BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #23
228iconvert
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i x drive convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTribe View Post
The Britax Chaperone, one of the larger rear-facing infant seats (the largest we saw), fits nicely in the center position using the latch anchors. The latch anchors appear to be properly spaced and the seat can be mounted there very securely. Both front seats are able to be adjusted to "normal" locations (for a couple six-footers) when it's in that location. See photos. I did find you need to place a wedge beneath the front end of the carrier base to get the proper seat angle since that middle "seat" is so flat. Also note there is no latch tether up on the rear parcel shelf in the middle position if you need that.

It also fits on either side in the rear, but the seat in front of it has to be roughly at it's maximum travel forward. As a six-footer, it was really tight, but barely do-able. It'd be tight but more do-able for sub-six footers.

As for hoisting the seat in and out, I found a breakthrough was to step with one foot in the rear footwell, with the seat moved all the way forward (the power seats "remember" where they were, and I think the manuals do too). In a sense I find it easier to carry the seat in and out compared to my wife's 4-door because you can't step in the rear footwell and tilt the seat forward like that. But access is tougher getting the seat in and out through the door, and you do have to move the seat forward every time (not too bad with shoulder-height fore/aft button in the 135), so all-in-all I found the 135 versus a compact 4-door a wash convenience-wise once I got the hang of it in the 135. I had previously ruled out coupes thinking they'd be too impractical with an infant seat, but was happy to discover otherwise.

(Note: Infant seat mounting, your infant's safety in general, and whether or not you use the center "seat" to mount an infant seat is your responsibility. These observations are for reference only. For additional reference, a car seat technician mentioned it is safest to carry your infant in the rear center position whenever possible. The dealer was not aware of any restriction precluding use of an infant seat in the rear center position, and it does not make mention of this one way or the other in the car's owner's manual).
This is exactly how I have my rear facing seat in my 135i plus add a booster behind the passenager seat!
      02-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #24
GO135i007
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i Alpine/Coral

This is great information because I just found out I'm going to be having another baby and I was hoping to not have to switch to a 535i.
      02-28-2011, 09:55 PM   #25
MTribe
Private
Rep
Drives: 10 135, 06 Elise, 71 TR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO135i007 View Post
This is great information because I just found out I'm going to be having another baby and I was hoping to not have to switch to a 535i.
Yeah--FWIW, after talking to a bunch of friends, I was pretty bummed to think I'd have to limit my search to 4-doors only. Not that it was the case with them, but I've heard certain givens with kids--"have kids, need an SUV" or 'have kids, had to get a minivan." Of course some actually do for their needs, but I found a few hours at dealers with water bottles to ballast the infant seat and a host of kid-gear to gauge trunk sizes, and I shattered some impressions of what cars would or wouldn't work for us. I remember being so happy driving home from the BMW dealer after discovering not only would the 135 work, it was actually one of the better options for us. Good to think creatively and take the time to test your assumptions! After all, the cost of a car is pretty steep for something you're not really excited about, right?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 10:38 AM   #26
GringoStar
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 - 335i

I'm in the same crowd. I have a 1 year old, and I am definitely happy to hear that it's fine to consider the 135. I am honestly concerned about having enough space for the little one.

This thread helped me decide to find the right 135!

I'll keep everyone posted when I make the purchase.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #27
cbrooks
Registered
Rep
Drives: 04 Subaru WRX

im in the same boat im looking at a 135 but my wife says it wont work i have yet to check it out but my daughter is only 3 months and is in rear facing im not worried about front facing just rear what about the plastic trey in the middle?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 08:09 PM   #28
Lucky_Strike
LtJG O-2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Garage List
I have 2 of these Recaro Vivo Booster seats. They fit fine in the back. My 5 & 7 year old boys find it very comfortable.
Attached Images

04-27-2012, 02:48 AM   #29
SinCalgary
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 135i DCT M-Sport

Have a Chicco KeyFit(Nice light infant bucket that also rocks when not in the car) rear facing seat for my 4 month old son. It's on the passenger side and the seat needs to be fairly far forward to make it work but thankfully my wife is only 5'3" and can be comfortable enough for shorter trips this way. We generally drive her SUV when going out as a family anyway but the 135 will fit the infant seat as stated and a Baby Jogger City Select stroller in the trunk with room to spare. Baby #2 in the next couple years might make it a bit less practical but still workable from the sounds of things.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 11:48 PM   #30
MTribe
Private
Rep
Drives: 10 135, 06 Elise, 71 TR6

The center position worked fine for a rear-facing seat for me, and I couldn't find anything from BMW suggesting not to do that. As for the plastic tray, it actually made a good platform but I had to prop the front of the seat up with a tightly rolled towel to get the right angle on the seat.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #31
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

