02-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #23
VO1M
Private
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerbeast View Post
If it fits the E9X M3 it will fit our 1M's
This looks like the best option then - but what about wheel bolts? X5's and X6's (which this wheel is for) use 14mm (M14) wheel bolts. The 1M and M3 use 12mm (M12) wheel bolts.

Is there a risk of the bolts becoming loose in use, as the holes in this wheel will be 2mm too large for the 12mm bolts?

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 04:37 AM   #24
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Actually a 17" space saver donut should work..

It will fit the front no problems.

If you have a rear tyre puncture, jack up the car on the rear jacking mount, and that will lift both front and rear wheels up off the ground.
Fit the space saver donut to the front and remove your OEM front wheel and fit to the rear until repaired... problem solved..

Just means you have to remove both front and rear wheel in the event of a rear puncture.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #25
buckeyegirl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M Coupe:) Jeep for Winter

Dumb question, but I have to ask....

This is a good idea, but when going on a road trip, if you weren't too worried about the weight.... would it just make sense to buy another front wheel and tire and then in the case of something catastrophic happening to the rear, you would be good to go and not have to deal with finding another HP tire in the middle of South Dakota or somewhere rural like that. You could finish your trip and not even have to worry about keeping the speed at the rated donut speed.

If someone can confirm this is the case, then this is what I might do.

THANKS in advance for your advice and sorry to be silly, but I just don't quite understand tires yet........
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #26
buckeyegirl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Actually a 17" space saver donut should work..

It will fit the front no problems.

If you have a rear tyre puncture, jack up the car on the rear jacking mount, and that will lift both front and rear wheels up off the ground.
Fit the space saver donut to the front and remove your OEM front wheel and fit to the rear until repaired... problem solved..

Just means you have to remove both front and rear wheel in the event of a rear puncture.
So I don't really know what jack would do that, but I am leaning toward buying some random front tire that is the same effective diameter, but maybe it can be a bit slimmer so that it will take up less room in the trunk and using this instead of a space saver.... what do you think?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #27
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyegirl View Post
This is a good idea, but when going on a road trip, if you weren't too worried about the weight.... would it just make sense to buy another front wheel and tire and then in the case of something catastrophic happening to the rear, you would be good to go and not have to deal with finding another HP tire in the middle of South Dakota or somewhere rural like that. You could finish your trip and not even have to worry about keeping the speed at the rated donut speed.

If someone can confirm this is the case, then this is what I might do.

THANKS in advance for your advice and sorry to be silly, but I just don't quite understand tires yet........

What ever tire you run... you want to make sure that the overall tire diameter (ie the tires hight) is the same as the OE tires. This is especially even more important when a car has a LSD like the 1M does!

IF your mini spare tire was substantially shorter (less dia) than the other "good tire" your diff's friction disc's might burn up bc it constantly has to slip to keep up.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #28
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
So I don't really know what jack would do that, but I am leaning toward buying some random front tire that is the same effective diameter, but maybe it can be a bit slimmer so that it will take up less room in the trunk and using this instead of a space saver.... what do you think?
As long as the spare you buy is the same outside diameter you will have no probs..

This jack is the E46 BMW jack and can be purchased new or from a wreckers yard.. Fits perfectly in the plastic jacking mounts under the car..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #29
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

^^The BMW scissor jack is a better choice - I think. BMW thinks the same since they offer it as an option via thier parts dept. I never liked those leaning jacks. The scissor jack that BMW reccomends is more stable since it lifts straight up and not at an angle.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #30
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Q. How much difference in tire height could the LSD take without problems?

The fact is , i've noticed a difference in height between the front and back about 1,5 to 2 cm on stock wheels . Maybe that is why there is no spare.

Alternative is to buy a square set up like 255x40x18"? thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #31
buckeyegirl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

??

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs/e60/1m? View Post

The fact is , i've noticed a difference in height between the front and back about 1,5 to 2 cm on stock wheels . Maybe that is why there is no spare.

That brings up a good question, is there a difference in overall wheel diameter with stock wheels?

245/35R19 front
265/35R19 rear

This looks like just width. Makes me think just get a 19 inch rim, doesn't matter the width and just put a tire of the same exact depth on it and bingo. Or is there something subtle I don't understand here???
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #32
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
That brings up a good question, is there a difference in overall wheel diameter with stock wheels?

245/35R19 front
265/35R19 rear

This looks like just width. Makes me think just get a 19 inch rim, doesn't matter the width and just put a tire of the same exact depth on it and bingo. Or is there something subtle I don't understand here???
The second number is the sidewall height and is expressed as a percentage of the width (which is in mm).

