BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-01-2016, 10:20 PM   #23
MAMSport
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i M-Sport coupe

Axiom, thank you very much for your input and replies to my queries and for showing me where to find dyno charts. BPC is interesting, but I'm leaning toward TMS as they are local to me. I would really like to know if TMS has their own (no longer Conforti?) tunes or are reselling AA tunes. On the AA site, they are listed as both a supercharger installer and a software retailer, but when I asked one of the sales reps, I was told they did their own.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 11:36 PM   #24
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMSport View Post
Axiom, thank you very much for your input and replies to my queries and for showing me where to find dyno charts. BPC is interesting, but I'm leaning toward TMS as they are local to me. I would really like to know if TMS has their own (no longer Conforti?) tunes or are reselling AA tunes. On the AA site, they are listed as both a supercharger installer and a software retailer, but when I asked one of the sales reps, I was told they did their own.
Unless they plan on dyno tuning, I don't see how locality would be an advantage. When I was planning to do AA (before BPC) I was actually planning on doing a dyno tune from AA. I have no interest in their off thw shelf product.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 12:25 PM   #25
MAMSport
Second Lieutenant
Rep

One advantage of having someone do the install is the implicit guarantee that things will be right when I leave. While I'm sure the % of instances where the self-installation goes wrong is low, I would not be in a good place if I had to chase back and forth for hours/days until it is resolved.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 12:38 PM   #26
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
One advantage of having someone do the install is the implicit guarantee that things will be right when I leave. While I'm sure the % of instances where the self-installation goes wrong is low, I would not be in a good place if I had to chase back and forth for hours/days until it is resolved.
You need a battery charger and the hand held - or you can drive to them. But to each their own.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 06:24 PM   #27
MAMSport
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It's been a few weeks since completing the 3-stage manifold swap. I am noticing a weird run issue around 2400 rpm and under moderate acceleration (say, on an entrance ramp onto the highway). I get a shudder, but I'm not yet certain whether it is from the engine or from wheel hop/slip. The traction light does not illuminate when this occurs (two or three times so far). I have only just been able to correlate the rpms with the situation.

I'm still on the manifold only, no software yet. No 'check engine' light shows, either. Very weird and a bit disconcerting. Keep in mind that I have a '13 128i with only 18k miles, driving here in eastern MA.

Anyone had similar situations?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 05:06 PM   #28
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Try resetting adaptations
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 05:33 PM   #29
MAMSport
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Spoke with BMW service adviser. She speculates that it might be an ignition coil(s) issue, so I will take the car to them in a couple days to have a diagnosis and code reading. Seems to run fine at times and stumble at others.

How do you reset adaptations with 6 speed manual cars, please?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 08:14 AM   #30
Blacksport
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i

Quote:
It's been a few weeks since completing the 3-stage manifold swap. I am noticing a weird run issue around 2400 rpm and under moderate acceleration (say, on an entrance ramp onto the highway). I get a shudder, but I'm not yet certain whether it is from the engine or from wheel hop/slip. The traction light does not illuminate when this occurs (two or three times so far). I have only just been able to correlate the rpms with the situation.

I'm still on the manifold only, no software yet. No 'check engine' light shows, either. Very weird and a bit disconcerting. Keep in mind that I have a '13 128i with only 18k miles, driving here in eastern MA.

Anyone had similar situations?
What do you mean "manifold only, no software.."?? That's your problem right there...without a flash, the DISA valves aren't actuating, so you're probably getting less HP than stock...

BTW, I have the P3 Cars digital gauge now...very cool...at start-up it flashes and resents any codes...I usually leave it on speed, so I get a nice digital speed readout...I'm still getting a code, post-cat heaters...they've been removed with the post-cat O2 sensors...AA & Eurowerkes (his local dealer) did a good job with the re-flash; the car is amazingly quick now...I'm not going to let them mess with it just to remove the heater codes...
'13 128i 6sp, '19 Cherokee Ltd 3.2, '17 Ducati SuperSport S Gone But Not Forgotten: 74 Z28, 77 Datsun 280Z (1st 5sp in US), 92 Nissan 300ZTT, 94 MB SL600 V12, 01 M Roadster, 66 Yamaha TwinJet 100, 70 Suzuki X6 Hustler Race: GP/FP Spitfire SCCA, Merlyn FF SCCA, Mazda RX7 IMSA GTU, Yamaha FZR 400 AMA.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 08:57 AM   #31
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Spoke with BMW service adviser. She speculates that it might be an ignition coil(s) issue, so I will take the car to them in a couple days to have a diagnosis and code reading. Seems to run fine at times and stumble at others.

How do you reset adaptations with 6 speed manual cars, please?
Yep, coils will cause that.

And you can reset the adaptations with the pedal sequence (ignition in the ON position, foot on throttle all the way down for 25 seconds, and then turn completely off)

I think that's it, but double check.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 09:25 PM   #32
MAMSport
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I hope to find more information tomorrow when my local BMW center checks codes for me.

Axiom had set up a thread with dyno charts (E90post?). There was at least one set of charts that showed an increase in torque and hp with only the 3 stage manifold modification. The same car was then later compared with a tune, and there were additional gains (although there was a note that the dyno after the tune was not done in similar climatic conditions. The poster speculated that there would have been more appreciable gains had the dyno after the tune been conducted in conditions similar to the baseline and baseline with 3-stage intake dyno charts.

Axiom, thank you for the procedure for resetting adaptations.

I will update after the dealership visit tomorrow.

NOTE: Dealership tech read code indicating failing coil in cylinder 3. Due to issues with coils, even from different suppliers, they changed all six coils on a 2013 with 18.7k miles. Car is happy again, which makes ME happy again!!!

Last edited by MAMSport; 01-14-2017 at 09:13 PM.. Reason: update information
Appreciate 0