BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-07-2011, 06:37 PM   #23
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Something interesting......

I received the policy today and it states.....

"Limits of Liability:
In no event willthe liability per occurence for substitute transportation reimbursement under this VSC exceed $250. Additionally, the total of all BENEFITS payable under this VSC will never exceed $7,500..."

When on the phone the woman told me the max payout of the policy was $3K.....

Hmmmmmm. I searched the policy through and through and do not see the $3k number anywhere. If she had said max pay of tires was 3k i could understand, but she said the total claims cant exceed $3k.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #24
RoninWheels
Mr. Brand Loyalist
Rep
Drives: 1M,M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken99 View Post
Lol, unfortunately not all of us have the luxury of working at a dealer, having a dealer account, and extra sets of dubs!

I agree, the company who quoted me above did not state specific part caps, but did state a $3k payout cap. The challenge is weighing the likelihood of going through 4 tires in 5 years on NY/NJ roads and others up and down the east coast. I tend to drive me vehicles a lot, with love

I want to get a set of winter rims/tires as I dont believe the Mich Pilot sport PS2's are supposed to be any good in winter but dont think I can swing that for a little...

And yes, I DD my M!
Summer performance tires are not meant to be operated below 45 degrees... regardless of whether or not the roads are clear. I cant tell you the amount of body damage comes into my job because of this.... and the roads are dry. Please make it a point to get snows on the car if your going to be driving in cold weather. the alternative is just not worth it.

Instead of spending the 2k+ on the wheel insurance buy some snows, think about it this way: you wil need them most likely sooner then a tire claim, you can bet on getting your money's worth, and if you live in the tristate area you can have a top notch wheel repair shop make a damaged wheel look brand new for $275.. you'd just need to shop the tires. I just dont see the point in spending that much for hypothetical situations.

My snow tire package = 1997 jeep wrangler.
      11-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #25
firechicken99
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninWheels View Post
Summer performance tires are not meant to be operated below 45 degrees... regardless of whether or not the roads are clear. I cant tell you the amount of body damage comes into my job because of this.... and the roads are dry. Please make it a point to get snows on the car if your going to be driving in cold weather. the alternative is just not worth it.

Instead of spending the 2k+ on the wheel insurance buy some snows, think about it this way: you wil need them most likely sooner then a tire claim, you can bet on getting your money's worth, and if you live in the tristate area you can have a top notch wheel repair shop make a damaged wheel look brand new for $275.. you'd just need to shop the tires. I just dont see the point in spending that much for hypothetical situations.

My snow tire package = 1997 jeep wrangler.
I have 30 days to cancel so theres time to think about it. I could use one of those! lol

It is my only car so I will be DD'n it through the winter. I am on the hunt for used winter set but its a little challenging to find the right sizes for the M
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 09:21 PM   #26
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

^^^ Please firechicken, get snow tires. Days before the big snowstorm a couple weeks ago, I had a night in NJ where the temperatures in my town dropped to freezing. I was still on summer tires (after all, I was wearing shorts 2 days before this happened), and I slipped on my summers and went straight over a curb and onto the median of a 6 lane highway. I cracked/bent a rim but other than that there doesn't seem to be much damage to my car. This is the one damaged rim I was talking about earlier. I was very lucky that I wasn't hurt and the car wasn't totaled, because either of those could have easily happened. This happened while driving VERY slowly, while speeding up VERY carefully on what was otherwise a DRY road. I must have suddenly hit ice or lost traction somehow, because next thing I knew I was skidding everywhere. Without this incident, my total cost of rim/wheel damage would have only been $300.

Please get some cheap winter rims and GOOD winter tires, and you won't have to worry about damage to your setup during the winter. Winter tires also tend to be mushier and have bigger sidewalls, sparing you from damage that might occur on a summer wheel going through the same pothole.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 12:46 AM   #27
firechicken99
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
^^^ Please firechicken, get snow tires. Days before the big snowstorm a couple

Please get some cheap winter rims and GOOD winter tires, and you won't have to worry about damage to your setup during the winter. Winter tires also tend to be mushier and have bigger sidewalls, sparing you from damage that might occur on a summer wheel going through the same pothole.
I've been looking but im having a hard time findings people selling winters with a comparable tire size and rim with the proper size/offset for the M
Appreciate 0