BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-16-2017, 08:25 PM   #1
Mikendallas
Rep
Drives: Honda accord

I recently bought a new to me 2013 135is convertible It currently has about 25k miles on it and the factory warranty runs out in September. I plan on putting about 10k miles per year on the car. My wife and I absolutely love the car!! It's a rocket and I'm so glad we didn't buy a miata like we originally set out too. I've spent probably hours reading about extended warranties and all of the pros and cons. I've reached out for pricing and I can get the BMW extended warranty at a discount for an additional 3 years and 75k total miles for about 3k.
Conversely for the same price I can get the Route 66 third party warranty for 8 years 120k Total miles! They also offer warranties with less term and miles starting at about 2300 for comparable terms as the BMW one. I would love some feedback from the community on which warranty you would choose and why. I'm concerned about how well Route 66 will pay out as I don't have that fear with the platinum BMW warranty. Also will Route 66 still be around 8 years from now? At the same time getting a much longer warranty for the same price seems like a sweet deal almost too good to be true. I do think having a warranty will help with resale down the road.
Wife and I will probably keep the car for 4-5 years at which time we will try to move into a m240i convertible after someone else has taken all the depreciation! Thanks in advance for any input. Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 09:00 AM   #2
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I'm a huge supporter of aftermarket warranties. Mine has paid for itself many times over in one year of ownership. Since every car and every owner is a different story, it's really hard to say if you'll have the same experience. Personally, I would go for the longest window of coverage you can if you plan to keep the car.

I made a thread about my warranty experience that I suggest checking out:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1342480

The best thing you can do for yourself is THOROUGHLY read all of the details about what is NOT covered, and truly understand that before making a choice.

A 2013 with 25k on the clock shouldn't need much, but I thought the same of my 2013 with 50k, and.... well read that thread lol
      04-17-2017, 10:35 AM   #3
Mikendallas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
I'm a huge supporter of aftermarket warranties. Mine has paid for itself many times over in one year of ownership. Since every car and every owner is a different story, it's really hard to say if you'll have the same experience. Personally, I would go for the longest window of coverage you can if you plan to keep the car.

I made a thread about my warranty experience that I suggest checking out:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1342480

The best thing you can do for yourself is THOROUGHLY read all of the details about what is NOT covered, and truly understand that before making a choice.

A 2013 with 25k on the clock shouldn't need much, but I thought the same of my 2013 with 50k, and.... well read that thread lol
Oh wow you definitely made the right decision! Thanks for the reply. I love these cars but they definitely can cost a pretty penny to keep running
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 05:31 PM   #4
Mr Rooty Von Tooty
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i M-Sport

I'm looking into an extended warranty too.

I had some minor work done to my Mercedes this summer, and the tech mentioned the Route 66 Warranty. It paid out $1,500 for some work, and it is sold by a credit union affiliated with the USAF.

I wouldn't get the BMW Platinum Warranty. It is too expensive, and it covers a lot of trivial stuff. Also, at most, I keep a car for no more than 8 years, so I'm not going to get a 12-year warranty.

