BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-30-2017, 01:59 AM   #6095
Ngo135is
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is, E92 M3, Audi AR

Talking 135is Rag top?

Didn't know they made ragtops for the 135is 586 total.
Welcome

Js ordered BMS CAI for mine
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 02:52 AM   #6096
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngo135is View Post
Didn't know they made ragtops for the 135is 586 total.
Welcome

Js ordered BMS CAI for mine
I believe this is a list of US 135is convertibles and Canadian 135i M Sport Edition convertibles.

Last edited by Esteban; 07-30-2017 at 04:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 07:29 AM   #6097
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
You will love it. Congrats! I just spent the evening cleaning mine up from all the rain we had. She looks purdy again.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 10:11 AM   #6098
Mototrav22
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
Not sure if I posted this, but took it a few weeks back after I installed a new license plate bracket.

I need to take a photo of them together:
How are you liking the Vette? Thinking of getting one as well. Or better yet, how do the two compare in driving experience?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 12:46 PM   #6099
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinE View Post
hi everybody... just sold my old Z4 and got this beauty a few weeks ago. Still learning about all it has to offer. Carbon Black with Oyster interior. No mods... yet.
Welcome. Nice color combo.
      07-30-2017, 02:00 PM   #6100
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
I believe this is a list of US 135is convertibles and Canadian 135i M Sport Edition convertibles.
Mine is #234, so I am reasonably sure that they exist :-)
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 02:13 PM   #6101
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Mine is #234, so I am reasonably sure that they exist :-)
You know, I think you might be...
Attached Images

07-30-2017, 03:23 PM   #6102
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mototrav22 View Post
How are you liking the Vette? Thinking of getting one as well. Or better yet, how do the two compare in driving experience?
I honestly love it more and more. I was really down to an M2, CPO M4 or the Corvette. My original plan was to replace the 135is, but really still enjoy driving it so kept it. It’s pretty high tech, and I would compare it more to the Audi TTS as far as the digital and customizable displays. The Audi is a little sexier though in that regard. The interior fit and finish is very similar to the 135is, but much less understated than the 135is. I love the removable carbon fiber roof and is relatively quick and easy to remove or put back on by yourself.

As far as speed, acceleration and handling goes, the Corvette is definitely faster, but I some sense doesn’t seem so. Most of that is because I typically drive the 135is in sport mode so the throttle tip in comes much sooner and the Corvette requires more pedal to get the 100 extra HP out of it. I will probably install a Vitesse controller, which is essentially like a GoPedal or similar. The grip is immense as you’d expect but really the 135is especially with wider tires is only a few notches less.

The corvette is only slightly bigger than the 135. I think it’s only 4-5” longer and about 5” wider. I am still being a little careful with how I change lanes etc since it’s more difficult to see your rear quarter where you typically can in the bmw. A push of the throttle helps though.

The sound is pretty nice but not the same as the 135. If you get on the throttle, the vette just sounds like a real race car and is incredibly loud but in a good way. I think overall the 135 sounds better in normal situations where the vette tries to be quieter. It’s not until you get on it that it sounds awesome.

Surprisingly it’s easy to get 30mpg if you are just cruising on the highway. I am actually averaging better fuel economy than the 135 for the same drive. I have to try to get about 21 mpg on my commute to work, but am averaging 23 in the Corvette and not really trying and the car isn’t even broken in yet.

What ended up shifting my thinking toward buying a corvette was the value. Comparing all the variables, the Corvette gives you a lot for the price you pay. I was able to get $10,300 off sticker which put my car in the same price range as a middle optioned M2. I got to drive a few M4s and felt it was heavier and bulkier and somewhat disconnected. Very nice car though. I never drove an M2and tried many times trying to find the car I wanted, but never could unless I wanted to pay $10k over MSRP. I decided to accept that my 135is is my poor man’s M2 and keep it.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 04:21 PM   #6103
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I honestly love it more and more. I was really down to an M2, CPO M4 or the Corvette. My original plan was to replace the 135is, but really still enjoy driving it so kept it. It’s pretty high tech, and I would compare it more to the Audi TTS as far as the digital and customizable displays. The Audi is a little sexier though in that regard. The interior fit and finish is very similar to the 135is, but much less understated than the 135is. I love the removable carbon fiber roof and is relatively quick and easy to remove or put back on by yourself.

As far as speed, acceleration and handling goes, the Corvette is definitely faster, but I some sense doesn’t seem so. Most of that is because I typically drive the 135is in sport mode so the throttle tip in comes much sooner and the Corvette requires more pedal to get the 100 extra HP out of it. I will probably install a Vitesse controller, which is essentially like a GoPedal or similar. The grip is immense as you’d expect but really the 135is especially with wider tires is only a few notches less.

The corvette is only slightly bigger than the 135. I think it’s only 4-5” longer and about 5” wider. I am still being a little careful with how I change lanes etc since it’s more difficult to see your rear quarter where you typically can in the bmw. A push of the throttle helps though.

