E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Is Navigation a must?

04-19-2006, 04:44 PM   #1
tracerit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT

Is Navigation a must?

I'd like to get some sort of navigation system in my next car, and the 330i is one that I am considering. The problem is that it looks ugly (the ceiling over the screen), cheap (when off, the rectangular screen stands out from the curvy border), and I've heard that BMW's iDrive isn't so user friendly, but personally i've yet to try it out.

Has anyone regret not getting Navi with their E90? Or for those that have it, are you happy?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 04:49 PM   #2
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Geez, you're listing more problems than benefits, if any, for yourself.

Navigation speaks for itself. I had one on the first TL. It suits its purposes. Period. Only you should know whether navigation is any use for your driving purposes.

EDIT: On top of that, iDrive/Nav has additional options that non-iDrive E90s lack, such as auto-ventilation, better radio/MP3 displays, potential DVD player upgrade, etc.
      04-19-2006, 05:16 PM   #3
bemison
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I reluctantly ordered Nav with my new 330. Now I can't live without it. A definite must have.
      04-19-2006, 05:46 PM   #4
CMD
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I'm absolutely 100% happy with my nav! As bemison stated above, it's a must have -- and I think it looks good too!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 05:52 PM   #5
firstkill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

I think it works great, and with the I drive controller it makes it very simple.

and it works while MOVING

~fk
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 06:25 PM   #6
BIGWILL
I heard your eyeballs move Pvt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rep
Drives: 2011 E Class 4Matic Sport Merc

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I love my Navi . I learn something new about it every week. I have to admit that the Navi system in my previous Acura TSX was more user friendly, but hey you gotta love German technology
      04-19-2006, 06:28 PM   #7
parachute
parachute
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Garage List
2011 335i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
honestly, I may not have gotten a couple of things like premium package or xenon lights (which I am praying to get euro specs somehow), without the navi in my car I would have comitted suicide!!!

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 06:39 PM   #8
330eye
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330I BLK/BLK/SP/PP/NAV/CA

Garage List
2006 330I  [0.00]
Get it, you won't be sorry.

iDrive is very easy to learn. I also love the split screen and voice commands. MP3's on the left, nav on the right.

The only problem I have found is that there are a few errors on the map DVD (not the fault of BMW). I have submitted three corrections to Navtec, but got no response.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 06:40 PM   #9
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Nah, just get a TomTom and you can bring it from car to car.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 06:45 PM   #10
sajewiczmd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 911 C4 Cabriolet

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
dash looks kinda plain without the navi. anyone agree???

I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 07:56 PM   #11
BitStream
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
sorry if I offend anyone here, but I think the dash looks very boring on the non i-drive models compared to models w/i-drive.

it is hands down the best feature of the car as far as i am concerned.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 08:22 PM   #12
sblument
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
on the other hand, the non-idrive dash has a clean, classic, uncluttered look...
      04-19-2006, 08:34 PM   #13
bimmer4me
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sblument
on the other hand, the non-idrive dash has a clean, classic, uncluttered look...
To each's own, but the iDrive console has a clean, modern, uncluttered look...A LOT less buttons.

2006 330i Monaco Blue | Grey | Walnut
...Manual | Sports | Premium | Cold | Nav | Comfort Access | PDC | Sirius | Sunshade
...M-Tec Steering Wheel | M-Tec Shifter | TLC
...Performance Center Delivery | Oct 14, 2005
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2006, 12:07 AM   #14
aphall
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i rec'd 2/17/06

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
I'm all for the non-nav look. I didn't want to justify spending $2,500 on a nav system, and I'm not regretting that I didn't get it. Like someone said, depends on your driving needs. Others will say there are other functions the nav provides other than directions. I just bought a portable Nav ($300), and only take it with me when I don't know where I'm going, or give it to the girlfriend so she doesn't call me when she's lost.. hahaha... Otherwise, it stays at home.

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2006, 01:35 AM   #15
London320d
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 320dSE

Only you will know if navigation suits you, but here are some pointers

If your market has the choice of "Business" or "Professional" nav, and you decide to go for nav, DO go for the "Professional". Business is a false economy.

