BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-28-2016, 05:51 PM   #1
CrisCrossAppleSauce
Private
Rep
Drives: 01 Z3 3.0i Coupe

Replaced wet amp, still no sound?

Recently replaced my wet amplifier as I was getting no sound whatsoever not even the dong or the open door chime. I bought a fairly new amp on here same matching numbers and all and it still doesn't work. I checked the fuses and they're all god, I even unplugged the battery and tried again and nothing....

Any clue as to why this is happening or how i can fix it?

Last edited by CrisCrossAppleSauce; 11-28-2016 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 05:55 PM   #2
klipse
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 335i

Oh gosh, I've always worried about something like this happening. Subbed
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 12:31 PM   #3
Broken135i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Black 6 Speed

When i drive a long time my deck's screen goes pixelated and i get a sword through the sos symbol in the cluster- no sound at all, only on long drives with the heat blasting it would seem... wonder if theres water attacking the amp tho...
      12-04-2016, 12:34 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

So... Do you have power and ground at the Amp ? I would "back probe" the amp's connector with a volt(VOM) meter.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2016, 12:46 PM   #5
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

Could be the combox... if you had water in the trunk. It's under the carpet in the trunk. All of the components in the media system are linked via fiber optics, and if one module in the system malfunctions none will communicate and you get no sound
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2016, 09:04 PM   #6
Silenus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Was the water leak diagnosed and repaired? I assume it was just a spill, if not.

Look at the connectors to the amp. Is the wiring harness corroded?
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2016, 02:12 AM   #7
CrisCrossAppleSauce
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
So... Do you have power and ground at the Amp ? I would "back probe" the amp's connector with a volt(VOM) meter.
How would I exactly check for ground? It's the one thing I don't understand? Sorry as I'm still a newb at all of this and I'm learning as I go along? I'm ordering a back probe kit so that should help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo135i View Post
Could be the combox... if you had water in the trunk. It's under the carpet in the trunk. All of the components in the media system are linked via fiber optics, and if one module in the system malfunctions none will communicate and you get no sound
How would I be able to check if it's the Combox or not as I've replaced both the amp and my CA module and nothing still?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silenus View Post
Was the water leak diagnosed and repaired? I assume it was just a spill, if not.

Look at the connectors to the amp. Is the wiring harness corroded?

I checked and there's very light corrosion I've cleaned it out with a toothbrush and alcohol.

From all of this I seeem to think it may be the combox but when checking if any water got on it there was none, so at the moment my sound isn't working and neither is my comfort access so I'm wondering if that may be the cause, I'm out of warranty so I may take it in to a known independent shop here in so cal, Bavarian garage and see what they can tell me.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 01:56 PM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisCrossAppleSauce View Post
How would I exactly check for ground? It's the one thing I don't understand? Sorry as I'm still a newb at all of this and I'm learning as I go along? I'm ordering a back probe kit so that should help!
You will need a wiring diagram or maybe look on the wire connector for the Amp.

The Germans(and American cars) use terminal numbers to designate ground or "hot" wires or even terminals on a relay that are "hot" or "grounds".

Ground = #31
switch +12v(igintion on) = #15

Constant power = #30
Relay ground = #85
Relay power = #86
Switched positive relay = #87 or #87a

Here is a typical relay with terminal numbering.

Name:  Relay terminals SPDT relay-schematic energized.jpg
Views: 1280
Size:  59.0 KB

This thread wight help you out some in understanding wiring.
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ean-DIN-Wiring

IF you can find the ground wire at the end of the Amp power cable.... you could use a volt/ohm meter(using OHMS with the radio off!) and check for how many ohms you have between the two ground wires. Find a chassis ground near the amp or use the negative battery post - with an extended meter cable.

also maybe this video will help you understand grounds...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 06:15 PM   #9
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

now that you mention the comfort access doesn't work it reminded me that on some cars the amp and comfort access run off the same fuse.... check all the fuses in the trunk
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 02:54 AM   #10
CrisCrossAppleSauce
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo135i View Post
now that you mention the comfort access doesn't work it reminded me that on some cars the amp and comfort access run off the same fuse.... check all the fuses in the trunk
There is fuses in the trunk?, or do you mean glove compartment as I've checked those.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 01:42 PM   #11
CrisCrossAppleSauce
Private
Rep

So I managed to get all my other electrical problems, my tpms and comfort access module, fixed by a local shop and programmed and they work now! I also took it in for my amplifier and they simply said the amp wasn't communicating with the system and they recommended me getting a new one which is $1,300. I don't have that money to spend at the moment so I couldn't get that fixed.

Any idea as to how one can fix that?
The amplifier I got was practically new.
Appreciate 0