BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #243
machewbacca
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

understandable, but for me, the performance gains on a stock car outweigh the risks of possibly losing my warranty. I've had the car in for the HPFP recall and had no issues. cobb ap is highly recommended.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 07:01 PM   #244
Wilks
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135 Convertible

Even if they detect a flash they can't void the warranty completely - they have to prove the flash caused the specific part to fail. I think some people on this thread are being overly sensitive. I ran a GIAC flash on a 2.0 FSI car from 200 miles and traded it in at 41000 miles. I was up front with the dealer and as an example they warrantied a diverter valve. I know for a fact a large BMW dealer near me is doing/ has done the recall HPFP no questions asked on cars they know are flashed. I dont get all the hysteria. If you want more power get a Cobb, GIAC or ESS flash. If you are too scared to do it no need to whine on this thread. Stick to your 300 horses and don't complain when a tuned N54 blows by you.....

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 07:14 PM   #245
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by machewbacca View Post
understandable, but for me, the performance gains on a stock car outweigh the risks of possibly losing my warranty. I've had the car in for the HPFP recall and had no issues. cobb ap is highly recommended.
You weighed the info and decided that in your case its a risk you can and are willing to take. Everyone has to figure out for themselves. My 135 is my DD, I have a S/C's C6 Vette for weekend duty. For now, thats where most of my mod money goes. Down the road some I will do a hp/tq bump to the 1 but in no hurry.

BMW not doing a complete search of the electronics on your car for a HPFP(thousands of them) doesnt impress me. Lets see how deep they look if you hole a piston or throw a rod.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #246
RX-BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i sport package 6AT

So after the last firmware update and flashing 93 octane map v201, cruise control does not work. Also, when I go to "see current map", is it supposed to say "reflash stage1 93oct v201?"
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #247
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-BMW View Post
So after the last firmware update and flashing 93 octane map v201, cruise control does not work. Also, when I go to "see current map", is it supposed to say "reflash stage1 93oct v201?"

Cruise has never worked. Cobb mentioned it in another post that they are aware of the problem and that they are working on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 02:48 PM   #248
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
i'm curious about the boost control/overshooting boost scenarios. it seems to me like actual wastegate control is a more ideal boost management protocol, but i haven't fully researched cobb's methods. if i'm overlooking posts in this thread or e90post, i apologize....there's definitely a lot to sift through.
cobb-

any comment on torque-targeting versus actual wastegate control? thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 10:30 PM   #249
RX-BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboworld View Post
Cruise has never worked. Cobb mentioned it in another post that they are aware of the problem and that they are working on it.
I gotcha, thought that i saw on COBB forums that they fixed it.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 01:49 PM   #250
packetpilot
Banned
Rep
Drives: California Packet
Location: Left edge of browser window beneath 'join date' obvi

Love my flash, but two worries...

I flashed my car (with a beta from the 2/2 update) this past Friday and drove it pretty heavily over the weekend. While I'm very happy with the performance of the car, I noticed two things that keep me from being 100% satisfied and I'd like to see if anyone else has experienced them:

- Actual and Requested TPS, despite very light and steady depression (perhaps around values of 30%) read, for short bursts at 81 (WOT, as far as I know).

- At lower RPMs, acceleration at WOT or near WOT would cause the car to vibrate/lightly shudder, most noticeable in 5th/6th gear around speeds of 50/60 MPH respectively. It was quite faint, but I could definitely feel it in my butt.

Has anyone else noticed either or both of these behaviors? Please state if you have a beta flash or not.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 01:00 AM   #251
theboogieman1
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisdave View Post
I flashed my car (with a beta from the 2/2 update) this past Friday and drove it pretty heavily over the weekend. While I'm very happy with the performance of the car, I noticed two things that keep me from being 100% satisfied and I'd like to see if anyone else has experienced them:

- Actual and Requested TPS, despite very light and steady depression (perhaps around values of 30%) read, for short bursts at 81 (WOT, as far as I know).

- At lower RPMs, acceleration at WOT or near WOT would cause the car to vibrate/lightly shudder, most noticeable in 5th/6th gear around speeds of 50/60 MPH respectively. It was quite faint, but I could definitely feel it in my butt.

Has anyone else noticed either or both of these behaviors? Please state if you have a beta flash or not.

I have not felt that on this tune but did on the GIAC stage 1. It's very slight and almost feels like misfires but not bad enough. I will have to run my car a little more to see if this happens with the Cobb. With the GIAC It happened to me in 4th and up when WOT. I was talking to some people and they thought it could be a sign of the HPFP having issues or injectors going bad. I'm just about due for a service so I'm going to have them look into that as an option and see whats up. I have also been having some times where it takes the car a little more than normal to start. I'll update if I find anything on my end.
      02-08-2011, 12:38 PM   #252
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

I wonder if it is the same problem that is happening with the Dinan tune? Seems that all tunes might be doing roughly the same things so they end up with the same problems. Here is an explanation from a different forum.

Quote:
At the September Autox there were several of us who noticed that the red Dinan and one other 135i were making an unusual pulsing as it accelerated on some of the longer straighter stretches.