So to calculate the height (diameter) of the front tire, you multiply 245 by 35% and multiply by two (cause of sidewall at bottom and top), then divide that mount by 25.4 to convert it into inches, and add 19" (the diameter of the wheel).

Hope that's clear.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #33
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs/e60/1m? View Post

I would think you want the tires to be within 3% of the OE size from side to side.

It does not make any difference what is on the front axle vs the rear(concerning the LSD. For the LSD(diff) you want to maintain the same size tires left side vs right side. IF the 1M had AWD this would be a different story.

e82 overall rear tire height (dia) in inches

135i rear tire 245/35R18 = 24.75
mini spare 125/80R17 = 24.87
1M rear tires 265/35R19 = 26.35

The bmw's mini spare tire is quite close in overal diameter to the 135i rear tire height. Less than 0.5%. But for the 1M it's 6% smaller. Since BMW lists this spare as approved - i'd say as long as your full size spare tire is within 6% in dia you should be ok. Should. ?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #34
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
That brings up a good question...
IF you wanted to go with a full size tire - as a spare tire, you could. That was my original plan. I was goning to use the 17" steel wheels that came on e46 M3's over here. But when I asked my dealer about them... they said hey... we have this alloy spare just sitting here that we ordered but never sold. So... a deal was struck.

I think the best and cheapest way would be to get some cheap alloy wheel from TireRack and some cheap "rim protector" tire mounted. Then keep that in the trunk with BMW's jack kit (jack, lug wrench, torque wrench, wheel chalk and gloves).
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 06:17 AM   #35
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep

Well finally ended up with ordering the package listed as "1M Coupe spare tire"
It's the 17" set up as mentioned in posts above at 210 euro's ex vat.

@ Dackel thanks for the info I quess the 6% diff in height will give no issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #36
TaigaTii
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Space saver spare tire for the 1M – the saga deepens! Bad BMW!

We took delivery of our AW 1M last Thursday (Feb 16) on Vancouver Island.

Since I have been agitating about a spare tire solution for this car for long road trips I decided to purchase the 17” alloy space saver wheel and tire (part number 36-11-0-445-045 set “emergency wheel”) from the dealer. BMW (worldwide) lists this set as the one which is compatible with the 1M and the M3. The set was sent to the dealer from Vancouver. This was the last one in Canada and there were no more, apparently, available from Germany. This set wasn’t inexpensive ($362.00 plus tax Canadian). The dealer guaranteed that it would fit the 1M and I almost took this for gospel. On further thought I asked the dealer to test fit this to our 1M. Good thing!

This wheel will not fit over the front brakes of the 1M! I repeat – THIS WHEEL WILL NOT FIT OVER THE FRONT BRAKES OF THE 1M! And, hence it should not fit the M3 either! The dealer was shocked and refunded our cost with a humble apology and a promise to let BMW know about their misrepresentation in no uncertain terms. This is pretty bad on BMW’s part and I wonder how many folks around the world have purchased this 17” set for their M3s or 1Ms without checking for fit (gs/e60/1m/? in Flanders on post #35 on this string ordered one recently)? Imagine the frustration of trying to deal with a shredded front tire beside the highway and not being able to fit this space saver?! BMW should be taken to task for this error!

So it’s back to the quest. I have found the technical tire/rim info on here very educational, especially when it comes to the rolling diameter of the rim/tire and how close this comes to our setups front and rear. The rears, with the diff situation, appears to be critical so that it is not damaged by a slow short drive to service with a less than good size space saver on one side. Thanks to MDORPHN and Dackelone for info on determining rolling diameters.

The bmw's mini spare tire is quite close in overal diameter to the 135i rear tire height. Less than 0.5%. But for the 1M it's 6% smaller. Since BMW lists this spare as approved - i'd say as long as your full size spare tire is within 6% in dia you should be ok. Should. ?

My next move will be to look further into the 18” SS steel spare offered by Bimmerzone that they show by video clip fitting on the front of the e9X series of M3s (so it should fit the 1M?). See my post #22 in this string. By my calculation the rolling diameter of the Bimmerzone set-up (145/70R18) would be 25.99 (say 26) inches, which sits closely between the diameters of both the front and rear OEMs and is better sized than the alloy SS spare- if it would have fit over the front brakes.

pete
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #37
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaigaTii View Post
We took delivery of our AW 1M last Thursday (Feb 16) on Vancouver Island.

Since I have been agitating about a spare tire solution for this car for long road trips I decided to purchase the 17” alloy space saver wheel and tire (part number 36-11-0-445-045 set “emergency wheel”) from the dealer. BMW (worldwide) lists this set as the one which is compatible with the 1M and the M3. The set was sent to the dealer from Vancouver. This was the last one in Canada and there were no more, apparently, available from Germany. This set wasn’t inexpensive ($362.00 plus tax Canadian). The dealer guaranteed that it would fit the 1M and I almost took this for gospel. On further thought I asked the dealer to test fit this to our 1M. Good thing!