Pros.
Clear Moving map display
Well integrated with all of the other car electrionics.
Takes Traffic information an plots it on the map and routes you around jams (If that info is broadcast in your country - It's called TMC)
Takes information from other sensors in the car for "dead reconing" to improve positional fix or provide coverage if the GPS signal is lost (hand helds can't do this!)
iDrive. (If you like it)
You don't have to program in a route, you can just have it display a moving map of the local area (and plot TMC alerts if that info is broadcast)

Cons
Cost (but I think that the tight integration with the rest of the car overrides this)
iDrive (if you dont like it - my view is that it takes a little getting used to, and works best when used alongside voice control)
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2006, 06:26 AM   #16
DWUK
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d Sport Auto

I was kind of torn between buying the Nav Professional on mine - heard all sorts of "mixed" reviews about I-Drive, more bad than good

My advise - go to your dealer and try it, I did and wound up loving the thing, yes it takes time to get use to, but 30mins spent playing with the system is time well spent!!!
I find now that the I-Drive is easy and intuitive and the amount of functions it has tucked away is incredible - coupled with the voice command function - amazing

Yes agreed with everyone here who has commented that the dash looks VERY plain without I-Drive couldn't agree more (think see of grey/black plastic!)

The Nav itself - is very good, especially like how in the UK at least it has a dynamic route recalculation tool - picks up on traffic alerts and re-directs you!!! Excellent. As well as plenty of local information such as nearest hotels, restaurants and stuff!
Plus the amount of information you get on the screen - the phone function, MP3 listings, trip computer data, direction of travel, you could say info overload, if you want it the data is there!!!

Ohhhh nearly forgot, with the I-Drive system, you have access to all the "other functions" too, door lock settings, light settings, car maintenance functions (graphics on oil, tyre pressure etc).

You don't know what your missing if you don't go and have a play

Try it - you might like it
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2006, 07:06 PM   #17
jkcali2ooo
Generation 2006
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i Jet Black

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
HERE Is MY 2 CENTS on the BMW NAVIGATION

I chose not to go with the idrive after testing it at my local dealer. I also was interested in the Acura TL, IS 350 and G35.
Out of all the navigations: The IS was by far the best looking gps. My mom and pop both have lexus' , so I probably am partially bias. However in the end I believe the Lexus GPS is by far the best. There have been some discussion as to whether the touchscreen (which the lexus is) navigation systems are better than non-touch systems such as bmw's idrive. The IS 350 Navigation screen is much cooler and cleaner than any other navi (including the BMW) The screen and touch features are similar to older lexus nav's but fully updated in terms of looks and icons with the addition of fading from screens and much more minor type options. I would say overall the IS350 is the best nav. (Only neg. is the voice commands in comparison to acura's ... see below)

What I have found is that people say the idrive/G35 type navigations will last longer b/c they are not touch screen and that there are potential problems w/ touch screen navi's (via other dealerships... BMW/Infiniti) such as burn ins on the screen,screens going out after some use, and dirty/oily screens (Although I have seen lexus' with over 100,000 miles and their screen work perfectly and are cosmetically in decent shape)

The Acura TL (touchscreen) is 2nd best in terms of overall ease of use. The main thing that stands out about this navi is the stellar voice commands. You can speak to the navigation and say: "Find local Italian Restaurants" Which it will do. Plus you can speak addresses to the navigation (ones that have not been stored in the address book) This is useful and unique among the Acura TL and RL. However the animation and icons of the actual navigation left me in wanting ... that is for the IS 350s interface.

The G35 coupe GPS is similar to BMW's both of which are not touch screen. The G35 navigation (I am addressing 2006 model not 2007, which I tested) is small and difficult to use as the navigation controls are on dash unlike BMW's which is near the shifter perpendicular to the navigation screen. This GPS is by far the worst of all of the navigation systems I tested. I would say more but the nav on the G35 just does not compare to any of the others (TL, IS and even the BMW)

BMW's navigation is similar to Infiniti. What I hated most about both BMW and Infiniti is the fact that they addresses have to be inputed into the navigation either through the IDrive wheel controller (BMW) or through the dash (G35) (i.e. nav's w/o touchscreen). In addition voice commands on both navigation systems in my opinion are lacking (in comparison to Acura's). The BMW navigation controls the radio, which I found to be unneccesary and bothersome (Although the driver can control through steering wheel) This might be a nuisance to passenger/driver. The main reason I would have liked the radio to be separate from the navigation is because it is a pain to use the idrive knob to maneuver through the menus and stations. In the end, I could not justify spending $2000 for a navigation in my BMW that to me is lacking and difficult to use in comparison to the other navigation systems that I have had a chance to use in other cars.

