BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
JohnnyCakes
Rep
Drives: 1-Series M

Borla Exhaust - 1M initial thoughts

Hi Everyone,
I'd like to share my initial experiences with the upcoming new Borla axle back muffler for the BMW 1-M.

In January, I had the great oportunity to loan the guys at Borla my car to test fit some new prototype products they are working on specifically for the 1-M. I eagerly picked up the car last Friday and can report that I'm very happy with the results!

Motivation:

Since owning the car, I have felt that the stock car has a fairly muted exhaust note. I once heard that something approaching 50% of a person's emotional impression of "speed" and "high performance" is tied into the noise they hear their vehicle making. Having come from a 2004 VW R32, I felt that the 1-M could use a more visceral exhaust experience but also wanted something that was livable for everyday life. This was my motivation for being a test guinea pig!

Quick thoughts after 200 miles:

- The new exhaust increases exhaust volume under power while maintaining a refined sound and timber similar to the stock muffler with no noticeable resonance, rattles, or heavy metallic notes

- Outside the vehicle, the muffler makes the exhaust note more prominent (compared to the engine mechanical noise or turbo noise) by adding a healthy amount of "growl"

- Inside the vehicle with windows down, exhaust note sounds great making heel/toe down shifts more rewarding =)

- Inside with windows up sounds amazingly composed and quiet at cruise throttle. It's still very quiet inside because of the great sound deadening of the 1-M. I actually believe the 2100-2400RPM highway cruise "drone" is reduced compared to stock. I'll take it! No other noticeable cruise "drones" at other highway RPMs.

- The butt-dyno reports that the car still hauls buns!

- Exhaust tips look very good with a similar design, diameter and fit in the bumper cover to stock.

- The muffler uses the stock exhaust mounts and exhaust clamp location (bolt on mod)

- Have no problems "sneaking around" town and the neighborhood. The new exhaust can be easily driven in a manner to not draw attention toward your car. The fact that I'm driving a bright orange 1-M... not much I can do about that!

Based on my first few days, I think their new muffler is really how the car should have been equipped from the factory. I know a lot of testing and development time went into this muffler and it shows.

I'm planning on attending the 1-M meet up Feb 26 in southern California. I'm looking forward to hearing the relative differences between the Borla and another stock vehicle in person and also recording a quality back to back sound file to share on the forums.

Here are a few photos and a brief video link:

***Edit*** (fixed video link)

https://picasaweb.google.com/JohnnyCakes75/Borla_Exhaust_020412?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMPg u6qYzfqonwE&feat=directlink#5706236164733799698

- JohnnyCakes
Attached Images

Last edited by JohnnyCakes; 07-31-2013 at 12:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #2
Vrumpkin
Seymour J. Vrumpkin
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Great review, exhaust sits beautifully on the car too.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 11:31 PM   #3
Maximus_Prime
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '12 Q5 2.0T, '06 Miata

Garage List
Nice review! Are those fins part of the muffler? Or are they part of a separate aero kit? It's hard to tell from the pictures... Either way it looks nice!
2011 1M | Valencia Orange | #655 of 740
BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance Shadowline Grills | Gloss black iND side markers
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 01:44 AM   #4
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
awesome see you at supercar sunday!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 01:45 AM   #5
AlvinT
Rep
Drives: vw R32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus_Prime View Post
Nice review! Are those fins part of the muffler? Or are they part of a separate aero kit? It's hard to tell from the pictures... Either way it looks nice!
This is Alvin from Borla Performance Industries in CA. Many thanks to JohnCakes for his review of our new Borla 1M ATAK Exhaust and his video post. Some of you are familiar with the post from Harold of HP Autowerks and a Borla 1M exhaust - this is the same rear section exhaust system. We devoted additional time to fine-tune this exhaust note to sound terrific on a stock vehicle AND an aftermarket ECU tune. Many thanks to both of these owners for their assistance in Borla R&D. Please contact Harold in a week regarding availability.

Regarding the fins, stay tuned for more details on our (optional) exhaust-diffuser component...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 02:43 AM   #6
wkndwrrr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvinT View Post
This is Alvin from Borla Performance Industries in CA. Many thanks to JohnCakes for his review of our new Borla 1M ATAK Exhaust and his video post. Some of you are familiar with the post from Harold of HP Autowerks and a Borla 1M exhaust - this is the same rear section exhaust system. We devoted additional time to fine-tune this exhaust note to sound terrific on a stock vehicle AND an aftermarket ECU tune. Many thanks to both of these owners for their assistance in Borla R&D. Please contact Harold in a week regarding availability.

Regarding the fins, stay tuned for more details on our (optional) exhaust-diffuser component...
Those fins look amazing; we need more details!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT

Interested in the diffuser. Exhaust is nice as well! Are you planning on doing the full turbo-back in the future?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Yes the diffusor, can we have some close up photos of the diffusor and the tips from different angels please?

