E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Audio Types / Formats ??

08-30-2005, 10:40 AM   #1
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Audio Types / Formats ??

Hello. Im a little disappointed... Are there any other types of audio my bmw with navi will play? It doesnt seem to play dvd audio. im sure it wont play sacd, which i dont really care about. Im not even sure if it probably play 5.1 audio or whatever.
I know there is talks about a "software update". do any of you guys have expierence with that in past bmw's. is it likely that one day our cars will just have new features, or that we will have the option to bring it into the dealership for the upgrade. or is it likely that we will just be out of luck. and if its something we need to bring into for the upgrade, will it most likely be free or have a cost?
is there anything that the dvd player will play other then just the stock navi dvd?
thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2005, 11:07 AM   #2
cdheaven
Rep

i forgot the most important one. mp3 cds. i tried one mp3 cd and didnt work, but it was burned with folders. is that why, or does the car just not play mp3s?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2005, 12:13 PM   #3
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

The september update will allow the car to play mp3's.
Other memebers have tried to play mp3 dvd's with success.
The DVD drive in the car is mainly for the navi dvd. You cannot play dvd videos due to the legal implications, and america's law system (Bmw doesn't want their asses sued)
As far as the 5.1 sound and dvd audio, I don't know. Get the software update (after september), stick it in and see if it works.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2005, 12:16 PM   #4
cdheaven
Rep

thanks for the reply
Im glad to hear the confidence in your voice about both the time of the update and the fact it will play mp3s.
but again
do you think the the update will be sent like over sateliite, or am i gonna have to drive the car to the dealership. and will this be a free update, or one with a price tag?
any idea yet?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2005, 12:23 PM   #5
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

It should (according to the people on this site) be a free update, but unfortunately you will have to take your car into the dealership and leave it there for a day.

We're all just waiting for september to see what BMW NA/AG etc are going to release/say...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2005, 01:35 PM   #6
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Update will hopefually include MP3 CD and MP3 DVD ( some business nav cars can already play MP3 DVD ) and WMA files

Software updates are done at the dealer and can take 1 to 2 days, depending on howmuch needs updating.

The cost depends on your country, but basically if you say you have a problem that that particular update fixes, then they should do it under warranty
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2005, 10:37 AM   #7
cdheaven
Rep

my car played a dvd audio yesterday!!! this might be old news to some. i THOUGHT i already tried a dvd audio and it didnt work, but yesterday i tried again. i got the new nine inch nails dual disc. its the regular cd on one side, and a dvd on the flip side. the dvd has the whole album in 5.1 surround plus like a music video and some other stuff. obviously the music videos didnt play. but i instered the disc, dvd side up in the navi slot, and it played. it says dvd-01 etc on the bottom of the screen. it sounded a little more crisp.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2005, 02:42 PM   #8
quackman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdheaven
my car played a dvd audio yesterday!!! this might be old news to some. i THOUGHT i already tried a dvd audio and it didnt work, but yesterday i tried again. i got the new nine inch nails dual disc. its the regular cd on one side, and a dvd on the flip side. the dvd has the whole album in 5.1 surround plus like a music video and some other stuff. obviously the music videos didnt play. but i instered the disc, dvd side up in the navi slot, and it played. it says dvd-01 etc on the bottom of the screen. it sounded a little more crisp.
Are you CERTAIN that it was the DVD side?
Because the DVD Nav slot will play CD audio.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2005, 02:59 PM   #9
cdheaven
Rep

yes. positive! andddd the nav screen says. DVD-01, DVD-02. etc
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2005, 12:46 AM   #10
quackman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wonder why I haven't heard of this, ok I'm going to test it out tomorrow.
If you're right, then I can't beleive no-one's thought of this before...
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2005, 02:16 AM   #11
Barry626
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Coming: 2012 135i

Quote:
I just checked mine out & I also get DVD-01 & DVD-02.
All tracks are there but when I turn the wheel for the...
tracks all I get is loud buzzing sound from the speakers.
None of the tracks play
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2005, 10:16 AM   #12
quackman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry626
I just checked mine out & I also get DVD-01 & DVD-02.
All tracks are there but when I turn the wheel for the...
tracks all I get is loud buzzing sound from the speakers.
None of the tracks play
See, now that's what I thought would happen. The software for decoding DVD-Audio just isn't there.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2005, 11:00 AM   #13
cdheaven
Rep

i dunno. i just tried two other ones. the john legend. and the dave matthews. neither of those two seem to work.(i.e. for the record. i dont listen to very much R & B but i do like the john legend. And i HATE dave matthews. these are just 2 we have for sale at the store).anyway. i will mess around with any that i can find here. maybe the nine inch nails one isnt really dvd audio thats why it doesnt sound much better???? i really dont know.

Last edited by cdheaven; 09-10-2005 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2005, 12:11 PM   #14
quackman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i dunno. i just tried two other ones. the john legend. and the dave matthews. neither of those two seem to work.(i.e. for the record. i dont listen to very much R & B but i do like the john legend. And i HATE dave matthews. these are just 2 we have for sale at the store).anyway. i will mess around with any that i can find here. maybe the nine inch nails one isnt really dvd audio thats why it doesnt sound much better???? i really dont know.
Some DVD-Audios also have simpler tracks on them, like CD-quaity audio at a bit higher bitrate/quality, which isn't too noticeable. The real meat and potatoes of DVD-Audio is the specific DVD-A tracks, which have true 5.1 channels of separated sound. The I-Drive can read CD-audio, that's no problem for it, and since it can read DVDs in it's DVD drive, it can read the CD tracks in the DVD audio disk. But the software for reading the true DVD-A tracks, just isn't present in the I-Drive.

I have two DVD-A disks, by Queen. They contain true DVD-A tracks and higher bitrate CD tracks. My computer with DVD-A reading software plays amazing sounding tracks, but if I try to play the DVD with simply a DVD player I get slightly better sounding CD tracks.
Appreciate 0