BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-14-2014, 12:31 PM   #1
adobeee
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X6 M50i

Exclamation Quick Voltage / AE question

My Alpine HID v3s have worked fine on my 2008 128i for 2.5 years. Alex@Alpine was kind enough to replace a burnt bulb with brand new ones a month ago.

A few days ago, my AEs would turn on normally during unlocking and engine startup (xenon headlights always set to auto), but then turn off/on intermittently randomly when driving. I am now having a problem where the passenger and driver side AEs do not turn on at all anymore.

I popped the hood and can hear a "click" sound coming from the relay as opposed to a "bzzt" sound. The "bzzt" sound only occurred when I had a burnt out bulb.

My guess is that it might be voltage related where the car isn't producing enough juice to power the AEs. Maybe my battery is due for a replacement?

Anyone else have an idea of what's going on?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
adobeee
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X6 M50i

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 10:11 PM   #3
Exile
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 alpine white

I don't have hid ae but just knowing hid's in general from retrofit in my old car, sounds like you might have a bad ground and or power connection; which could be shorting somewhere or relay going bad. Pretty much everything could be wrong lol. I'm saying that because really, either one of the 3 could be the issue.

Is it a traditional 5 pin bosche style relay with a replaceable top half? You can just pick up some from ebay if need be
Appreciate 0