BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-28-2009, 01:45 AM   #23
RadiuM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i, 97 GTR VSpec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guran View Post
Sorry forgot to mention that I get my WHEELS via subscription. I think it goes on sale in newsagents from Thursday this week.
Ahhh, better than my Motor subscription. It's available in stores a few days before I even get mine in the mail
      04-28-2009, 07:48 AM   #24
Breville
Scum in the sun
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe TiAg

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrym View Post
also - I dont like the sound of this whole "overpowered chassis" business .. he's almost saying the chassis is overwhelmed by the power ..and that the oversteer / understeer situation returns to normal state when off track and on the road ..I'm worried as I want to potentially track one of these one day ..perhaps tht's where the Performance components will make the difference in terms of suspension, sway/tortion bars etc etc ...overall though they wernt very kind in terms of dynamic ability of stock 135i
It's probably a fair comparison; bear in mind the 1er is up against a 911 (much tighter out of the box) and Elise (nuff said) and a light weight hot hatch. I super happy with my car on the track since I fitted the KW's. Just need camber plates now...

One should love animals. They are so tasty.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 09:22 PM   #25
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breville View Post
It's probably a fair comparison; bear in mind the 1er is up against a 911 (much tighter out of the box) and Elise (nuff said) and a light weight hot hatch. I super happy with my car on the track since I fitted the KW's. Just need camber plates now...
Did you remove the strut top locating pins and move the strut in as much as it will alow Breville?
      04-28-2009, 10:29 PM   #26
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrym View Post
umm.. are you sure two up? check the pictures ..i don't see passangers in most shots ..perhaps for laps its just driver and two up for sprint times?
The straight line sprint tests are done with driver and passenger. The lap tests are usually done with driver only. That was the case for the timed laps in this article, except that they also developed their "fun factor" ratings with driver and passenger on the track. You might think this would disadvantage the lighter cars, but they still rated the Elise as being more fun on the track than the 911! Also, the photographs are often produced separately to the performance tests, with the drivers deliberately hamming it up with oversteer.
      04-30-2009, 06:17 AM   #27
Breville
Scum in the sun
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
Did you remove the strut top locating pins and move the strut in as much as it will alow Breville?
Dunno what they did, I know the camber is not adjustable properly without plates. East Coast did my set up and said they did get some camber change but is was <.5. Apparently pates is the only realy way to do it.

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 06:58 PM   #28
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Dunno what they did, I know the camber is not adjustable properly without plates. East Coast did my set up and said they did get some camber change but is was <.5. Apparently pates is the only realy way to do it.
Sounds like they must have removed the pins.
What's the KW setup like on the road compared to standard? I'm looking for better handling without the harsh setup I had on my E30. Thinking about either a KW or BMW performance setup, without RFTs. Mine will stay a daily driver so I want to keep it reasonably comfortable and quiet. Getting old...
      05-01-2009, 12:36 AM   #29
Breville
Scum in the sun
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
KW v2 is brilliant on the road, MUCH more compliant than the std M-Pack. I've also got non-runflats though, which also helps. I get the occassional squeek when going over speed hump, but I don't mind; it's like an audiable message that I track my car
If I was never to track I would go for the BMW Performance for warranty reasons (and it's cheaper), however KW (whichever variant) is the way to go if tracking.
KW v3's and above have the camber plates, but are very crashy on the road which is why I went for the 2's.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 01:45 AM   #30
Caduceus
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 (sold), 2017 M2

9.6 no joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrcr View Post
Lets be honest, the 9.6L/100km is a joke. I think it would be difficult to get this on a freeway.
I haven't reset the fuel consumption since I bought the car. Just over 15,000km now and guess what? Average fuel consumption is 9.6l/100km for me.

I drive 30km each way to work. There's only one set of lights just near my place and half the trip is on 100 kph freeway that never gets congested.

So it's actually very easy to achieve if you don't deal with city congestion every day.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 03:02 AM   #31
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
KW v2 is brilliant on the road, MUCH more compliant than the std M-Pack. I've also got non-runflats though, which also helps. I get the occassional squeek when going over speed hump, but I don't mind; it's like an audiable message that I track my car
If I was never to track I would go for the BMW Performance for warranty reasons (and it's cheaper), however KW (whichever variant) is the way to go if tracking.
KW v3's and above have the camber plates, but are very crashy on the road which is why I went for the 2's.
Sounds great! Yeah, solid camber plates take out a lot compliance you might need for little city bumps & potholes. What did the V2s cost you for parts & fitting? I gather the squeeks you're getting are from the more solid bushings you may be using now.
      05-01-2009, 07:19 AM   #32
Breville
Scum in the sun
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
Sounds great! Yeah, solid camber plates take out a lot compliance you might need for little city bumps & potholes. What did the V2s cost you for parts & fitting? I gather the squeeks you're getting are from the more solid bushings you may be using now.
I got the lot installed for around $3k but that was because I got a great deal on the KW's from Andrew at Southern. I believe you'd pay nearer $4K installed now, however I reckon it's worth it over the BMW performance set up.

Appreciate 0