The sound is pretty nice but not the same as the 135. If you get on the throttle, the vette just sounds like a real race car and is incredibly loud but in a good way. I think overall the 135 sounds better in normal situations where the vette tries to be quieter. It’s not until you get on it that it sounds awesome.

Surprisingly it’s easy to get 30mpg if you are just cruising on the highway. I am actually averaging better fuel economy than the 135 for the same drive. I have to try to get about 21 mpg on my commute to work, but am averaging 23 in the Corvette and not really trying and the car isn’t even broken in yet.

What ended up shifting my thinking toward buying a corvette was the value. Comparing all the variables, the Corvette gives you a lot for the price you pay. I was able to get $10,300 off sticker which put my car in the same price range as a middle optioned M2. I got to drive a few M4s and felt it was heavier and bulkier and somewhat disconnected. Very nice car though. I never drove an M2and tried many times trying to find the car I wanted, but never could unless I wanted to pay $10k over MSRP. I decided to accept that my 135is is my poor man’s M2 and keep it.
Did you trade the Avalon for your Corvette or did you keep it as your "comfy" car?
      07-30-2017, 06:55 PM   #6104
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I traded the Avalon. I’m no longer driving 160 miles a day for work.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 07:59 PM   #6105
Mototrav22
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i (DCT)

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I really love the 135i, but having owned a few older BMW's and various other cars, I am a little disappointed in the reliability of their newer cars. I've never had a car leave me stranded, but I don't have faith in this one (i.e. electric water pump). My German friend who is a mechanic said there is a saying amongst automotive mechanics in Germany..."you can buy something good, or you can't buy something Bosch."

I have always been a Euro/Japan car enthusiast, but American car companies have really stepped up their game. I do all my mx, but old age and patience is driving my frustration with owning newer BMW's. Going to keep this one for awhile and hope for the best...it's actually the "wife's" daily, but I like to drive sideways every once and awhile!

The C6/C7 is still on my radar, so could pull that trigger at any moment!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 08:36 PM   #6106
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Look for 2014s, they are your best bargain. Once you start looking at 15/16s, considering a discount on 17/18s, where you might be saving money, you’d be losing warranty or paying to get a warranty. If you’re a no frills person, it’s very easy to get a new Corvette for about $48k after discounts.

I’ve put about 10,000 miles on the 135is since last October when I bought it and haven’t had any issues other than normal maintenance and the DCT lag issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 09:07 PM   #6107
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Look for 2014s, they are your best bargain. Once you start looking at 15/16s, considering a discount on 17/18s, where you might be saving money, you’d be losing warranty or paying to get a warranty. If you’re a no frills person, it’s very easy to get a new Corvette for about $48k after discounts.

I’ve put about 10,000 miles on the 135is since last October when I bought it and haven’t had any issues other than normal maintenance and the DCT lag issue.
As these things (1-Series Cars) get older, it will become harder and harder to buy a good one in the resale marketplace. That's the primary reason that drove me to buy 3 of them, relatively young, lower mileage, in good condition.

Granted, three, 1-Series cars, is a bit over the top for most people to even consider buying, but I just don't see myself ever buying a new BMW in the future, unless they completely change the direction they are heading in, which I think is very unlikely.

My impression, from the 3 of these cars that I do own, is that most of the problems people have with them are "self-inflicted." I don't mean that the 2nd or 3rd or 4th owner inflicted the damage, but the car got mistreated at some point along the line and it is the current owner who is getting forced to pay the piper.

I don't see any way around this short of finding a well used car with a meticulous immediate-prior owner who sunk a bunch of cash into the car to fix all of its problems. This is what I have in the 2003 Porsche 996 Twin Turbo I recently purchased. It has a bunch of miles (for me), almost 77K now, but the last two former owners, in the space of 2.5 years, expended about $25K on it, fixing just about everything that breaks in these cars.

My 2000 Z3M Coupe (clownshoe) was a single owner car before I bought it 2 years ago, with a bit less than 60K miles on it, but that one has cost me quite a bit in what appears to have been deferred maintenance and in not fixing stuff that was broken, mostly because, I think, they just were not driving the car much the last few years they owned it.

My impression is that if you get a good 1-series, don't abuse it, and keep up on the maintenance and repairs, you can have a pretty dependable car that won't cost a fortune to keep up. Once you have to pay for all the mistakes made by former owners, however, it could cost a lot to own.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 09:33 PM   #6108
bm996tt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Agree buy a nice low mile car with maintenance records and you will usually have few problems. That said most people I know run the daylights out of their cars and then act surprised when something gives up. I know this will get me flak but I never beat any of my cars= red line etc. I own cars with over 100k miles and while the maintenance does go up with age/use they are still what I would call dependable.
Appreciate 1
Gangplank1540.50
      07-30-2017, 09:52 PM   #6109
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm996tt View Post
Agree buy a nice low mile car with maintenance records and you will usually have few problems. That said most people I know run the daylights out of their cars and then act surprised when something gives up. I know this will get me flak but I never beat any of my cars= red line etc. I own cars with over 100k miles and while the maintenance does go up with age/use they are still what I would call dependable.
I've only had one car that "stranded" me in the last 20 years. It was a 2008 Subaru Outback XTi (turbo), MT, and the car was about a year old and had 7000 miles on it. This is before I started my current car collecting habits, and it was my only car. We were returning from a long day hike in the mountains and my friend and (now) business partner was driving it, and not driving it hard. The engine started making funny noises and the car just died. Fortunately, we were only about 12 miles away from my house, and the tow truck took the car and us there. Long story short, it needed a new engine :-)

