BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-19-2015, 03:29 PM   #23
markslc1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M, 14 X5 x35i

Compared to the E36M3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubersteuer View Post
Hello all!

After a couple years, I bought the real deal - a 1998 M3 in Cosmos Black on Black leather. It had a factory arched spoiler and LTW wheels. I owned that from 2005 until I sold it in 2013. It was a great daily and I loved the car but it was time to move on. I ordered a brand new e92 335i M sport 6 speed. I had gotten to a point in my life where I wanted a reliable and newer car, especially now that I lived in Vegas. After about 6 months, I realized I really didn't like the e92. It was a nice car but missed that 'x' factor that my e36s had.
So Im curious how you would compare your 128 to your E36m. My M is also getting on in years and I'm looking for a worthy successor. Im sure the n51 is about as strong as the s52, but what about how it drives? Comparisons?
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2015, 12:42 PM   #24
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39, E91, E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by markslc1 View Post
So Im curious how you would compare your 128 to your E36m. My M is also getting on in years and I'm looking for a worthy successor. Im sure the n51 is about as strong as the s52, but what about how it drives? Comparisons?

For being completely different cars designed 2 decades apart, they’re pretty darn close. Weight and power are fairly close and they even have the same rear end ratio!

The interior is fresh and the car itself is safer and has more airbags. Compared to 20 years ago people drive faster in their econoboxes and are more distracted than ever. The steering wheel is nicer, the seats are more comfortable, the car runs smoother, there are fewer creaks and rattles, it has bluetooth for your phone.

I drove my Dad’s e36 m3 with refreshed OEM suspension and bushings an hour before test driving my car to have a baseline.

The biggest differences to me of the 1er were the lack of low-end torque and the suspension/chassis doesn’t feel as planted, it’s a bit floaty and not as flat through turns. It feels like if pushed that the rear end could be snappy like the e36 generation z/m coupe and roadsters. The 1er is a touch wider and a touch shorter than an e36. In stock form, it’s very quiet.

Both of those shortcomings can be overcome. Aftermarket software and suspension (1M/M3 bushings, new shocks and springs, etc) and square tires (non-runflat) can be added. LSD should be retrofitted, but for a DD it isn’t a top priority. I really really like the car, it feels like an updated e36 that hasn’t lost its soul. It retains the feel of the e36 while gaining benefits in technology without going too far into the future like the current generation cars that have electric steering and turbos.

The article here - http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734600 is a good read.

Best of luck on your hunt!
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2015, 06:08 AM   #25
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

Subscribed. Just brought my 2012 128i home a few weeks ago. I liked the Silver though...

So far only mod golf in the exhaust and a CF spoiler that popped on CL.

Have M3 controls arms waiting to go on and probably will do whiteline inserts.

No worry about warranty since it had an early inservice date of 10/11 in Germany overseas delivery.

Such great cars.

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 07:48 AM   #26
wolfe
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82 / e70 / r56 / r60

Looking great! The silver wheels look a ton better IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 12:42 PM   #27
jaximointhecut
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

+1 on silver wheels

& nice move the 128 m sport. Really similar to mine.
      12-29-2015, 08:59 PM   #28
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep

I'm still loving the silver wheels!

Did a touch of tinkering over the holidays -

I picked up an oil filter cap tool and oil with filter from getbmwparts.com. My plan is to follow Mike Miller's maintenance schedule as this car is a keeper for sure. As I approach 55k, I will be doing plugs as well as diff and tranny fluid in the next couple months.

Supplies:

"Dipstick" check:

Also fitted my ZHP knob I bought for my e36. I bought one right away in 2003 when the e46 ZHP sedans first hit showrooms and have run them on a couple e36s I've had. It was my favorite OEM BMW knob until I picked up my e92. Anyways, I drove around with it for a day and preferred my stock golf ball knob. At least I won't have to shell out $200 for the lit M5 version.

Also swapped my sidemarkers a few weeks ago. Hard to see the difference in pictures but the old ones were pretty yellow and hazy looking.

My e36 is in full teardown mode right now and has kept me from thinking about my e82 too much.

Next step I'm leaning towards will be headlights. I'm leaning really heavily towards the pre-LCI style. For whatever reason, I can't get myself to like the LCI eyebrow units on black. They look great on other colors but the eyebrow looks funky to me on black.

