BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #353
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Hey guy's,

Belgium finally has 1 more 1M registered. The whole process of entering the car as house hold good and homologation took little over 6 months. Don't care much for having my license published on the forum, but possibly Artemis' big brother will figure it out one day anyways.

Plan to have services done at Centrauto in Wijnechem, does anybody have feedback on them? or alternative raving reviews around Antwerpen? Perhaps I got spoiled in the US, but is it customary to get a replacement car when your car is in service? Can you mention other dealer specific stuff that I'd better pick up on quickly?

Hopefully my final Belgium specific question: can anybody post their alarm certification, of course with personally identifiable stuff marked out? Trying to get BMW Belgium to certify a preexisting 'foreign' BMW alarm.

I have to tell you guys a remarkable experience (from a foreigners perspective): Within roughly 1 year already twice we got stopped for a 100% alcohol screening on a major highway in the weekend. Afterwards we received a goody bag that contained: a bottle Margarita mix and mix for Pisang Ambon. Giving a subliminal message: as reward for not drinking & driving: here's some products that may tempt you to ... . The included Shake-N-Bake pancake mix was very appreciated.

Last edited by eeghie; 02-18-2013 at 08:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #354
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
Don't care much for having my license published on the forum, but possibly Artemis' big brother will figure it out one day anyways.
Plan to have services done at Centrauto in Wijnechem, does anybody have feedback on them? or alternative raving reviews around Antwerpen? Perhaps I got spoiled in the US, but is it customary to get a replacement car when your car is in service? Can you mention other dealer specific stuff that I'd better pick up on quickly?
Hopefully my final Belgium specific question: can anybody post their alarm certification, of course with personally identifiable stuff marked out? Trying to get BMW Belgium to certify a preexisting 'foreign' BMW alarm.
I have to tell you guys a remarkable experience (from a foreigners perspective): Within roughly 1 year already twice we got stopped for a 100% alcohol screening on a major highway in the weekend. Afterwards we received a goody bag that contained: a bottle Margarita mix and mix for Pisang Ambon. Giving a subliminal message: as reward for not drinking & driving: here's some products that may tempt you to ... . The included Shake-N-Bake pancake mix was very appreciated.
As regards your 1M roaming the Belgian roads: maybe you already feature in this list of almost 130. Which color is your 1M (not VO, if my memory serves me well) ?: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...25&postcount=1 I can also add you to the list of Belgian forum fellows: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=263.

Getting a courtesy car during maintenance is possible. Renting should be possible. Depends a bit on the dealership policy. In the event of accident repairs, your insurance or road assistance insurer might take care of this aspect too, depending on the agreed insurance policy terms.

Personally got no experience regarding the Wijnegem dealership, so cannot make statements about them.

As to the car alarm, I don't recall personally undertaking specific measures. Insurance company approved on the basis of the proper information received. I guess my insurance broker took care of transferring the required info. Should check my car docs.

Re alcohol control. Yeah, sometimes you get a "BOB" hanger. Belgian road safety campaigns smartly introduced the term "BOB" to designate a person who deliberately refuses to consume alcohol beverages before driving the car, because (s)he wants to safely bring back home his/her friends after a night of stepping out. Repeated awareness campaigns were successful. It even became an expression: "Let's decide who of us is gonna be BOB tonight" and in restaurants: "Wine or beer ? No thanks, I'm BOB tonight"). I did not know they gave alcohol gifts as an incentive. Are you sure that it was not some sort of drinks promo team instead of the police ?

Last edited by Artemis; 01-09-2015 at 06:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #355
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
As regards your 1M roaming the Belgian roads: maybe you already feature in this list of almost 130.

Getting a courtesy car during maintenance is possible. Renting should be possible. Depends a bit on the dealership policy. In the event of accident repairs, your insurance or road assistance insurer might take care of this aspect too, depending on the agreed insurance policy terms.

Personally got no experience regarding the Wijnegem dealership, so cannot make statements about them.

As to the car alarm, I don't recall personally undertaking specific measures. Insurance company approved on the basis of the proper information received. I guess my insurance broker took care of transferring the required info. Should check my car docs.

