BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-06-2009, 04:06 AM   #1
elciddragon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i LeMans Blue

Best Dealer Experience in Greater Boston area?

Hi everyone,

For the past few months I've been a lurker around here getting my fix on everything 1-series related. I am planning on finally making the move to custom order one within the next month, so now that I think I know enough about the car, its benefits (and also some of its drawbacks), it is time to start considering dealers. The only cars I have owned prior to this are Audis, so I don't know much about the BMW dealers and their reputations. Before posting this question, I did a quick search but did not find a conclusive post about dealers in the Boston area, so I hope I didn't miss anything and this is a repost.

I live in metro west, and the closest one to me is Foreign Motors West. I have also heard about Wagner BMW, BMW Gallery, and Inskip BMW. I was wondering what kind of sales experience people have had at these places? If you had a particularly good one and could recommend a CA to me, please PM me the name if possible. Also, if your 1-er or past BMW has been in for service, please let me know how that was as I plan on holding on to this car for a while.

Thanks in advance,

Jose
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 06:56 AM   #2
LittleVik
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Black/Black

I purchased my first BMW at Herb Chambers in Boston, and it was not a great experience. It just wasn't a friendly negotiation, and it was like pulling teeth. They really just didn't want to budge on anything, it was as if they expected I should plunk down the sticker cost or something, even though they full well know its overinflated (as an industry practice). Then, when the car turned out to be a Lemon and was in the shop for a month after I bought it, they didn't want to take it back. Huge fight ensues for two weeks, and I ram car down their throats, and they upgrade me to another one, which runs as expected. Those two weeks were awful, and it was a real down and out fight with managers there to have them do anything. I had to yell and threaten before anything got done, when I was nice they ignored me and said there was nothing they could do.

That said, their mechanics made valiant efforts and were super nice to me, and gave me lots of advice in the process, including what to say to sales and management to get my car replaced. I would take my car there for service in a second, good guys.

I attempted to purchase a vehicle (upgrade) at Foreign Motors West, but I could not get them to sell me a car. They were more than willing to let me buy one, but made no effort to actually sell me one, or to give any sort of incentive, push, or barter on price. I do take my car to FMW for service, and they have always done an excellent job there. The only issue is that they do not have a lot of BMW loaners, so you might be driving a Ford Focus or some other death trap if you don't specify when making an appointment.

I actually got my 128i at Herb in Boston, different salesman, and it was an extremely nice experience the second time around. It took almost no time, they were very good on the price, and it was just all around a very pleasant experience, I can't complain. It might have been that they really wanted to sell cars due too economy, but I think the salesman had a lot to do with it. I mean, I went in to merely *look* at cars and bought one in about 2 hrs, so you know that guy was pretty good and nice to deal with.

My advice to go all over, and see how you feel about the person you are dealing with, and to get a feel for whether the guy wants to make a sale or not. You can sort of feel it when the guy really wants to make a sale, and is willing to work with you to make it happen.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 07:10 AM   #3
BimmerLearner
My car is less than a week old and on its 3rd tank
Rep
Drives: Tiag 135 Vert

Peabody; agreed to my price, aq fee and money factor via email. Bit of a drive but no messing around like gallery tried. Herb chambers sent me canned replies to my emails.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 07:15 AM   #4
BMWeber
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

as said befor it depends a lot on the salesman you work with but I've had pretty good experiences with Foreign Motors West. I don't believe it is quite the same place it was befor herb bought them but I had a good experience getting my 1er. It was when they first came out so I wasn't looking for the best deal either. I did get mine for less than list but not a lot less.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 07:38 AM   #5
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
FMW wouldn't come lower than $500 to the next best deal I was offered. I have leased two cars from Tulley in Nashua and had pretty good luck there. PM sent.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 08:13 AM   #6
BimmerLearner
Rep

I nearly got a 128 vert from tulley, they did offer a great deal, the payment would have been like 398; tempting.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 08:52 AM   #7
mugennosora
Master Wang
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB 2016 M3

go to boston herb chamber, look for Ahmed, and said Tony with the white 1er sent you, he'll take care of you.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 09:30 AM   #8
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
I agree that a lot of your experience depends on which salesman you talk to. We bought a 328xit last year and a 128i this year from Jack McDevitt at Inskip. Great guy, real BMW enthusiast, and willing to work hard for a deal.
      03-06-2009, 09:59 AM   #9
elciddragon
Private First Class
Rep

I will definitely take all of these into consideration. It seems like my best bet is not to rule out any one dealer, but to initiate contact with the recommended people rather than walking in blind and asking for any salesman.

Thanks for all the help! Hopefully someone else may find this useful as well...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 04:12 PM   #10
Dr_Jones
Major
Rep
Drives:

kevin at bmw peabody, quite a VW/Audi enthusiast...knows his BMs though too.