This wheel will not fit over the front brakes of the 1M! I repeat – THIS WHEEL WILL NOT FIT OVER THE FRONT BRAKES OF THE 1M! And, hence it should not fit the M3 either! The dealer was shocked and refunded our cost with a humble apology and a promise to let BMW know about their misrepresentation in no uncertain terms. This is pretty bad on BMW’s part and I wonder how many folks around the world have purchased this 17” set for their M3s or 1Ms without checking for fit (gs/e60/1m/? in Flanders on post #35 on this string ordered one recently)? Imagine the frustration of trying to deal with a shredded front tire beside the highway and not being able to fit this space saver?! BMW should be taken to task for this error!

So it’s back to the quest. I have found the technical tire/rim info on here very educational, especially when it comes to the rolling diameter of the rim/tire and how close this comes to our setups front and rear. The rears, with the diff situation, appears to be critical so that it is not damaged by a slow short drive to service with a less than good size space saver on one side. Thanks to MDORPHN and Dackelone for info on determining rolling diameters.

My next move will be to look further into the 18” SS steel spare offered by Bimmerzone that they show by video clip fitting on the front of the e9X series of M3s (so it should fit the 1M?). See my post #22 in this string. By my calculation the rolling diameter of the Bimmerzone set-up (145/70R18) would be 25.99 (say 26) inches, which sits closely between the diameters of both the front and rear OEMs and is better sized than the alloy SS spare- if it would have fit over the front brakes.

pete

Waw Thanks for the info Pete I'm returning the spare as of tomorrow morning. I'll even let them try to put it on cuz they won't take my word for it........ offcourse

Jeez I love this forum & their members. Always helpfull thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #38
flzrider
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaigaTii View Post
The Bimmerzone spare kit seems to be the best option so far. It is an 18" wheel, (big enough to clear the front brakes) and also a 145/70/18 tire, which gets very close in size to the rear tire overall diameter. The only problem is the price, which I find wayyyy to high. We already know the steel wheel can be had for about ~$80 from BMW, the question is where can we find an affordable T145/70/18 spare tire?
      02-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #39
Tom303
Private
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

I went with Maxxis tire size
T155/70R18 112M M9500N (COMPACT SPARE TIRE)
for $139 delivered.

I just check and they increases the price by $10.

https://www.shopmaxxis.com/b2c/
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #40
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom303 View Post
for $139 delivered.

So that is $139 for a Maxxis tire. Where did you order/buy an 18" wheel from? Part number by chance?

Btw guys... the e60 (spare tie kit) uses a 18" spare - I believe.

TIA,
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #41
flzrider
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom303 View Post
for $139 delivered.

I had just come across that site before you posted it. Found it here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=561806

I did the same and ordered the T155/70R18 spare tire for $159. Also ordered the OEM steel 18" wheel. This is the same spare setup as what the 535i owner did in the link above.

The 155/70R18 tire size is 0.9% larger than the OEM rear tire size on the 1M, which I think is close enough. The only other tire size that I found that is closer to the stock rear tire size is the Pirelli T135/80R18 that tirerack apparently sells, and that one was 0.76% larger.
      02-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #42
flzrider
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
So that is $139 for a Maxxis tire. Where did you order/buy an 18" wheel from? Part number by chance?

Btw guys... the e60 (spare tie kit) uses a 18" spare - I believe.

TIA,
Dackel
Info can be found here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=561806
      02-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #43
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
THANKS for the info.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #44
TaigaTii
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Steel Compact Spare

This is all great info!

gs/e60/1m? let us know how you make out taking the 17” alloy (supposedly to fit M3 and 1M) back to the dealer?

So it looks like the BMW black steel 18” compact spare wheel ( part # 36-11-6-768-861 for the X5 and X6) should work on the 1M (and M3) with the appropriate tire (ie Maxxis 155/70-18 112M part # TP 10676000 giving a diameter of 26.54”or several of the other suggested choices). Thanks Tom303 and flzrider for the link to this information!

I have a couple of questions related to using this wheel on our 1Ms:-

1) Is the bolt/stud hole size on this wheel larger that what is on the 1M wheels? ie ours are sized to take a stud 12mm in diameter.

2) If the hole size on the steel wheel is larger is the purpose of the “centering ring” to ensure that the smaller diameter 1M (M3) bolt/studs will center precisely in the steel wheel holes? – Or is there another purpose for the ring?

3) Will our 1M bolts/studs be useable with the steel wheel or will a different set of bolts/studs be required? ie same diameter but different length?

Thanks for your help - pete
Appreciate 0