BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Anyone Try KYB GR-2 Shocks/Struts

Tempted. At $360 shipped for a full set, that's 50% off what yellows or Bilsteins run.

I've used the GR-2s on my Subaru's before with good results, and run yellows on my M3.

Anyone give them a try yet?

They have to be better than stock...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
lakefront
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Macan GTS

Can't speak for BMW's but on other makes they are considered to be stock replacements at best. Certainly not a "high performance" replacement.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
mechavore884
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: the fat mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakefront View Post
Can't speak for BMW's but on other makes they are considered to be stock replacements at best. Certainly not a "high performance" replacement.
^+1 I had them on my S14 for a while when I had sportline springs. THey're really just a slightly more durable OEM strut...they're AGX series are the performance line
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechavore884 View Post
^+1 I had them on my S14 for a while when I had sportline springs. THey're really just a slightly more durable OEM strut...they're AGX series are the performance line
AGXs road like crap on stock and mild springs in my wrxs. Nowhere near as nice as koni yellows. Gr2s were popular on stock springs or mild sport springs though.

Anything has to be better than the complete joke that is the OE shocks.

Not looking for anything but adequate dampening. Something BMW was incapable of delivering.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
I feel like you should just sell your bmw, cuz you complain about the suspension alot...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
Metalbeast
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 2008 X5 4.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stohlen View Post
I feel like you should just sell your bmw, cuz you complain about the suspension alot...
lol
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #7
mechavore884
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
AGXs road like crap on stock and mild springs in my wrxs. Nowhere near as nice as koni yellows. Gr2s were popular on stock springs or mild sport springs though.

Anything has to be better than the complete joke that is the OE shocks.

Not looking for anything but adequate dampening. Something BMW was incapable of delivering.
lol AGX's arent bad FOR THE PRICE....obviously the Konis would be better... Your best bet seems to be go with Koni FSD's or Bilsteins
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Ok, sorry for the rant. But in all honesty, and I've said this before...BMW is famous for suspension tuning. Keeping spring rates low, putting effort into strut tuning to make for a compliant, yet controlled ride. This car, however, is a joke. Completely soft, so it rolls all over, yet it still rides horribly. Crashing into the bump stops regularly. I'll be a BMW man for life, but I'm not alone in the thought that this has been their worst effort to date.

The car deserves more. If you own one and can't admit that, then you're not being honest, or you don't know what BMW is capable of. This was a subpar effort, without question.

Even a stock 335 suspension is vastly superior.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
lol AGX's arent bad FOR THE PRICE....obviously the Konis would be better... Your best bet seems to be go with Koni FSD's or Bilsteins
I'm between yellows and the billies.. For 1/2 the price, just wanted to see if anyone had tried the alternative.

Can't agree on the agx. The high speed compression dampening is too far off to be considered good, even for the price.. At least it was in subarus.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #10
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...-Bad-Idea-Help!

Seems like an OK oem replacement. Lots of posts out there about them wearing out quickly. Not sure it's worth it. Half the price can quickly lead to 1.5x the price if they fail and lead you to spend the full amount on konis or bilsteins.
      08-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
mechavore884
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I know off hand the dynos for the AGx's and...well...linear LOL...but my .02 is to go with the konies, warranty and theyre valving is excellent without being too harsh (I guess for those who care LOL). Ive seen enough track setups running the yellows and good springs (at one point I ran yellows with swift springs on le s14) and it was quite the greatness....
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 08:50 PM   #12
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:

Ok, sorry for the rant. But in all honesty, and I've said this before...BMW is famous for suspension tuning. Keeping spring rates low, putting effort into strut tuning to make for a compliant, yet controlled ride. This car, however, is a joke. Completely soft, so it rolls all over, yet it still rides horribly. Crashing into the bump stops regularly. I'll be a BMW man for life, but I'm not alone in the thought that this has been their worst effort to date.

The car deserves more. If you own one and can't admit that, then you're not being honest, or you don't know what BMW is capable of. This was a subpar effort, without question.

Even a stock 335 suspension is vastly superior.

I take it your tracking your car? or are you hitting corners like you stold it? Don't go cheap but invest in a nice set of coilovers, Ohlins, AST, JRZ, TCkline ,and don't forget a set of Camber plates
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #13
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...-Bad-Idea-Help!

Seems like an OK oem replacement. Lots of posts out there about them wearing out quickly. Not sure it's worth it. Half the price can quickly lead to 1.5x the price if they fail and lead you to spend the full amount on konis or bilsteins.
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #14
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
lol..lol....
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #15
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukuss View Post
I take it your tracking your car? or are you hitting corners like you stold it? Don't go cheap but invest in a nice set of coilovers, Ohlins, AST, JRZ, TCkline ,and don't forget a set of Camber plates
What would make you say that? I've said I'm not looking for ultimate handling. The last thing I want/need on this car is a set of coilovers. I have an M3 as a weekender/track car. This is a daily.

I'll settle for a car as capable as an OE 3 series. This car isn't even close to that.

I want the most cost effective OE shock replacement to make the car even remotely adequate for a daily commute, including harsh city roads.

My M3 with, 500/600# springs actually rides better than the 135 does stock. Crashing into the bump stops at least once a week, if not more, oscillating constantly, it's a joke. I'm not alone in this assessment. It's a common, documented complaint.

Again, happy to go with yellows or the billies, both of which I've run in the past, but wanted to see if anyone has tried the KYBs. For the money, it's certainly seemed worth at least asking around to see if anyone has run them.

If you haven't tried them, I'm not sure what you can contribute to the thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #16
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I know off hand the dynos for the AGx's and...well...linear LOL...but my .02 is to go with the konies, warranty and theyre valving is excellent without being too harsh (I guess for those who care LOL). Ive seen enough track setups running the yellows and good springs (at one point I ran yellows with swift springs on le s14) and it was quite the greatness....
Yeah, again, I currently run yellows on my M3. And I've run AGXs on one of my WRXs. They're horrible from a high-speed dampening front (worse than OE M3 shocks, and that's saying something ). Most Subaru guys have liked the GR2s much better, on stock or mild springs. I wanted to see if any BMW guys have tried them.

Hard to not at least ask around given they're 1/2 the price. It's not like KYB can't build a shock. But it's very application specific.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 04:43 AM   #17
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What would make you say that? I've said I'm not looking for ultimate handling. The last thing I want/need on this car is a set of coilovers. I have an M3 as a weekender/track car. This is a daily.

I'll settle for a car as capable as an OE 3 series. This car isn't even close to that.

I want the most cost effective OE shock replacement to make the car even remotely adequate for a daily commute, including harsh city roads.

My M3 with, 500/600# springs actually rides better than the 135 does stock. Crashing into the bump stops at least once a week, if not more, oscillating constantly, it's a joke. I'm not alone in this assessment. It's a common, documented complaint.

Again, happy to go with yellows or the billies, both of which I've run in the past, but wanted to see if anyone has tried the KYBs. For the money, it's certainly seemed worth at least asking around to see if anyone has run them.

If you haven't tried them, I'm not sure what you can contribute to the thread.
I havent tryed so I cant contribute, what year is your M?
Appreciate 0