Re alcohol control. Yeah, sometimes you get a "BOB" hanger. Belgian road safety campaigns smartly introduced the term "BOB" to designate a person who deliberately refuses to consume alcohol beverages before driving the car, because (s)he wants to safely bring back home his/her friends after a night of stepping out. Repeated awareness campaigns were successful. It even became an expression: "Let's decide who of us is gonna be BOB tonight" and in restaurants: "Wine or beer ? No thanks, I'm BOB tonight"). I did not know they gave alcohol gifts as an incentive. Are you sure that it was not some sort of drinks promo team instead of the police ?
THX mate, For statistics it's the most abundant local color, just don't care for any public listings.

The insurance gives a 1 month grace period for the certificate. It may become a problem if you don't have it when you file a related claim.

I remember the BOB stuff from way back when (grew up in the lowlands), and to be fair, the stuff they handed out was not the alcohol itself, just what you mix with it to make (or fake) cocktails
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 05:22 AM   #356
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Hi All,

Did anyone (up to 31 Aug '11, http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=12) get any info or request from their dealer regarding car software update?

Last edited by eeghie; 03-29-2013 at 06:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 07:30 AM   #357
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
Hi All,

Did anyone (up to 31 Aug '11, http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=12) get any info or request from their dealer regarding car software update?
I had mine done on my own request last november. Free of charge btw

Was also worried with those OBD thefts we hear about here.

Dunno if it will help in case of... but helps keeping me my piece of mind
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 04:12 PM   #358
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs/e60/1m? View Post
I had mine done on my own request last november. Free of charge btw
Was also worried with those OBD thefts we hear about here.
Dunno if it will help in case of... but helps keeping me my piece of mind
Since mid November 2012 BMW UK offers two solutions as so-called "OBD fix": implementing modified firmware which prevents key (re)programming without the assistance of a BMW dealership + deleting the "automatic window-drop" feature (the so-called "convenience opening" feature) when the key is kept in the left position inside the door lock.

See the last bullet point in the log issues sticky for further references:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...27&postcount=1

Which of the the two solutions did you get ?

I queried my dealership about this issue a couple of months ago, but - unfortunately - they had no information regarding a possible fix.
      03-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #359
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Since mid November 2012 BMW UK offers two solutions as so-called "OBD fix": implementing modified firmware which prevents key (re)programming without the assistance of a BMW dealership + deleting the "automatic window-drop" feature (the so-called "convenience opening" feature) when the key is kept in the left position inside the door lock.

See the last bullet point in the log issues sticky for further references:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...27&postcount=1

Which of the the two solutions did you get ?

I queried my dealership about this issue a couple of months ago, but - unfortunately - they had no information regarding a possible fix.
Well.... they didn't say actually but was advised to keep it quit.

My best guess .. since its a july '11 production car they installed the current
firmware and that's it.

Regarding the OBD port entry I made a small "adjustment" myself.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 06:29 AM   #360
Steph
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M3 Telesto CP MY18

A few days into 1M ownership, so thought I introduced myself here on this forum...

Have been driving a Z4 Coupe 3.0si as daily drive for the past 3.5 years and enjoyed that very much, put almost 100.000km on it. Few months ago it started “itching” to buy something else, and so have been looking to E92 M3 or 1M for some time (and reading this forum). 1M it had to be, like the looks more and the exclusivity vs M3.

Not many 1M’s are for sale these days through BMW dealership in Belgium, there was one BSM and one VO for sale (AW nothing for me). It didn’t took more than a test-drive to go from “just looking” to “I want to buy it now!” feeling… Deciding between the 2 colors was the toughest choice, finally went with VO as this one also had some options I wanted, and so far no regrets.

Car is stock except for Akrapovic exhaust. Enjoying it very much, “laugh out loud” power delivery – although you feel it’s turbocharged, it is in a different league vs. Z4 coupe. Initially I was afraid about this turbo character and the sound, but the test-drive took those concerns away.

Few (smartphone quality..) pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #361
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph View Post
A few days into 1M ownership, so thought I introduced myself here on this forum...
Welcome and congrats, Steph.

Seems that you chose the fastest color.

I added you to the Belgian lists:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...25&postcount=1
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=263

Currently nine 1M cars in Belgium put up for sale on Autoscout24 (no VO amongst these):
http://nl.autoscout24.be/ListGN.aspx...B&ustate=N%2CU

Last edited by Artemis; 01-09-2015 at 06:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #362
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
1M it had to be
Additional info:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...82&postcount=1 (manuals etc.)
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...27&postcount=1 (1M issues log)
http://www.bmwarchiv.de/vin/ (BMW VIN Decoder - only requires the last 7 characters of the VIN) (get to know the official birthday of your 1M )
      04-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #363
Steph
Belgium
Rep

Thanks Artemis for adding me to Belgium list.