In the end, I opted for a Magellan Roadmate which I am quite satisfied with. I know that people say you just need to get used to the BMW Idrive wheel, but I just don't think it is a user friendly system, and again, I could not justify the money for a navi that is semi-decent. (This of course does not cover the actual detail and correctness of the nav but purely cosmetic and ease of use) The magellan has everything I need (no voice commands), but it does the job well and is portable in other cars. The negatives are that it is not in-dash which means you would likely have to put it away when parked if you care to prevent your car from being targeted by theives. Other than that, the Magellan is useful for me b/c I do not usually go on long trip anyways. So for those who are constantly on the move to places they need directions to, an in-dash nav is clearly the way to go.

I hope this information helps... Good luck with your nav decisions .... In the end, BMW is the one-of-a-kind ultimate driving experience (navigation aside) AND THAT IS WHY I ULTIMATELY BOUGHT THE CAR! (instead of the IS, G35, or TL)

2006 Jet Black 330i
Sports, Premium, Rear Sensor, Steptronic

Last edited by jkcali2ooo; 04-23-2006 at 08:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2006, 10:39 AM   #18
cosmosblau
cunning, baffling, powerful
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 535i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
If you know where you're going, it is only a distraction. My wife's car has it, and when I drive it, I shut the screen off. If you can't read a map or have a poor sense of direction, then it's a good move.

BMW's nav systems are among the poorest rated in the auto world (acura TL rates best), and the iDrive seems to be a major pain in the ass. I am happy I could get the car without it (I would have paid extra to have it removed!).
      04-24-2006, 10:51 AM   #19
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
The DVD/Navigation is also like a concierge. Not only does it guide you to your destination, but you can get destination info such as restaurants, hotels, etc. I recently had an important appointment in La Mesa, but arrived an hour early. Was hungry, so I used my DVD/Navi to take me to the McDonald's only .7 miles away. If you EVER have gotten lost in the past, this option will get you unlost quicker than you can guess your way out.
      04-24-2006, 12:18 PM   #20
RustyR
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep
Drives: E90 2009 323i

There are 2 types of people in this world. Those who like Navi and those who don't. Whatever the reasons for having it or not installing it will always be that individuals preference.

From my side I love and can't do without. There is only one way to find out. Drive a car with it and you decide for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2006, 12:23 PM   #21
BMW335PA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

To address what jkcali2ooo stated in his post, about having to use the controler to put in an address, he is wrong. I have the Nav/Idrive, and have on more than one occassion put in my destination ALL by voice. It is so simple to use, and with so much able to be done by voice it cuts out having to use the controler that much more.

2006 325i: JetBlack/Terra/Burl, Prem, Sport, Cold, Xenon, I-Drive/Nav., Alarm. - DECEASED (totaled by 19yo driver)
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2006, 01:34 PM   #22
jkcali2ooo
Generation 2006
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i Jet Black

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
"BMW325"
"To address what jkcali2ooo stated in his post, about having to use the controler to put in an address, he is wrong. I have the Nav/Idrive, and have on more than one occassion put in my destination ALL by voice. It is so simple to use, and with so much able to be done by voice it cuts out having to use the controler that much more. "

If you can put in the address of a destination (not poi/nor a destination in your address book) through voice command then I am wrong. The BMW dealership told me you cannot use the voice command to input an address unless it is already in your address book. (i.e. You cannot speak an address to the navigation system ... 1234 Evergreen Terrace ... for ex.)

2006 Jet Black 330i
Sports, Premium, Rear Sensor, Steptronic
Appreciate 0