If you google Route 66, you'll get mixed reviews. I do know these companies come and go fairly frequently too.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 05:49 AM   #5
TX135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Coupe DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendallas View Post
I recently bought a new to me 2013 135is convertible It currently has about 25k miles on it and the factory warranty runs out in September. I plan on putting about 10k miles per year on the car. My wife and I absolutely love the car!! It's a rocket and I'm so glad we didn't buy a miata like we originally set out too. I've spent probably hours reading about extended warranties and all of the pros and cons. I've reached out for pricing and I can get the BMW extended warranty at a discount for an additional 3 years and 75k total miles for about 3k.
Conversely for the same price I can get the Route 66 third party warranty for 8 years 120k Total miles! They also offer warranties with less term and miles starting at about 2300 for comparable terms as the BMW one. I would love some feedback from the community on which warranty you would choose and why. I'm concerned about how well Route 66 will pay out as I don't have that fear with the platinum BMW warranty. Also will Route 66 still be around 8 years from now? At the same time getting a much longer warranty for the same price seems like a sweet deal almost too good to be true. I do think having a warranty will help with resale down the road.
Wife and I will probably keep the car for 4-5 years at which time we will try to move into a m240i convertible after someone else has taken all the depreciation! Thanks in advance for any input. Mike
I struggled in deciding to get a warranty extension or not, but so glad I did. I bought the BMW Gold package thinking that just the impending water pump failure alone would pay me back. Just since I bought the warranty about 18 mos ago, I've had the charge pipe blow (2nd one), the water pump go out, the oil filter housing gasket replaced, a wheel bearing go bad, and the wiper motor go out. Good news is that I made the right call, but I still marvel at how many issues these cars have. Stupid ones. And my car has 63K now of well maintained, non-abused miles. I'm 55 years old and have driven many, many cars over the last 40 years, and this is probably the worst quality car I've ever had. But I love it....damn it.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 08:30 AM   #6
Mikendallas
Rep

Yeah what you have experienced is the reason I'm leaning towards getting one! Thanks for the response these are definitely fun cars to drive though!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 06:02 PM   #7
rho123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i - sold, 2007 Z4C

Quote:
Yeah what you have experienced is the reason I'm leaning towards getting one! Thanks for the response these are definitely fun cars to drive though!
Great feedback. I am contemplating this for my new-to-me 2013 128i which warranty will expire in July. 128s are generally less problematic but so far I have had OFG gasket replaced and one key fob replaced- just two months ownership. Any comments from fellow n51 owners out there?
      04-20-2017, 10:45 AM   #8
Mr Rooty Von Tooty
Banned
United_States
Rep

Consumer Reports thinks BMW & Mercedes owners should consider one!

Check this out:

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/...ranty-a-821540

Last edited by Mr Rooty Von Tooty; 04-20-2017 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 09:17 AM   #9
NVHoo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i red convertible

Ask your local BMW service folks for their claims experience

You can either ask them what aftermarket plans they deal with and have positive experience, or search yourself and then ask for their experience with that company. I've found them to be honest because they do not want hassles any more than you do.

The first rule of warranties is that you want a policy that lists what is does not include rather than what it does include. For example I've seen some "drive train" only warranties that consider the drive train to start at the pistons so the entire air and fuel intake system is NOT covered.

I had an early (2001) Audi TT roadster new and when the factory warranty expired I had been having minor issues about every 9 months so I got an extended warranty. It came down to the Audi warranty or Warranty Direct which I bought after discussions with my Service Manager. Most aftermarket warranties cover repairs done by dealers or ASE-certified indy shops. Warranty Direct was cheaper but did not cover any fluids needed in a repair nor rip-off diagnostic fees (I did not realize this). For that experience I broke even, that is, the cost insurance covered was about what I paid for insurance. Also, if I added the fluid and diagnostic cost, my total outlay was the same as if I had chosen the Audi warranty because they covered fluids and required Audi dealers to not charge diagnostic fees. Also, be advised that Warranty Direct at that time did not cover anything associated with lights and if the leveling system on my TT headlights had failed ($1K part) it would not have been covered but the Audi warranty did cover it.

I got my 128 convertible at Carmax just after the factory warranty expired. I took one look at the top mechanism and decided that a warranty was probably a good idea. The Carmax warranty was incredibly cheap for 5 years & 50K (I only drive 10K a year) and $150 deductible for only $2K. I'm only 2 years into ownership and Carmax has already paid BMW over $4K for electrical and AC issues(and the top has operated flawlessly).
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 10:29 AM   #10
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 Convertible 6MT

I went back and forth on buying one when my factory warranty expired just over a year ago.

Like you I was quoted about $3k for the Gold package.
The Platinum package would only really be necessary if you have nav.

Neither package covered the convertible top, which is partly why I ultimately opted out.

Of course 2 months after the factory warranty expired I had the dreaded oil filer housing gasket issue which is a $1k repair on a 135.

I have ~47k miles on the car now.