I went to the Dinan open house on Saturday and saw the same car on the Dyno (putting out 350 hp!) and doing the same oscillation. So naturally I asked why. Here is the explanation. They are still using the PID control loop (if you don't know what that is just google it and you will get tons of explanations) from the factory and it's the waste gate "seeing" boost and then "not seeing" boost and basically pulsing the waste gate causing the oscillation. There is an actually pulsing in the output as well seeing the dyno output the pulses are visible as drops in the cars output.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #253
Lord Cuckoo
Rep
Drives: 535i

Is there a limit to the number of times the ECU can be flashed on a 4/2007 build e60 535i? For example, every time you uninstall the tune before a service visit you're basically flashing the old software back onto the ECU and when you reinstall the tune after the service you have to flash the ECU again. The reason why I ask is because the e39 M5 DME could only be flashed 8 times before it locked out additional flashes.

Also, you stated that the 2007 335i is currently not supported... Do you mean MY2007 or are you referring to 2007 build date?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #254
packetpilot
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique14 View Post
I wonder if it is the same problem that is happening with the Dinan tune? Seems that all tunes might be doing roughly the same things so they end up with the same problems. Here is an explanation from a different forum.
Thanks Nordique; I suppose a very rapid oscillation could be felt as a light 'grinding' or shudder that I'm experiencing. It's good to know that it's not simply isolate with a Cobb tune, but I'd hope that it isn't by design.

More pressingly, though, I'm wondering if other AP tuners have experienced this TPS readout of 81 (max) when the accelerator is nowhere near WOT (in terms of physical position). Judging by the way the car feels, the engine sure is acting like I'm at WOT while the readout displays 81 (and, just to reiterate, the pedal's only around 25-33% depressed). I'm very worried about what this may do to my gas mileage, as I'm practically mashing on the accelerator without even depressing the pedal...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 03:49 PM   #255
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI, G01 m40i, E90 M3

Quote:
More pressingly, though, I'm wondering if other AP tuners have experienced this TPS readout of 81 (max) when the accelerator is nowhere near WOT (in terms of physical position). Judging by the way the car feels, the engine sure is acting like I'm at WOT while the readout displays 81 (and, just to reiterate, the pedal's only around 25-33% depressed). I'm very worried about what this may do to my gas mileage, as I'm practically mashing on the accelerator without even depressing the pedal...
I've felt this issue, but much more so with the v201 map than the v200 map. I asked about this in the E9X forum, and cobb replied saying the v200 and v201 maps should be exactly the same so far as tuning goes.

What maps are you guys running when you get the TPS 81 reading? I might go check this out myself later.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 04:14 PM   #256
packetpilot
Banned
Rep

It must be the newest one (I'm guessing) because in order for me to get the flash, I had to get the beta firmware. I'm uncertain because I'm at the office right now (and don't drive to work).
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 05:19 PM   #257
Rob@Cobb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i ///M Pack

Quote:
Thanks Nordique; I suppose a very rapid oscillation could be felt as a light 'grinding' or shudder that I'm experiencing. It's good to know that it's not simply isolate with a Cobb tune, but I'd hope that it isn't by design.

Hello,

Would you be able to gather a log of when the shutter is happing? I'm curious what that may be.

Seeing 81% TPS at WOT throttle is normal. Can you also data log the 25-33% peddle positions equating to max TPS for me? A suggestion I may have is to flash on Stage 0 and see what kind of TPS values you get a low peddle positions. The tune is more aggressive than stock which requires less throttle input to make the same power.

Feel free to keep the questions coming.

Cheers,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #258
RX-BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So for my earlier question, when i go to 'see current map' on the AP while connected to the car, is it supposed to say "Reflash 93 oct stage 1 v.201" ??

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 05:32 PM   #259
Rob@Cobb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-BMW View Post
So for my earlier question, when i go to 'see current map' on the AP while connected to the car, is it supposed to say "Reflash 93 oct stage 1 v.201" ??

Thanks
Correct. What ROM revision do you have?

Cheers,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #260
RX-BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

1.6.3.2-1303 for Beta firmware. and ROM v.201 (car is an automatic too)
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #261
RX-BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

And I didnt notice the lack of cruise control until recently haha
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 02:22 AM   #262
packetpilot
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@Cobb View Post
Hello,

Would you be able to gather a log of when the shutter is happing? I'm curious what that may be.

Seeing 81% TPS at WOT throttle is normal. Can you also data log the 25-33% peddle positions equating to max TPS for me? A suggestion I may have is to flash on Stage 0 and see what kind of TPS values you get a low peddle positions. The tune is more aggressive than stock which requires less throttle input to make the same power.

Feel free to keep the questions coming.

Cheers,
Rob
Thanks Rob. I'll definitely do some data logging for you once I get behind the wheel again (unfortunately not likely until Friday afternoon) for logging with the shudder. I look forward to doing all I can as an early adopter to help out.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #263
Rob@Cobb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Rob. I'll definitely do some data logging for you once I get behind the wheel again (unfortunately not likely until Friday afternoon) for logging with the shudder. I look forward to doing all I can as an early adopter to help out.
Thank you very much for your time and help.

Cheers,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 12:13 PM   #264
Lord Cuckoo
Rep
Drives: 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Cuckoo View Post
Is there a limit to the number of times the ECU can be flashed on a 4/2007 build e60 535i? For example, every time you uninstall the tune before a service visit you're basically flashing the old software back onto the ECU and when you reinstall the tune after the service you have to flash the ECU again. The reason why I ask is because the e39 M5 DME could only be flashed 8 times before it locked out additional flashes.

Also, you stated that the 2007 335i is currently not supported... Do you mean MY2007 or are you referring to 2007 build date?

Thanks
Hi Rob,

Any answer to the above?

Thanks
Appreciate 0