The pre-LCI housings look great with chrome or black grills:

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 11:00 AM   #29
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

LCI FTW. The LED eyebrow is a nice detail.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 12:11 PM   #30
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Also fitted my ZHP knob I bought for my e36. I bought one right away in 2003 when the e46 ZHP sedans first hit showrooms and have run them on a couple e36s I've had. It was my favorite OEM BMW knob until I picked up my e92. Anyways, I drove around with it for a day and preferred my stock golf ball knob. At least I won't have to shell out $200 for the lit M5 version.
Good to know. I had been thinking about one day maybe forking over for the lit M5 knob, too, but if it's not an improvement over the M-Sport knob (which I love) there's no point, really.

Quote:
Also swapped my sidemarkers a few weeks ago. Hard to see the difference in pictures but the old ones were pretty yellow and hazy looking.
Hard to capture in pics but a definite improvement. I notice mine all the time; makes the car look much better in person. The hazy, UV-damaged plastic is an eyesore!

Quote:
Next step I'm leaning towards will be headlights. I'm leaning really heavily towards the pre-LCI style. For whatever reason, I can't get myself to like the LCI eyebrow units on black. They look great on other colors but the eyebrow looks funky to me on black.

Thoughts?
Is there a price difference between the pre-LCI and LCI headlamps? If you prefer the look of the older style, and they're cheaper (it seems like they ought to be) than it's a no-brainer: go with the older ones.

Personally I like the look of the LCI lamps - they reduce some of the "bug-eyed" look of the front end while also providing a slightly more modern and up-to-date look. I also liked that I was getting a little more bang for my buck - i.e., not only eliminating amber corners but providing a refreshed front end all around (of course, I did the Performance aero kit at around the same time).

The downside, besides possibly being more expensive than the pre-LCI lights, is that they are not truly plug-and-play in pre-LCI cars. You do have to do a little bit of wiring to make them work, but it's not too difficult.

Either way, I don't think you can go wrong. For me, personally, I couldn't justify the expense (and make no mistake, it is expensive) just for the clear corners, but the additional benefit of the updated LCI look was enough to push me over the edge. But if you're doing a halogen-to-xenon conversion anyway, then of course it makes sense to pick up the lamps with clear corners while you're at it.
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2015, 05:24 PM   #31
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Good to know. I had been thinking about one day maybe forking over for the lit M5 knob, too, but if it's not an improvement over the M-Sport knob (which I love) there's no point, really.
Not worth it until your stock one is well worn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post

Is there a price difference between the pre-LCI and LCI headlamps? If you prefer the look of the older style, and they're cheaper (it seems like they ought to be) than it's a no-brainer: go with the older ones.

Personally I like the look of the LCI lamps - they reduce some of the "bug-eyed" look of the front end while also providing a slightly more modern and up-to-date look. I also liked that I was getting a little more bang for my buck - i.e., not only eliminating amber corners but providing a refreshed front end all around (of course, I did the Performance aero kit at around the same time).

The downside, besides possibly being more expensive than the pre-LCI lights, is that they are not truly plug-and-play in pre-LCI cars. You do have to do a little bit of wiring to make them work, but it's not too difficult.

Either way, I don't think you can go wrong. For me, personally, I couldn't justify the expense (and make no mistake, it is expensive) just for the clear corners, but the additional benefit of the updated LCI look was enough to push me over the edge. But if you're doing a halogen-to-xenon conversion anyway, then of course it makes sense to pick up the lamps with clear corners while you're at it.
I really really like the LCIs on your car and other cars that have color, i.e LeMans Blue. Cost isn't really a consideration in the sense that I plan to keep the car for 10+ years if I can, may as well do mods right.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 07:30 PM   #32
E82IsTheWay!
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

cant wait till you do the headlight retrofit, i would love to know how to do it myself.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 10:11 PM   #33
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08128i View Post
cant wait till you do the headlight retrofit, i would love to know how to do it myself.
Me either!

Part one of the headlight retrofit jigsaw puzzle has arrived:

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 02:20 PM   #34
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep

New OEM Valeo ballasts have arrived.

So far my ordered/delivered parts list includes:
-Coding cable and software
-Euro pre-LCI non-AHL headlight housings
-Valeo ballasts
-OEM silver turn signal bulbs
-OEM electrical connectors
-FRM3

Still need to order:
-Xenon bulbs
-Angel eye bulbs
-Wiring supplies
-Level sensors

The OEM harness (which is no longer available) is fairly redundant. From what I can tell, only a few connections need to be made from the FRM to the headlights and level sensors. I am going to measure out and build a harness that will run bundled up in tandem with the factory harness. I am going to buy OE grade wire wrap so it will look as stock as possible. Depending on how smoothly it goes, I may build a couple of more wire harnesses for the cost of parts and my time for those looking to do the same swap.

Also snapped a random picture in town this weekend. Apparently we have a German clubhouse here.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 07:06 PM   #35
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Oh, nice.

