BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-05-2017, 01:50 PM   #1
cam36
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 Wrangler

EBC Stage 5 Brakes?

Hey guys,

I need to get new pads and rotors for my 1er. Does anyone know anything about the kit below?

https://www.amazon.com/EBC-S5KR1319-...35i+rotors+ebc

I know EBC is a reputable brand, but the price seems too good to be true and there are no reviews on Amazon.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 07:46 AM   #2
FactorX81
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 2014 Ford Escape Ti

I have these rotors and pads on my car although I didn't buy them in a set like that. So I will try to provide some info.

Pads: EBC Yellow are good pads, I have no complaints about them they aren't noisy and have OE like feel but take temperature a bit better. They are also pretty cheap and stand up to my novice track abuse.

Rotors: Its a mixed bag really. I had one that had slightly more inner lip material and rubbed my dust shield. They make more noise than stock because of the slots, so with the windows open you hear them more(not too bad for me). They are heavier than oe because they are not bi-metal. They have a tendency to grab and kick out the brake pad sensors. On the plus side they do work well with high heat of track driving offering less fade IMO than the OE with EBC yellow pad. This may be because they have the extra mass of the center being iron or possibly the vane design is different. They are reasonably priced and they look cool if that's your thing.

Hope that helps a little.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 08:40 AM   #3
cam36
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactorX81 View Post
I have these rotors and pads on my car although I didn't buy them in a set like that. So I will try to provide some info.

Pads: EBC Yellow are good pads, I have no complaints about them they aren't noisy and have OE like feel but take temperature a bit better. They are also pretty cheap and stand up to my novice track abuse.

Rotors: Its a mixed bag really. I had one that had slightly more inner lip material and rubbed my dust shield. They make more noise than stock because of the slots, so with the windows open you hear them more(not too bad for me). They are heavier than oe because they are not bi-metal. They have a tendency to grab and kick out the brake pad sensors. On the plus side they do work well with high heat of track driving offering less fade IMO than the OE with EBC yellow pad. This may be because they have the extra mass of the center being iron or possibly the vane design is different. They are reasonably priced and they look cool if that's your thing.

Hope that helps a little.
Appreciate the feedback! This insight definitely helps
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 12:12 AM   #4
litebulb
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E88 135i M-Sport/6MT/SGM

Garage List
I have a similar setup with the same EBC rotors and redstuff pads. If I was to do it all over again I wouldn't purchase the rotors. The slots are too wide apart which cause a shutter, it is downright scary during hard braking. I love that the pads have a lot less dust, fade is good for my type of driving and about 60% of the initial bite of OE which allows me to modulate better.
| Dinan S2=>MHD | e46 M3 trans mounts | Dinan CF CAI | ER CP | HKS SSQV4 BOV | RB PCV Valve | VRSF DP | N55 MP | BMW PE | OC | VRSF 7" FMIC | UUC Evo3 SSK | EBC GD Sport Rotors | EBC Redstuff | TRW F+R | | Whiteline KDT918 | H&R Front Sway | BMWP 313 | MPSS 225/255 | Scopione CF Rear Diffuser | iCarbon CF Rear Spoiler | P3 v2.1 Gauge | Interior LED Retrofit |
Appreciate 1
cam3610.50
      02-09-2017, 12:34 AM   #5
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

I used the GD sport rotors for track driving combined with Ferodo DS2500 pads. I have no issues with them.
I like the fact that they are dimpled rotors, and not drilled though which makes them less prone to cracks.
For street driving I think you would be better off with the stock rotors. The slots + dimples cause a slight noise and may wear the pads faster.
Appreciate 1
cam3610.50