BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-04-2016, 02:20 PM   #1
hunterl41
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Best way to ship rear bumper cover?

So I'm parting out my car and have a buyer for the rear bumper cover. I'm trying to figure out the best/cheapest way to ship. My research found that the best option is to just bubble wrap, reinforce with cardboard and ship as is and do Fedex non standard packaging.

I heard Greyhound as an option as well, but it seems like that might be longer and more complicated without much cost benefit since the bumper cover is just large and not very heavy.

Can anyone provide some suggestions or guidance. I know I can't be only person with this dilemma. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 03:05 PM   #2
EaZyx978
sIMple_skILLs
United_States
Rep
Drives: O.N.E

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterl41 View Post
So I'm parting out my car and have a buyer for the rear bumper cover. I'm trying to figure out the best/cheapest way to ship. My research found that the best option is to just bubble wrap, reinforce with cardboard and ship as is and do Fedex non standard packaging.
This. I ship many bumpers an have no complaint. The most I spent was about 45 bucks shipping through fedex. Today I just receive my rear 1m bumper an told the seller to just ship it bubble wrap through fedex an letting them know it's "fragile" . My 1m rear bumper came in today actually an was received 100% without a defect.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 09:10 AM   #3
dm874
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15' M4

^And the shipping was only 45? :0

I had a bumper shipped to me from California to Philly in a week for about 100 via Greyhound...Not bad IMO
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 06:30 PM   #4
EaZyx978
sIMple_skILLs
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm874 View Post
^And the shipping was only 45? :0

I had a bumper shipped to me from California to Philly in a week for about 100 via Greyhound...Not bad IMO
Yea I was quite shock too cos I was expecting to spend about 100 or more but the FedEx worker shock me with that price and I just went all in
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 10:56 AM   #5
dan1487
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mazda RX-8

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaZyx978 View Post
This. I ship many bumpers an have no complaint. The most I spent was about 45 bucks shipping through fedex. Today I just receive my rear 1m bumper an told the seller to just ship it bubble wrap through fedex an letting them know it's "fragile" . My 1m rear bumper came in today actually an was received 100% without a defect.
When you do this, are you talking about actually shipping a complete bumper cover? I've been trying to figure out how to do ship the same way, based on your words, and every time I talk to FedEx, they insist that it will be measured and priced as if it were a box (expensive, talking about $100+ for shipping it). What do I exactly tell FedEx I want when shipping such an item? Can you please post a picture of how you wrap such an item? (FedEx also tells me that they do not allow items to be shipped with JUST bubble wrap, but that they also must be enclosed by cardboard or some kind of container). I would REALLY appreciate any help you can give me...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 12:57 PM   #6
EaZyx978
sIMple_skILLs
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1487 View Post
When you do this, are you talking about actually shipping a complete bumper cover? I've been trying to figure out how to do ship the same way, based on your words, and every time I talk to FedEx, they insist that it will be measured and priced as if it were a box (expensive, talking about $100+ for shipping it). What do I exactly tell FedEx I want when shipping such an item? Can you please post a picture of how you wrap such an item? (FedEx also tells me that they do not allow items to be shipped with JUST bubble wrap, but that they also must be enclosed by cardboard or some kind of container). I would REALLY appreciate any help you can give me...

Hey sorry for the late reply. Havnt log in awhile. Just like this. I walk in fedex having my bumper look like that an told them i want to ship this an they ship it with no problem.

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 08:06 PM   #7
Zebaztian7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaZyx978 View Post
Hey sorry for the late reply. Havnt log in awhile. Just like this. I walk in fedex having my bumper look like that an told them i want to ship this an they ship it with no problem.

I was unable to see the picture that you posted. I got it in bubble wrap trying to do the same but they keep telling me I will need to grab a box for it and it might need to be shipped by freight due to the dimensions.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 11:52 AM   #8
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebaztian7 View Post
I was unable to see the picture that you posted. I got it in bubble wrap trying to do the same but they keep telling me I will need to grab a box for it and it might need to be shipped by freight due to the dimensions.
What shipping company? Try USPS.
      03-28-2018, 12:26 PM   #9
Zebaztian7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
What shipping company? Try USPS.
I tried to go to Fedex to try the non standard shipping option with a bumper that was bubble wrapped, and they said that I needed a box and wasn't able to ship it that way.

I can try USPS, but I think I am required to have it shipped with a box and I do not have a box for the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 06:21 PM   #10
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebaztian7 View Post
I tried to go to Fedex to try the non standard shipping option with a bumper that was bubble wrapped, and they said that I needed a box and wasn't able to ship it that way.

I can try USPS, but I think I am required to have it shipped with a box and I do not have a box for the bumper.
I literally just shipped a sway bar via USPS with no box. If that was fine to just be bubble wrapped I'm sure a bumper is too!
      03-28-2018, 10:00 PM   #11
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
I literally just shipped a sway bar via USPS with no box. If that was fine to just be bubble wrapped I'm sure a bumper is too!
I got my rear sway bar in a really really long box, no bubble wrap, just a few bushings and stuff I ordered packed-in.