Other than for some sort of weather related disaster or an accident, I think the likelihood of getting stranded in one of these 1-Series cars is not real high.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 09:55 PM   #6110
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
As these things (1-Series Cars) get older, it will become harder and harder to buy a good one in the resale marketplace. That's the primary reason that drove me to buy 3 of them, relatively young, lower mileage, in good condition.

Granted, three, 1-Series cars, is a bit over the top for most people to even consider buying, but I just don't see myself ever buying a new BMW in the future, unless they completely change the direction they are heading in, which I think is very unlikely.

My impression, from the 3 of these cars that I do own, is that most of the problems people have with them are "self-inflicted." I don't mean that the 2nd or 3rd or 4th owner inflicted the damage, but the car got mistreated at some point along the line and it is the current owner who is getting forced to pay the piper.

I don't see any way around this short of finding a well used car with a meticulous immediate-prior owner who sunk a bunch of cash into the car to fix all of its problems. This is what I have in the 2003 Porsche 996 Twin Turbo I recently purchased. It has a bunch of miles (for me), almost 77K now, but the last two former owners, in the space of 2.5 years, expended about $25K on it, fixing just about everything that breaks in these cars.

My 2000 Z3M Coupe (clownshoe) was a single owner car before I bought it 2 years ago, with a bit less than 60K miles on it, but that one has cost me quite a bit in what appears to have been deferred maintenance and in not fixing stuff that was broken, mostly because, I think, they just were not driving the car much the last few years they owned it.

My impression is that if you get a good 1-series, don't abuse it, and keep up on the maintenance and repairs, you can have a pretty dependable car that won't cost a fortune to keep up. Once you have to pay for all the mistakes made by former owners, however, it could cost a lot to own.
I agree maintenance is key. I hear people complain about how Ducatis are or used to be unreliable. But when you ask what they’ve done for upkeep and they just look at you or say it’s too expensive. I say it’s more expensive to have a piece of iron in your garage you can’t use.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 10:01 PM   #6111
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm996tt View Post
Yeah, I agree 100%. There's a difference between flogging your car and driving it spiritedly. These cars want to be driven and they're meant to have fun in IMO. I have fun in my car every day but never abuse it.

I have almost 33K miles on my car (bought new) with nothing breaking down yet. First oil change at 1200 miles (break-in) and then oil change every 5000 miles. Very reliable as far as I'm concerned.

Edit: always kept up with all scheduled maintenance. Very important!

Last edited by Esteban; 07-30-2017 at 10:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 12:32 PM   #6112
AustinE
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is convertible

What license plate bracket?

Quote:
Not sure if I posted this, but took it a few weeks back after I installed a new license plate bracket.

I need to take a photo of them together:
What License plate bracket did you go with? I am needing one for Texas plates...
#38 2012-08-14*135is
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 12:57 PM   #6113
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinE View Post
What License plate bracket did you go with? I am needing one for Texas plates...
The one from BMS.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 11:41 PM   #6114
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 07:36 PM   #6115
inevitab1e
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 135i N55 FBO

I've got a major electrical system issue with my car. Battery is gone and dozens of faults related to that system. Car is currently at BMW and they noticed something I did when I first got the car 5 months ago.

Do you guys have a random large plug laying around behind your passenger headlight? I went by BMW a couple months ago and some guy told me it was normal due to the larger radiator fan/engine cooling that comes with the vehicle.

Now BMW is telling me that the 135is does not have an upgraded fan and the random plug laying around seems odd. Noting that the wiring job of my current setup isn't something BMW would do for installation.

I'm looking at about a $2k bill w/ new battery and 'rewire' of radiator fan setup w/ new 'smaller' fan?

http://www.bmwblog.com/2013/06/23/bm...assic-bimmers/
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 10:09 PM   #6116
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inevitab1e View Post
I've got a major electrical system issue with my car. Battery is gone and dozens of faults related to that system. Car is currently at BMW and they noticed something I did when I first got the car 5 months ago.

Do you guys have a random large plug laying around behind your passenger headlight? I went by BMW a couple months ago and some guy told me it was normal due to the larger radiator fan/engine cooling that comes with the vehicle.

Now BMW is telling me that the 135is does not have an upgraded fan and the random plug laying around seems odd. Noting that the wiring job of my current setup isn't something BMW would do for installation.

I'm looking at about a $2k bill w/ new battery and 'rewire' of radiator fan setup w/ new 'smaller' fan?

http://www.bmwblog.com/2013/06/23/bm...assic-bimmers/
Here's a link (post #20) where other 135is owners talk about that plug.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...php?p=21909758