Other questions for the producer and/or reviewer:
- How is the cold start up sound compared to stock?
- Any registered power gains?
- Is the diffusor tested aerodynamically and brings any benefits regarding the lift at the rear of the car or just esthetics?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 02-07-2012 at 09:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #9
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCakes View Post

It's still very quiet inside because of the great sound deadening of the 1-M.

Thanks for the review. The only comment I have is if you really think the 1M has great sound deadening, I hate to hear what you consider average or good.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #10
AlvinT
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Yes the diffusor, can we have some close up photos of the diffusor and the tips from different angels please?

Other questions for the producer and/or reviewer:
- How is the cold start up sound compared to stock?
- Any registered power gains?
- Is the diffusor tested aerodynamically and brings any benefits regarding the lift at the rear of the car or just esthetics?

Thanks in advance.
The cold start-up is slightly louder than stock with a richer-sounding, warmer exotic note. Our system is less restrictive than the stock system with minimum 7-10wHP/tq gains. We devoted considerable time fabricating multiple samples to get this system right. There are (2) mufflers separately-tuned using Borla ATAK technology. As stated from the OP, the cabin resonance issue is reduced but the exhaust is louder at WOT.

We are working closely with an aerodynamicist on our exhaust-diffuser development to optimize performance of this unique product. We'll have more details at the SoCal 1M GTG later this month. I can share some information for those interested:
- This exhaust-diffuser is an option to our Borla ATAK system, PN-11820
- This integrated option mounts directly to this exhaust system
- There is no drilling required or the need to remove any stock fasteners of your 1M for installation
- It does not contact any surface of your 1M
- It is styled specifically for your 1M in metal to compliment our exhaust tips
- It is designed to improve exterior air-flow with our exhaust system (not a full aero solution to reduce lift)
- Did I mention it looks cool?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #11
speedM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2106 X3 35i, 1M, 05 MCS

that diffuser would look good painted/powder coated black.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #12
AlvinT
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedM View Post
that diffuser would look good painted/powder coated black.
Yes, you could tailor it to your preference.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 02:31 AM   #13
Jante82
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

This Borla Exhaust sounds promising! I hate drone but I would like a louder exhaust @ WOT.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 03:19 AM   #14
Sixspeed J
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Thanks for posting your impressions and a video! It sounds great!

Alvin T do you have any idea on prices yet?
      02-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #15
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvinT View Post
The cold start-up is slightly louder than stock with a richer-sounding, warmer exotic note. Our system is less restrictive than the stock system with minimum 7-10wHP/tq gains. We devoted considerable time fabricating multiple samples to get this system right. There are (2) mufflers separately-tuned using Borla ATAK technology. As stated from the OP, the cabin resonance issue is reduced but the exhaust is louder at WOT.

We are working closely with an aerodynamicist on our exhaust-diffuser development to optimize performance of this unique product. We'll have more details at the SoCal 1M GTG later this month. I can share some information for those interested:
- This exhaust-diffuser is an option to our Borla ATAK system, PN-11820
- This integrated option mounts directly to this exhaust system
- There is no drilling required or the need to remove any stock fasteners of your 1M for installation
- It does not contact any surface of your 1M
- It is styled specifically for your 1M in metal to compliment our exhaust tips
- It is designed to improve exterior air-flow with our exhaust system (not a full aero solution to reduce lift)
- Did I mention it looks cool?
Let me know more when you get the info on the diffuser
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #16
///Morgan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Nice!! I really like Borla Exhausts. I usually choose them when I think on modifying exhaust systems. I recently fitted their catback setup on a MkV R32 and love how it changed the car. Not only in the performance/sound aspect, it also makes a huge upgrade as a estetic modificacion.
Can someone post closer shots of the tips? How about their dimensions vs the OEM ones? 80mm??
Will you offer a full turbo back system?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #17
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

I dig the sound. I would LOVE to hear this paired up with an N55 midpipe.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 11:25 PM   #18
AlvinT
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Morgan View Post
Nice!! I really like Borla Exhausts. I usually choose them when I think on modifying exhaust systems. I recently fitted their catback setup on a MkV R32 and love how it changed the car. Not only in the performance/sound aspect, it also makes a huge upgrade as a estetic modificacion.
Can someone post closer shots of the tips? How about their dimensions vs the OEM ones? 80mm??
Will you offer a full turbo back system?
Yes the tips are ~80mm and at the moment we dont have plans for a turboback. I'll check into more pics..... Website release and pricing very soon.

Another R32 owner?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 06:54 AM   #19
AA5IB
Private
Rep
Drives: VO 1M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Me too. Have the N55 midpipe, impatiently waiting on the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #20
gtslacker
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA5IB View Post
Me too. Have the N55 midpipe, impatiently waiting on the exhaust.
+1...my situation too
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #21
Sy546
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E46 M3, E92 M3

price?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #22
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Here is a link to the same Borla axle back with Mad Dad mid pipe.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=627278
Appreciate 0