So if in the next 2 years I have less that $2k in repairs [that would have been covered by the warranty] then it was a smart choice. Assuming I need a water pump before then its going to be close assuming nothing else goes wrong.

As others have noted read carefully what the extended warranty does and doesn't cover. Its not the same bumper to bumper deal that comes with a new vehicle.

I would stay away from 3rd party warranties but that's just me. Others have different opinions on them however.
      04-23-2017, 12:16 PM   #11
Mr Rooty Von Tooty
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Three additional years for $3K is a great deal.

My dealer wants $4,369 for 84 months (+3 years) and $3,469 for 72 months (+2 years).

Can you tell me who you reached out to? I'll be happy to buy the same deal!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 08:34 PM   #12
Mr Rooty Von Tooty
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rooty Von Tooty View Post

My dealer wants $4,369 for 84 months (+3 years) and $3,469 for 72 months (+2 years).

I was at a BMW dealer today, and he recommended:

CNA National

It has three levels of protection similar to BMW's. The price is considerably better. Their best for 4 years and a maximum of 30K miles with a $100 deductible is $1,950.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 06:32 PM   #13
Mikendallas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr%20Rooty%20Von%20Tooty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rooty Von Tooty View Post

I was at a BMW dealer today, and he recommended:

CNA National

It has three levels of protection similar to BMW's. The price is considerably better. Their best for 4 years and a maximum of 30K miles with a $100 deductible is $1,950.
Great thank you I'll check out that warranty
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 11:51 AM   #14
Mr Rooty Von Tooty
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mr credit union offers the Route 66 warranty. I have checked with all the BMW, Mercedes, and Porsche independent repair shops in my area. Each one has told me they have had issues with the warranty. You have to be very careful that your problem is covered under the terms of the warranty. What that implies is you almost have to be a lawyer to use it!

I quoted some prices for the BMW Gold warranty from a jerk salesman below. I went to another BMW store and got a 7/75 for $3,819 discounted to $3,519. I'm going to check some other BMW dealers and see what they say.

I'd prefer the BMW, but I might try the CNA National (see below). Unfortunately, after reviewing it with net information, I'm no closer to giving any opinion about it. Reviews are all over the place!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 05:52 PM   #15
hernandez706
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

I bought a warranty for my 135is from Route 66 last September. I haven't had to use it 'til now. My car is at the dealership for some vanos issue and oil leaks. Supposedly everything is covered minus taxes, diagnosis fees, fluids, and shop supplies. However, the warranty has a $0 deductible, so in theory, my "deductible" will be these costs. My car should be ready by Tuesday. I'll give you guys my feedback soon. On the bright side, I'm driving a fairly loaded 430i coupe.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 08:06 AM   #16
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
I have the Route 66 through my credit union. So far I've used it for an Oil Filter Housing Gasket repair. No problem & no questions from them. Shop dealt with them and it was paid quickly. Over the next 5 years I expect it will pay for itself. It's worth it just for the piece of mind as well knowing that anything except regular maintenance is covered.
      05-02-2017, 03:00 PM   #17
Mikendallas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernandez706 View Post
I bought a warranty for my 135is from Route 66 last September. I haven't had to use it 'til now. My car is at the dealership for some vanos issue and oil leaks. Supposedly everything is covered minus taxes, diagnosis fees, fluids, and shop supplies. However, the warranty has a $0 deductible, so in theory, my "deductible" will be these costs. My car should be ready by Tuesday. I'll give you guys my feedback soon. On the bright side, I'm driving a fairly loaded 430i coupe.
Thanks please let us know how it works out!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 03:01 PM   #18
Mikendallas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
I have the Route 66 through my credit union. So far I've used it for an Oil Filter Housing Gasket repair. No problem & no questions from them. Shop dealt with them and it was paid quickly. Over the next 5 years I expect it will pay for itself. It's worth it just for the piece of mind as well knowing that anything except regular maintenance is covered.
I think it will too. Thanks for the response
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 07:24 PM   #19
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernandez706 View Post
In for update.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0