BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-10-2017, 09:55 PM   #1
Joal0503
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

New Suspension and Wheels...What should I know?

So, I finally bought in to some new suspension and wheels. I have an 09 135i with around 80K and was pretty sick with my beat up OEM wheels and sloppy OEM suspension setup.

I chose the following for my daily drive setup

Bilstein B-12 Pro-Kit

Sportline 8S wheels
Front Wheels:18x8.5 ET45 Semi Deep
Rear Wheels:18x9.5 ET62 Semi Deep

Front Tire:215/40ZR-18
Rear Tire:245/35ZR-18

But outside of that, I am a bit apprehensive because I really don't know what else might be needed. My plan is to wait a couple weeks before an alignment, but what sort of alignment numbers should I look at when it comes time? Should I even wait? I was told this setup would fit together, but do I need to look out for any weird adjustments or things that won't work?

Also, will I need to adjust my headlights too? ANY info is appreciated, thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 12:20 AM   #2
titium
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

you'll want an alignment right after install.

those tyres will be streched alot on the width of wheels you've quoted. something like 245F 265R would be more suitable (245 will need extra camber and maybe a fender roll, not sure what you'll need to fit 265 in the rear)

headlights will be fine provided the sensors are properly installed.

have you done the rear subframe bushes? I'd personally upgrade these before touching anything else.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 08:14 PM   #3
nanotech
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i SGM M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joal0503 View Post
I chose the following for my daily drive setup

Bilstein B-12 Pro-Kit

Sportline 8S wheels
Front Wheels:18x8.5 ET45 Semi Deep
Rear Wheels:18x9.5 ET62 Semi Deep

Front Tire:215/40ZR-18
Rear Tire:245/35ZR-18
Did you get this together / installed yet? What rubber did you run? Hope you went up to 225/40F, 255/35R or so on those width wheels. They are an inch wider than factory 18" wheels M261 wheels (7.5"F, 8.5"R). I would assume the offsets you chose would fit, the rears will be a bit more tucked in than factory I'd guess. Nothing should rub in rear unless you went mega wide on tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joal0503 View Post
But outside of that, I am a bit apprehensive because I really don't know what else might be needed. My plan is to wait a couple weeks before an alignment, but what sort of alignment numbers should I look at when it comes time? Should I even wait? I was told this setup would fit together, but do I need to look out for any weird adjustments or things that won't work?

Also, will I need to adjust my headlights too? ANY info is appreciated, thanks!!
You will need an alignment after the B12 kit goes on, the geometry will be messed up. Try for max negative camber you can get to up front, probably about -1.5 degree, particularly if you went for wider front wheels. Rear, factory spec -1.75 is good if you can still get there. Adjust the toe however you prefer, OEM settings will be fine for a street car, run a bit less toe in all around to dial out some of the understeer, but keep it toed in, not toed out! I had trouble with one shop that didn't seem to understand how to set the eccentric bolts on the rear of the car when I put my B12 kit on, and they brought it back with less camber than it went in with (not even in spec), so pay attention to the sheet you get back from them with specs.

You don't need any new parts for the headlights with the B12 kit, but you'll need a few turns on the white adjuster screws on the headlights, or the lights will be pointing at the ground. I forget how many full turns I needed, 4-6 I think, to get back to proper light level, with the bi-xenons.
Appreciate 0