BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-27-2014, 11:46 PM   #1
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2012 135I 6MT AW/RED

Can anyone tell me what this warning light means?

hey guys, just got my 1 back from the body shop after it was slammed while parked by a truck. Long story short I went through my Insurance and got it repaired. After driving it back home I noticed it kind of swerves and pulls both right and left still and the steering is tad off. Note I also got a new wheel and tire set up at the same time VMR 710 18x8.5 front et45 18x9.5 rear et50 with new tires. Dont think this would have anything to do with it. The body shop is said they had it aligned at it was fine. I'm also getting this warning light below:

anyone know what this means?

thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 12:13 AM   #2
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Adaptive Headlight Failure.

Your AHLs hook up to your steering so that they can point the direction the car is travelling. I'm guessing the broke/disconnected something while they were down there...
      02-28-2014, 12:14 AM   #3
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMOne35i View Post
hey guys, just got my 1 back from the body shop after it was slammed while parked by a truck. Long story short I went through my Insurance and got it repaired. After driving it back home I noticed it kind of swerves and pulls both right and left still and the steering is tad off. Note I also got a new wheel and tire set up at the same time VMR 710 18x8.5 front et45 18x9.5 rear et50 with new tires. Dont think this would have anything to do with it. The body shop is said they had it aligned at it was fine. I'm also getting this warning light below:

anyone know what this means?

thanks in advance!
Here you go from the manual - it's the adaptive headlight malfunction warning.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 09:27 PM   #4
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Its nice when people say thanks....
      03-04-2014, 02:17 AM   #5
J Lau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46, E82 ,E89, G30

uh oh. did u try to change light bulb?
      03-05-2014, 05:01 PM   #6
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep

Thanks again for all the help.

I think you were right HARLEQUIN. My body shop said the control module underneath the dash needed to be replaced so that may have been the problem. The body shop is replacing my headlamp assembly as well cause it got damaged in the accident so should be fine after that.

Does anyone know if it is common for these to fail after front end collision or damage to the headlamp assembly? just curious
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 02:38 AM   #7
Sixle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: CR 135i N54 6MT

Do you have aftermarket LED angel eyes? In my wreck my ballast dislodged from the velcro and was jamming the motor when i turned the steering wheel. If you have led's w/ ballasts that may be your issue.

Get a friend/family member to turn the steering wheel while your standing in front of the car with the lights on and watch the bulbs turn with the steering wheel, if one turns and not the other you narrowed it down to which light, if both dont move it's likely the control module the body shop dealt with.

Pertaining to your steering issues, after i got my coilovers installed and my alignment done the tech inserted a handheld device into my obd port and had to program the steering wheel position. My new tires also like to follow grroves in the road so that may be part of what you're feeling too. Let us know with what it turns out to be!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 04:06 PM   #8
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep

**UPDATE**

I Just got the car back and it turns out it was the control module. They replaced it and the warning light is now off. But now I have another issue with the headlight projectors not being aligned which makes one headlight look much brighter than the other. I turned on the headlights in front of a wall and you can see that the drivers side light is lower than the passenger side light. is there any way to adjust this? or does this have to be programmed as well like you were saying earlier? also i noticed the lights turn when steering to the right but doesn't seem to turn when going left? I just now had after market LUX H8 V4's installed as well.

any thoughts?

thanks again in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 11:54 PM   #9
Sixle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: CR 135i N54 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMOne35i View Post
I Just got the car back and it turns out it was the control module. They replaced it and the warning light is now off. But now I have another issue with the headlight projectors not being aligned which makes one headlight look much brighter than the other. I turned on the headlights in front of a wall and you can see that the drivers side light is lower than the passenger side light. is there any way to adjust this? or does this have to be programmed as well like you were saying earlier? also i noticed the lights turn when steering to the right but doesn't seem to turn when going left? I just now had after market LUX H8 V4's installed as well.

any thoughts?

thanks again in advance
Sometimes my lights don't turn left if I'm sitting in my driveway but i can see them moving while driving, I wouldn't worry as it seems normal. My girlfriends F30 does the same thing.

The projectors not being aligned leads me to believe its a coding issue but I'm not 100% familiar with the system. I would call your local dealer or an indy that knows their coding. As far as the LUX lights go just make sure your ballasts aren't blocking the movement of the bulbs otherwise you'll likely see the same error light you were experiencing earlier.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 12:25 AM   #10
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixle View Post
Sometimes my lights don't turn left if I'm sitting in my driveway but i can see them moving while driving, I wouldn't worry as it seems normal. My girlfriends F30 does the same thing.

The projectors not being aligned leads me to believe its a coding issue but I'm not 100% familiar with the system. I would call your local dealer or an indy that knows their coding. As far as the LUX lights go just make sure your ballasts aren't blocking the movement of the bulbs otherwise you'll likely see the same error light you were experiencing earlier.
The Driver side light also seems much dimmer than the passenger side, and that happens to be the headlamp that the body shop replaced from my accident with a new one from BMW. I'll check the ballasts as well just to make sure it just doesn't look dimmer because of the angle its at.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 12:26 AM   #11
Motohip
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128i

What does this have to do with suspension

Enter voucher code XKRMLL for $5 off Carly adapter for BMW. For users ordering through Amazon UK or US, please contact trainer@mycarly.com PRIOR to your adapter purchase. You will receive a reply with a special voucher code.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 12:36 AM   #12
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motohip View Post
What does this have to do with suspension
Your right, well the post started as a suspension question but shifted to my headlight issue.
Appreciate 0