that can protect to their fullest for 15k. In an engine that is turbo charged and generates a ton of heat it is eve more important to change oil often to ensure the oil is doing its job and not broken down. I have seen bench test of the major brand and whats happens to them under prolonged abuse in mderate to high HP engines that develope a lot of heat and they break down much much faster. take me at my word or dont, it is up to you in the end to care for your car properly. I have no clue how what I said in my first post could at all be taken as a bad thing or bad advice.
      10-07-2009, 12:41 PM   #15
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did I pee in your cornflakes or something? Do I attack you or anyone onthis board on the things they say? No I don't. Show some maturity. Ok go ahead and change your oil every 15k and see what happens to your rings and cylinder walls.lol I have built many motors in my time and raced cars as a hobby for 15 years so I know what works and what doesn't work in my experience. Why don't you go tell a race engine builder that doing it every 15k is ok for a performance engine that will be making in some cases 80+Hp more over stock like a lot of us are doing and he will laugh at you. Or go talk to a metallurgist and mechanical engineer like I did to get my information. Seems you like to get upset and lash out for some reason. Not sure what that is all about.
What it's all about is people perpetuating BS on this forum. If you don't want to be called out on it, don't do it.

I have talked to engineers. The ones from BMW..you know....the guys that DESIGNED the engine. Oil changes every 3k miles is fucking ABSURD.

If you want to cut the oil change interval in half because you're running the car hard, that's fine, but to make the statement that you will prolong engine life by doing oil changes every 2-3k miles is a baseless crock of shit. If it's not, prove me wrong with some sort of study instead of going on and on about how much you know about engines. I can guarantee you I've got more time inside the guts of a car than you do, so spare me.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 12:53 PM   #16
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
What it's all about is people perpetuating BS on this forum. If you don't want to be called out on it, don't do it.

I have talked to engineers. The ones from BMW..you know....the guys that DESIGNED the engine. Oil changes every 3k miles is fucking ABSURD.

If you want to cut the oil change interval in half because you're running the car hard, that's fine, but to make the statement that you will prolong engine life by doing oil changes every 2-3k miles is a baseless crock of shit. If it's not, prove me wrong with some sort of study instead of going on and on about how much you know about engines. I can guarantee you I've got more time inside the guts of a car than you do, so spare me.
Yo know what jeremy, you need get a hold of your comments. what did I do to you? Explain to me how saying changing oil every 2-3k is bad or stupid? You want proof from me I want it from you now. There is nothing wrong with what I said at all!! I'm sorry but BMW engineers have not proven to be the greatest in my or a lot of peoples eyes. If they can not get a hold of this HPFP issue after 2 years then why on earth would I take their rec that I can change my oil every 15k and be totally fine? It is easy for you to request a study proving that it is good or bad to do so since you do not have to find one and most likely there is not a single study done by a third party on this particular motor. I go off of common sense. You can do what ever you like. I am done with this subject.
      10-07-2009, 01:04 PM   #17
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yo know what jeremy, you need get a hold of your comments. what did I do to you? Explain to me how saying changing oil every 2-3k is bad or stupid? You want proof from me I want it from you now. There is nothing wrong with what I said at all!! I'm sorry but BMW engineers have not proven to be the greatest in my or a lot of peoples eyes. If they can not get a hold of this HPFP issue after 2 years then why on earth would I take their rec that I can change my oil every 15k and be totally fine? It is easy for you to request a study proving that it is good or bad to do so since you do not have to find one and most likely there is not a single study done by a third party on this particular motor. I go off of common sense. You can do what ever you like. I am done with this subject.

You know what Brad, you need to get ahold of YOUR comments. As I said earlier, if you don't want someone calling BS on you, DON'T POST BULL SHIT!

It's bad for three reasons
A - It's a waste of money
B - It's a waste of time
C - It's a waste of resources

You're done because you can't back up what you're saying with any sort of proof whatsoever. You made the claim, now lets see something other than your claimed experience with a couple engines to back it up.

Quote:
Every 2-3k is best for long life.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 01:22 PM   #18
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Quote:
You know what Brad, you need to get ahold of YOUR comments. As I said earlier, if you don't want someone calling BS on you, DON'T POST BULL SHIT!

It's bad for three reasons
A - It's a waste of money
B - It's a waste of time
C - It's a waste of resources

You're done because you can't back up what you're saying with any sort of proof whatsoever. You made the claim, now lets see something other than your claimed experience with a couple engines to back it up.
Dude....calm down...you're literally arguing with people on here and the "other" message board....you come across as argumentative for the sake of being argumentative.

There have been several posts already where a Blackstone report shows that the oil sample tested has been consistent with proper break-in procedures for folks who've done 1300/2700/5000 miles and is decreasing over time. I would agree that a more frequent oil change, every 4500-5000k would be a more acceptable interval than the manufacturer recommended every 1 year or 15k. It removes the break-in metals and composites each oil change. You know as well as I do that if BMW recommended a more frequent interval: 1) it would cost the manufacturer more money to honor the scheduled maintenance 2) it would be ridiculously hard to get an oil change appointment thereby making it inconvenient. That imho is the real reason why its a 1yr or 15k interval instead of an every 5mo or 5k-7500 interval.

There's nothing wrong with spending a little more money/resources on your own car if the end result isn't detrimental.

Its also recommended practice by the tech writer for Roundel, so thats good enough for me.