BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-10-2009, 06:59 AM   #1
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Effectiveness of wind deflector for e88

I just got my wind deflector Saturday and drove to work with the top down (too hot here to go home that way comfortably). I go on the interstate for most of the way at speeds up to 65 or so. My first 7 miles is at a 45 mph speed limit, however.

My impression is that the wind deflector makes about the same difference in turbulence as rolling the windows up. I know this has been discussed before but I don't think anybody has characterized it this way. I go through my development with the windows down and then roll them up after accelerating to 45 mph. I noticed I left the windows down for a few miles at 45 mph and then I figured out why. I then rolled the windows up and could easily detect that the turbulence dropped again.

For anybody still thinking about the deflector, I thought I would pass that along. It's a lot for basically nicely formed plastic but it does make a difference and it seems like it will hold up. I got mine on ebay motors for $350 + $12 shipping for $362 total. The pivot arrangement on the drivers side is a bit of a concern but it works. Turbulence is not too bad to me without the deflector but definitely is reduced by the deflector. And it is easy to put in and out (it is spring loaded and you just put pins into the two holes on each side in the back that are in the sides for this purpose and then attach the hinge on the drivers side - the hardest part but not so hard once you get it).

Jim
      08-10-2009, 07:31 AM   #2
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Good review, thanks. It's something that I've been on the fence about for a while.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 11:49 AM   #3
annsue
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i convertible

How do you lower it while it's still in place? Is that possible? It doesn't seem to want to do it willingly - I'm afraid I'll break something if I force it.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #4
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible (AW/CR)

As a woman with shoulder-length hair, let me offer this assessment...

With the top down and no other accommodations, I have to wear a baseball cap to contain my hair while driving. Not to keep it nice or anything, but to keep it from dangerously whipping in my face.

With the top down and the windows up, I still need the baseball cap. Not as severely, but noticeably.

With the top down and the wind deflector up only, I need no baseball cap. I still have to run a brush through my hair when I'm done driving, but it's not that bad.

With the top down and the windows up and the wind deflector up, well, I should have bought the coupe with the sun roof!

I have a good friend who rides with me a lot and her hair is much longer than mine. She has the same findings.

I know you guys are mostly interested in the wind deflector for the benefit of your female passengers, so there you go.

amy!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible (AW/CR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by annsue View Post
How do you lower it while it's still in place? Is that possible? It doesn't seem to want to do it willingly - I'm afraid I'll break something if I force it.
You just push it slightly and it flips right down.

I usually keep it in place unless I'm driving people in the back seat. However, when the top is up, I don't want to have it interfering with the rear visibility so I push it down. When the top is up again, I just reach over my left shoulder and give it a small tug and it pulls right back up into place.

amy!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport

I used my wind deflector all winter at temperatures of down to 15ºF, and only my right ear got cold. thing works like a charm.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #7
annsue
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks so much, Amy - it did go down when I gave it a firm little push. I was afraid to do that before, since it's made of plastic and I didn't want anything to snap off. I was getting really tired of looking through a "screen" out my back window when the top was up!

I have short hair and with the wind deflector combined with the Miracle of Hair Spray, you can't even tell I've been driving a convertible with the top down when I arrive at my destination.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 03:37 PM   #8
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I still get a bit of turbulence with the deflector and the windows up. My hair is far from shoulder length and can't get in my eyes but what I have left on top moves around some - but if it didn't it would be like a sunroof on a sedan. My hair ends up fluffed a bit more than normal by the time I get to work (no blowdryer or hairspray for me).

My head may be a little closer to the top of the windshield than some - I purposely place myself an inch or two off the top when it is up.

Jim
      08-10-2009, 04:39 PM   #9
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

I find the deflector helps a lot during cold weather driving more than now in the summer. When you feel that cold air hitting the back of your neck you will be thankful you can flip up the deflector.

And, I can count on one hand the times I've driven with the top down and the windows up. It just looks goofy.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 05:20 PM   #10
annsue
Private
United_States
Rep

I should add that my hair blows around a whole lot more when I'm riding in my husband's Infiniti with the windows down and the sunroof open than when I'm in my convertible with the windows down and the wind deflector up. Go figure!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 06:53 PM   #11
Jammer005
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Cab

So far I'm liking my new deflector I purchased this month but since it's summer time the real benefit is for my wife and daughters long hair. It's easy to see the difference because you can simply reach back and flip it down or up while you are driving.

But for myself, I am expecting that it will extend my early spring and late fall driving by a month on either end tied in with running the heater.

But, I will point out that I don't like looking out the mesh on the screen. Because I have a heavy foot, I'm always keeping my eyes out for police and I do find that I have to strain more and use my side mirrors to get a sharp image of what's behind me, especially in the evening.
Also, as I mentioned on an earlier thread - the screen does wobble/flex at higher speeds, which I find a bit distracting - but I'll get used to it.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #12
singular
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i ppk cab

I see the wind deflector as a definite must-have.

I've driven almost exclusively top-down since the rains in northern California stopped in March, soon after I got my 135.

With the deflector up, I can drive with the windows down at higher speeds. I pretty much only put the windows up when I'm on the highway doing 65+. And that's mostly to cut road noise so I can hear my tunes or talk.

Yeah, it's pretty expensive for what you get. But, IMO, it's worth it. I might feel different if I lived elsewhere where I can't go top-down as much, but, in that case, I might have gotten a coupe!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 10:25 PM   #13
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

The wind deflector is an absolute must on a cold chilly day..

I dont understand how the OP could find any difference with the deflector in place. My wife like Amybang has long hair where I have chosen the shaven head look and like Amy said it does make a huge difference.

During the warmer days in summer the deflector doesnt see daylight..

But it is a must to keep that chilly breeze from hitting the back of your head/neck. I have driven in 5 Deg Celuis temp with the roof down and deflector and windows up with the heated seats on...BLISS....
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 11:44 PM   #14
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

I never really cared enough about the wind in the cockpit to buy the wind deflector. Although I did borrow one and I was impressed at how still the air was. That being said I have gone top down and windows down on 15 degree days and loved it. I had a hat, jackets, and gloves. I was fine.

That being said, it would make my gf very happy. She doesnt let me put the top down b/c of her hair.

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 12:58 AM   #15
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

If it wasnt for the missus I would rather just rug up in a warm coat and hat, than have the deflector up in the rear..

Dont really care for the look of it...

I think it could have been about 4-6 inches lower..have looked at modding it up..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 07:42 AM   #16
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
I think it could have been about 4-6 inches lower..have looked at modding it up..
It always did seem like a great place to put a trunk monkey

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 10:07 AM   #17
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

The wind deflector increases the choices of conditions inside the cockpit. There are occassions when turbulence needs to be contained, and instead of having to close the top, the windscreen allows the top to remain open and still provide a calm environment.

As far as the windscreen's appearance goes, I think it looks cool, although it is most often folded down or stowed away.

Also, since I seldom wear a coat or jacket, once in a while those early mornings and evenings can get chilly outside. Instead of putting on any warmer clothes, I can still keep the top open and use the windscreen and windows with the heater turned on.

When using the climate control, the vehicle's interior heat is far better contained with the use of the windscreen than without.

TM