BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-12-2014, 01:20 PM   #1
Suzi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 135i

2009 135i Modifications

I've just purchased a 2009 135i and am planning on the following modifications:
- Intake AFE
- Catback exhaust
- Intercooler
- Recirc valves
- Front swaybar

Thoughts? Also, any comments on the Hooked on Driving experience? I've only tracked as a passenger and am looking for a safe and fun way to learn.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 03:54 PM   #2
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

What are your goals?

The intake and exhaust will give you a different sound, but no appreciable hp increase.

Intercooler good. Can't comment on the valves or swaybar, don't hear about them that often.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 04:47 PM   #3
llowlife
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 135i

Everyone will have different priorites for their car depending on what they want out of it.

Heres what I did in a generally chronological order and my results. I do all my own stunts and have a well equipped shop so labor costs is not factored in on any of my mods.

M3 front sway bar. One of the better additions for the money for handling. I give it an 9

Struts for lowering and handling. A worthwhile addition in my opinion, but this one is very subjective. I wanted the look as much as the handling on this one. I give it a 6.

Rear M3 sub-frame bushings. Very worthwhile addition for handling. I give it an 8 but installation is a PITA.

Wavetrac differential. Made one of the best improvements of anything I did. Transformed the car as far as track and traction. But again I only paid for the parts so unless you can find anyone in your area to swap diffs its very expensive. I give it a 9.

Performance I have a cobb tune on 30% meth. I give the cobb an 8. There are other tunes out there as well. Nice bump in power.

KN air filter in a stock box for the time being. I will stick with the stock airbox for now and plan on making some modifications to it. I am in the camp of colder air. Opinions may differ. I give it a 7 based solely on the fact that its only 50 bucks and stupid easy

Larger intercooler which depending on what your goals are may not be worth it for you at least for starters. I give it a 6. Install is fairly straight forward.

Catless Down pipes. Install without a hoist and my hats off to you. Worthwhile addition for performance. I give it a 7+. CEL is an issue with certain tunes.

One of the last thing I will do is an aftermarket exhaust.

A worthwhile thing you could do is check to see if you need a walnut blast. Or just some maintenance in general if you had and auto tranny or bleed the brakes and put some better fluid in etc.

This year it is receiving a Charge pipe and tial BOV or QRJ valve only because boost pressures will eventually destroy the old ones.

If you are running stock boosts not sure you will need to do a DV or not.

I can not speak to the Hooked on driving course but I do recommend some instruction of some sorts.

Just some of my "thoughts"
Cobb e30 tune, VRSF DP's, 7"intercooler, Chargepipe w/ Tial BOV, RB PVC, Wavetrac LSD, KN air filter, More suspension upgrades than I can remember. Alpina tranny flash. I am putting the mods here in case I DO forget. Coming soon to a 135i near you, a one off exhaust and a one off oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 07:35 PM   #4
Suzi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 135i

Thanks lowlife, great info.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 07:58 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
- Intake AFE
- Catback exhaust
- Intercooler
- Recirc valves
- Front swaybar

Thoughts? Also, any comments on the Hooked on Driving experience? I've only tracked as a passenger and am looking for a safe and fun way to learn.
If your goal is more power and more enjoyable driving experience, i would start with a JB4 and DP.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
JTB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Is your car stock? If so, your suggested modifications are not the most logical - especially if you are looking for an HPDE setup.

Speaking of which, Hooked on Driving appears to be an organized form of "high performance driving events". If this is of interest it may be a good place to start. You could also look into your local BMW car club chapter as they will have some track days - probable for less money.

In regards to spending money... You might first buy a helmet and some brake pads that are up to some light track duty. Once you have some exposure, you will have a better idea what should come next. If you love it, this will probably be wheels, tires, and suspension mods.

Intake, exhaust, bovs are a waste of time at this point unless you want looks and sound. The sway bar and intercooler are a good idea - just not for your first mods.

Good luck,
2009 135i - let the modding begin!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 04:15 PM   #7
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
- Intake AFE
- Catback exhaust
- Intercooler
- Recirc valves
- Front swaybar

#1 -
Non Runflat tires.

#2 -
Dampers, Subframe bushings or inserts, change the transmission and rear diff fluid, maybe M3 front and maybe rear arms too. Not sure I would start off with a sway bar without any of that first. Also highly recommend doing the CDV delete if you're a manual.

#3 -
Do power once you get used to the cars handling. I'd start JB4/DP/Intercooler/Chargepipe/DCI and then add other exhaust mods

Then worry about anything else. If you have a huge amount of free income maybe start off and add a quality LSD to the first round of mods.

Anyone who says replacing the dampers on these cars isn't necessary for improving handling is not someone I would listen to on anything related to this platform IMO.

Have fun!