And I've still got nothing. Gahhh!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 10:19 PM   #36
_Pants
Private
Rep
Drives: E82 128i, F31 330xi, Figaro

Quote:

The OEM harness (which is no longer available) is fairly redundant. From what I can tell, only a few connections need to be made from the FRM to the headlights and level sensors. I am going to measure out and build a harness that will run bundled up in tandem with the factory harness. I am going to buy OE grade wire wrap so it will look as stock as possible. Depending on how smoothly it goes, I may build a couple of more wire harnesses for the cost of parts and my time for those looking to do the same swap.
I am extremely interested in this if you think you can make it happen. I am piecing my kit together as well and your write ups have been extremely helpful thus far. Let me know if you think something like this would be possible. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 12:23 PM   #37
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Oh, nice.

And I've still got nothing. Gahhh!
Hurry up!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Pants View Post
I am extremely interested in this if you think you can make it happen. I am piecing my kit together as well and your write ups have been extremely helpful thus far. Let me know if you think something like this would be possible. Thanks!
All depends on how smooth the install goes. Depending on when all my parts arrive, I will work on the retrofit over Presidents Day weekend or when I have a week off in March.

Last edited by E91WAG3N; 02-04-2016 at 01:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 05:56 PM   #38
_Pants
Private
Rep
Drives: E82 128i, F31 330xi, Figaro

Quote:
All depends on how smooth the install goes. Depending on when all my parts arrive, I will work on the retrofit over Presidents Day weekend or when I have a week off in March.
Sounds good to me. Keep me posted and good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 09:13 AM   #39
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
I'm still loving the silver wheels!

Did a touch of tinkering over the holidays -

I picked up an oil filter cap tool and oil with filter from getbmwparts.com. My plan is to follow Mike Miller's maintenance schedule as this car is a keeper for sure. As I approach 55k, I will be doing plugs as well as diff and tranny fluid in the next couple months.

Supplies:

"Dipstick" check:

My e36 is in full teardown mode right now and has kept me from thinking about my e82 too much.

The pre-LCI housings look great with chrome or black grills:

Thoughts?
You can actually get xenon headlights to work with a halogen equipped car? I'm interested in the process. I've scanned through so many pages on here only to read it's not worth it/too complicated/hit or miss/people giving up lol. Would be nice to see someone actually complete this.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 12:51 PM   #40
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
You can actually get xenon headlights to work with a halogen equipped car? I'm interested in the process. I've scanned through so many pages on here only to read it's not worth it/too complicated/hit or miss/people giving up lol. Would be nice to see someone actually complete this.
The retrofit can be done and people have done it. I think most people are put off by the price and the uncertainty of performing the actual retrofit. Others overestimate their own skillset and get stuck.

Most of the problem of having consistent information about the swap is the number of different headlights (AHL vs. non) and different versions of the car (Euro vs. USDM) and different FRM modules. You end up with quite a few potential combinations that will be configured differently.

Add in that most of the people either had their retrofit professionally done and/or used the OEM harness that is no longer available. Others skipped the harness and used resistors, leaving the software in 'halogen mode' and tricking the computer.

The retrofit combines wiring and coding which are two areas that are generally scary to tackle for a lot of people.

With all of that in mind, I feel up to the challenge. I had some exposure to coding when I worked at the dealer and I use several coding languages at my day job. I've retrofitted and rewired headlights on several e36s. And the physical installation is straightforward.

I ultimately settled on non-AHL housings because they are less complex and less expensive. I had adaptive on my e92 and there aren't a lot of curvy roads in Vegas so they really didn't make much difference to me. As a bonus, the non-AHL housings are cheaper.

So far I have about $1750 invested in parts and still need to buy wiring supplies which will be around $100. You could do it for a lot less by buying used and getting cheaper bulbs. I bought OEM grade Phillips D1S bulbs, OEM chrome amber bulbs, and PIAA 5000k angel eye bulbs. I do not recommend this for all 128i owners, it's a complete waste of money unless you plan to keep the car long term.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 04:09 PM   #41
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 1
      02-11-2016, 04:17 PM   #42
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Headers?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 04:23 PM   #43
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Headers?
Since I've been posting about headlights for the past month, no

Power will be the last thing I address on this car.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 04:41 PM   #44
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
So far I have about $1750 invested in parts and still need to buy wiring supplies which will be around $100. You could do it for a lot less by buying used and getting cheaper bulbs. I bought OEM grade Phillips D1S bulbs, OEM chrome amber bulbs, and PIAA 5000k angel eye bulbs. I do not recommend this for all 128i owners, it's a complete waste of money unless you plan to keep the car long term.
I'll get to a little bit over $1k...

... but still