When it came to price...over the barrel i went, but the economy was good back then & they smiled the whole time

My old man has had a good buying experience up there as well.

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 11:22 PM   #11
aznqtboy984
Private
Rep
Drives: 135 Convertible

I dealt w/ Abdub at Herb Chambers. He drives a bmw too, so he knows the cars very well.
      03-09-2009, 01:14 PM   #12
roldan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

I had David Williamson at BMW Gallery Norwood.. really good guy, he was helpful, no BS, and hooked me up with $500 off MSRP when I bought.. which I guess is a crappy deal now but was pretty good stuff when I ordered it in April.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 11:33 AM   #13
riguy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X3 M-Sport 28i

Garage List
BMW Gallery Norwood, Muhammed Kaleem. Top notch!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 12:46 PM   #14
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by riguy View Post
BMW Gallery Norwood, Muhammed Kaleem. Top notch!
I've spoken to him, he knows his stuff. Might not be the best deal but he knew more than most CAs I spoke to which can be worth it.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #15
LittleVik
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Black/Black

Hmm, I wouldn't care if the guy didn't know ANYTHING about cars. That isn't the key. You the customer know about the product, doesn't matter if he does. I'm sure guys here know more than the sales people do. If you do the online research, you don't need a salesman that knows anything other than the lowest price that he can sell you that car for and not be denied by his manager. I would look for a place that has the best price. Not willing to "pay" for a knowledgeable sales guy, there is no point.

It is a buyer's market, you should be able to get a great deal right now, and they should be happy to have you buy a car. A lot of these places are paying massive amounts of rent on their inventory, which is just sitting there. Not to mention, some places buy cars on credit, so they are making payments on cars which are aging. The best bet for them to lessen the pain is to get rid of a lot of cars, reduce inventory and associated costs.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 01:58 PM   #16
lizak187
Lizak187
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 bmw 325ci/2008m3 coup

Rick Scretti Bmw of Peabody...bought 2 cars from him myself and sent a few friends and family as well...all turned into successful sales and people driving away in bmw's. I had a bad experience with chambers when i was trying to buy a E350 :cure edition: with cash they wouldn’t even do anything for me
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #17
mugennosora
Master Wang
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB 2016 M3

sometimes you just have to bring up names that they know, so if they don't do something good they won't keep business, We bought 2 1ers just recently, so are my friends who got great deal on his trade in, that's why I mentioned look for ahmed and mention that you're my friend, chances are I won't be buying any Bimmer anytime soon now that we have 2, but dealer like that would do some good, I have few friend who got a good deal with him already that's why I said Herb Chamer boston is a good place to go.

right person, right time will give you the right deal.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 08:21 PM   #18
bimmer74
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Sedan

I first went to FMW but didn't like the trade price or the salesman.

I also spoke with Mike Cerone at Inskip and he was very knowledgeable and enthusiastic but the price on the car wasn't where I wanted it.

Next, I spoke with a gentleman at Trans-Atlantic on the Cape (can't remember his name). He was probably the most knowledgeable and entusiastic. The price was a bit high, though.

I ended up buying from Harris Ali at BMW Gallery in Norwood. They gave me a great price on the new car AND on my trade so I can't complain. The negotiations were pretty painless.

I say try them all and see how you feel about each dealership and CA.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 03:07 AM   #19
elciddragon
Private First Class
Rep

I have already made some preliminary contact with the people that were recommended here. Hopefully they are all working on the same day early in april so I can just drive around to every dealer and make this happen. Too bad I won't have my 1 for that little road trip!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 09:00 AM   #20
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleVik View Post
Hmm, I wouldn't care if the guy didn't know ANYTHING about cars. That isn't the key. You the customer know about the product, doesn't matter if he does. I'm sure guys here know more than the sales people do. If you do the online research, you don't need a salesman that knows anything other than the lowest price that he can sell you that car for and not be denied by his manager. I would look for a place that has the best price. Not willing to "pay" for a knowledgeable sales guy, there is no point.
I agree, and this is why I didn't go with him. But it is refreshing sometimes to talk to someone who can figure lease payments on the spot and knows his stuff. But I agree it's not worth paying for.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 09:36 AM   #21
BimmerLearner
Rep

I agree, knowledge didnt matter as id spent a good couple weeks reading up on bmw, money factors, max fees etc. I submitted my offer via email, did everything from my laptop and just picked the car up.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 10:11 AM   #22
itsthechuck
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135, E34M, E30rally,S6, E30 M3

I bought my 135 from Tulley, had an excellent experience and it was definitely worth my ride from RI. I had gone through quite a few of dealers closer but Tulley definitely earned my business.