Like the VO especially in the bright sunlight (like today), it does draw quite some more attetion vs. prevous black Z4 though

Some better pics
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #364
Steph
Belgium
Rep

pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 04:19 AM   #365
LuuZ
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Congrats, welcome aboard, where are you from in Belgium ?
      04-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #366
Steph
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuuZ View Post
Congrats, welcome aboard, where are you from in Belgium ?
Thanks LuuZ, I'm from region 'Sint-Niklaas', pics were taken in Gent though.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 02:52 AM   #367
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Yesterday evening saw a BSM parked in the north of Antwerpen.

What struck me as odd was that it had a large clown nose, which I though are no longer supplied from factory for a while. So it might be a retrofit. If that's the case, I'd be very interested in a chat with the owner. R U in here?

Also bump for earlier request for an example of the BMW supplied Belgium Alarm certificate (personal details removed).
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 02:53 AM   #368
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
pics
Always a pleasure to watch VO on a sunny day!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 03:24 PM   #369
Artemis
Rep

Stelvio 2.0 | 20-21 July 2013

Any Belgian forum fellows interested in joining the Stelvio 2.0 tour organized this Summer by 1addicts administrator Dackelone ?

Stelvio 2.0 | Saturday 20 and Sunday 21 July 2013:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809634

Belgian forum fellow gs/e60/1m? and myself already signed up for this exciting 2013 journey.

We might consider doing a pre-run over some great Swiss passes on the way on from Belgium to the gathering. And, depending on the weather and the plans of the rest of the group, a trip around the magnificent Garda Lake (Lago di Garda) might be included on Monday 22 July 2013 (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=364). That would make it some sort of ///Mediterra trip.

For many pictures of Stelvio 1.0 (June 2012) (gs/e60/1m? participated to that edition):
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=707757

Name:  Stelvio.jpg
Views: 1480
Size:  102.2 KB

According to Top Gear the road from Davos to Stelvio is "the greatest driving road in the world" ("Stelvio: the cherry for the top of our cake" - "stunning" - "magnificent piece of road building" - "extraordinary road").
Check from 06:58 onwards in this video:

Last edited by Artemis; 05-29-2013 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #370
1mmaniac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1m

Hi, guys!

Yes I'll be joining the Stelvio trip to!

I've already pm-ed with some of you guys but this pm system is not easy to use for group convo's so I'll just post it up here.

Since I'm new to the community (actually still not even a part of the community since my car will arive by the end of the month) I proposed a small meet&greet. eeghie proposed the harbour/island location to get some nice photo's and grab an easy drink!

Anybody interested?

Schedule: beginning of July, the 12th @ 20:00 maybe? (12th is a Friday)

Regards, Sjors

Last edited by 1mmaniac; 06-18-2013 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: Updated schedule
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #371
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mmaniac View Post
Hi, guys!

I've already pm-ed with some of you guys but this pm system is not easy to use for group convo's so I'll just post it up here.

Since I'm new to the community (actually still not even a part of the community since my car will arive by the end of the month) I proposed a small meet&greet. eeghie proposed the harbour/island location to get some nice photo's and grab an easy drink!

Anybody interested?

Schedule: beginning of July, the 12th maybe?

Regards, Sjors
still new (to Belgium) as well, great initiative, 12th works for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #372
Artemis
Rep

A kind reminder to those who did not make up their mind yet on (not) participating to the Stelvio 2.0 Treffen: it's about time to make up your mind if you plan to participate.

See:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...8#post14171098
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809634
      06-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #373
1mmaniac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mmaniac View Post
Hi, guys!

Anybody interested?

Schedule: beginning of July, the 12th maybe?

Regards, Sjors
Rudi wil also be joining us
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #374
1Mcoupé
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Morgan 3whlr (2012) & 1m

ok for the 12th,
when; preferably evening, 20hrs
where: why not "cinquantenaire square" Brussels
easy to find/access

(did some donuts with my 3wheeler over there)

can't make it to the Stelvio, sadly

just sold my Akra (new house in "residential area")
miss the "popping" of the exhaust but noize is a lot easier on the neighbours babies