Ugh. I think my time is near. The wife's been off the pill for about a week now, so we'll see. Not a fan of having anything that poops or pukes or throws stuff in my precious 1er. Nothin' against kiddo's - I love 'em, but between my 1er and my OCD, I'm in for a treat I think.
Pretty sure we're gonna have to get a 3rd car for me to use in those rare occasions.
      05-28-2017, 02:07 PM   #32
Walter K
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i (white)

Wanted to share this as hope for some looking to keep their 1ers when a baby arrives. My wife is 5 feet tall and fits in the front seat fine and can also fit behind me when I'm driving.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-29-2017, 08:28 AM   #33
YearOneOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 135i mineral grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalm40 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onDubs View Post
no, that's not even a seat and it is not designed to work that way.
Agree. In the coupes isn't there a plastic tray between the seats? In the vert there is a leather ridge. The 1-Series is at most a 4 seater.
2 lol. I just don't even allow people in my back seats and rarely the young whipper snapper
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 01:01 PM   #34
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

You all are lucky. With me in the car, my 1 is automatically a 3 seater with my 6'5" frame. With the car seat in the car, it's either a 2 seater or a 3 seater counting my daughter. And with the daughter in the car, there's a height limitation on how big the person can be to ride shotgun.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 09:45 AM   #35
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
Not sure if center position is fine, but the center position should not be used with the anchors in any BMW. Only with a seatbelt, so if we have no center seatbelt then guess its a no.

All BMWs only have anchors for each side not the center, and they say you should never put a seat in the center using an anchor from each side. They say the anchors are not designed to handle the load that way and they are not bridged behind. Even the latest X5 is not approved for center use with anchors.

Whether its truly safe or not who knows, but BMW will not be responsible if something goes wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTribe View Post
The center position worked fine for a rear-facing seat for me, and I couldn't find anything from BMW suggesting not to do that. As for the plastic tray, it actually made a good platform but I had to prop the front of the seat up with a tightly rolled towel to get the right angle on the seat.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 08:56 AM   #36
Hops128i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i, manual, sport pkg

Glad I resisted thoughts off getting a four door with our first child. Now that the kids are forward facing I'd say it might even be easier than a four door to belt them in since I can get them both at once while crouching in the area left from the moving the drivers seat (of course if you're tall it's probably not very comfortable)
      06-03-2017, 10:33 PM   #37
ndfan
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i m-sport

I can confirm that a britax boulevard was the model that fit best when we tried various models from a store. Even rear facing, my wife (who is not short) can easily fit in front of the child seat. Of course, putting the top down really helps!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 02:15 PM   #38
teaberry
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i M Sport Convert 6spd

I know this is an old post, but can you share any direct link to this information? I have always been told when possible to put your child in the center rear seat because it's the safest from side impacts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
Not sure if center position is fine, but the center position should not be used with the anchors in any BMW. Only with a seatbelt, so if we have no center seatbelt then guess its a no.

All BMWs only have anchors for each side not the center, and they say you should never put a seat in the center using an anchor from each side. They say the anchors are not designed to handle the load that way and they are not bridged behind. Even the latest X5 is not approved for center use with anchors.

Whether its truly safe or not who knows, but BMW will not be responsible if something goes wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 02:33 PM   #39
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
It states it in some of the manuals, but sometimes has to be implied by only using the anchors as stated.

Unless the manual says you can bridge the anchors from each side, you cant. In every BMW ever made the only way you can safely put a child seat in the middle is using the seat belt, that is 100% fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaberry View Post
I know this is an old post, but can you share any direct link to this information? I have always been told when possible to put your child in the center rear seat because it's the safest from side impacts.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 03:02 PM   #40
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Quote:

The 1-series coupe or cab does not have a center seat. It's safest to put a child in the center but ONLY when there is a center seat. If there's no center seat then putting them In either side seat is WAY safer than the center. The latch anchors in these cars are Not made to support a homemade solution of putting the seat in the center; which would be considered dangerous as the child seat would be mounted in a non-seat position.
      10-11-2018, 03:04 PM   #41
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
It states it in some of the manuals, but sometimes has to be implied by only using the anchors as stated.

Unless the manual says you can bridge the anchors from each side, you cant. In every BMW ever made the only way you can safely put a child seat in the middle is using the seat belt, that is 100% fact.

Quote:
You cannot use the seat belt installation either in the center of the 1-series coupe since the center area is technically not a seat.
      10-11-2018, 03:34 PM   #42
Matt@EuroJerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Cherokee

good to know...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 07:19 AM   #43
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@EuroJerks View Post
good to know...
Amazing this thread is still alive...my son is 7 now.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 05:34 PM   #44
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

It's official. 1er can fit two car seats in the back. I don't see why three can't fit back there!

My woman is 5ft so now that the car seat behind her is front facing she can move her seat back a bit more for more leg room.

I am very excited!!
Attached Images