BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-31-2012, 12:18 AM   #1
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

So next service is basically new brake time.. So some nice new discs and less dusty pads

So i figure i'd just get better discs and pads and keep everything else stock as is good enough, sensible.

But the cost to replace all 4 still gets fairly high, like probably 1000-1200 at an estimate... When a bmwp kit is 1800-1900 from what ive found, maybe even cheaper?

So, are there any (non price related) disadvantages to the bmwp kit? Limited disc/pad selection not so great maybe? The calipers are uprated with it too, yes?

Thanks

Ed i also have a question about which spark plugs to buy, but.. Would be different for 135's and there doesnt seem to be many n52 owners on here :/.. Denso's are good though normally yea?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 02:40 AM   #2
Drawn05
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
So next service is basically new brake time.. So some nice new discs and less dusty pads

So i figure i'd just get better discs and pads and keep everything else stock as is good enough, sensible.

But the cost to replace all 4 still gets fairly high, like probably 1000-1200 at an estimate... When a bmwp kit is 1800-1900 from what ive found, maybe even cheaper?

So, are there any (non price related) disadvantages to the bmwp kit? Limited disc/pad selection not so great maybe? The calipers are uprated with it too, yes?

Thanks

Ed i also have a question about which spark plugs to buy, but.. Would be different for 135's and there doesnt seem to be many n52 owners on here :/.. Denso's are good though normally yea?
Send stu@bmr a pm. He is in the game of getting good prices for parts for our cars. My wife's 125 (which has a 130i tune) has the perf brakes and they are overkill. Stu should be able help with n52 plugs too.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 05:05 AM   #3
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drawn05 View Post
Send stu@bmr a pm. He is in the game of getting good prices for parts for our cars. My wife's 125 (which has a 130i tune) has the perf brakes and they are overkill. Stu should be able help with n52 plugs too.
sweet thanks - best price i found was bmminiparts for $1900 + post front and rear

i found some sweet plugs that are like $30 USD a piece.. but that's probably major overkill for no real reason (unless they're a bit tougher lol)
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 06:52 AM   #4
kmli5
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

These denso ones seem pretty decent, I am thinking of getting them.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330724024...84.m1423.l2649
      05-31-2012, 07:05 AM   #5
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

When are you looking at replacing your brakes? I am looking at replacing mine. Just making some enquiries at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmli5 View Post
These denso ones seem pretty decent, I am thinking of getting them.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330724024...84.m1423.l2649
they're $10 each on amazon, probably get them landed even less than $110.. but yeah, the denso's are what i'm looking at getting still

have you seen the denso IKH01 ? :P $32/plug not shipped. so so expensive lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
When are you looking at replacing your brakes? I am looking at replacing mine. Just making some enquiries at the moment.
would like to get them within the month... especially if i'm getting the BMWP cos i'd have to get them repainted as i really don't want bright yellow brakes, wouldn't suit my car :/

service isn't until september or so though, just it's such a huge service.. and i want to put on some suspension upgrades, i'm buying it all well in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 09:47 AM   #7
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
I did BMWP fronts, will do the rears when they are due.

Best money I have spent in a while(apart from the pup). The standard brakes felt shit, no feel, no bite, no confidence.

Can't wait to try rb74's and some semis!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 09:52 AM   #8
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
would like to get them within the month... especially if i'm getting the BMWP cos i'd have to get them repainted as i really don't want bright yellow brakes, wouldn't suit my car :/
What wheels have you got? I might have my brakes for sale (1M/M3 brakes are better than bmwp ones) - there is a groove on the rear passenger though. Should polish off after a while. calipers are black .
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Quote:

service isn't until september or so though, just it's such a huge service.. and i want to put on some suspension upgrades, i'm buying it all well in advance
Hey flinchy,

are you running 17" wheels or 18" wheels?

If you are running 18" wheels I can quote you up a Nashin kit that will be superior to anything else you may have considered.

If you have 17's you can still use a 6 piston caliper on the front and a 4 piston on the rear, but you rotor size would have to be 330 x 32 mm and 330 x 28 mm respectively.

If you have 18" wheels on the car, you could run a 355 x 32 mm rotor on the front, with the same N-Series 6 pot caliper.

Oh by the way, the calipers do not come in 1 colour, they come in a choice of 10.

Cheers,

JD.
Attached Images

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 05-31-2012 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 02:40 PM   #10
luster
Major
Rep
Drives: e90, e88

I was under the impression that the nashin brakes throw the computer out due to the 'out of range' brake bias compared to anything the vehicle would be expecting.

As you would realise, this would disrupt the stability control systems also.

Is there an alternate option that would give comparable brake forces front and rear with uprated components that will still have the safety systems operating effectively?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 05:01 PM   #11
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by luster View Post
I was under the impression that the nashin brakes throw the computer out due to the 'out of range' brake bias compared to anything the vehicle would be expecting.

As you would realise, this would disrupt the stability control systems also.

Is there an alternate option that would give comparable brake forces front and rear with uprated components that will still have the safety systems operating effectively?
Hey Clint
I have had these brakes on my car for a while now with no issue, i ran them at the track day with all BMW anti this and anti that left on had no problem
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 07:33 PM   #12
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz

What wheels have you got? I might have my brakes for sale (1M/M3 brakes are better than bmwp ones) - there is a groove on the rear passenger though. Should polish off after a while. calipers are black .
18" vmr v701's.. So you're selling stock 1m brakes? How much? Would they even fit right on an e87 130i?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 07:36 PM   #13
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@ADVAN Performance

Hey flinchy,

are you running 17" wheels or 18" wheels?

If you are running 18" wheels I can quote you up a Nashin kit that will be superior to anything else you may have considered.

If you have 17's you can still use a 6 piston caliper on the front and a 4 piston on the rear, but you rotor size would have to be 330 x 32 mm and 330 x 28 mm respectively.

If you have 18" wheels on the car, you could run a 355 x 32 mm rotor on the front, with the same N-Series 6 pot caliper.

Oh by the way, the calipers do not come in 1 colour, they come in a choice of 10.

Cheers,

JD.
18's (sorry for double post btw, bimmerpost iphone app sucks but is stabler than through safari..), as above vmr v701

I'd like 17's on the rear though for performance reasons but really doesn't matter much haha

I think nashin's are way above my price range though lol

Withthe mods im planning, ridiculous upgrade probably isn't so ridiculous.. But good discs and pads will be just enough for now, so id guess bmwp will hold me even better for a while.. So yea all depends on the price

Ed: a quick google tells me closer to 4k?yeah a bit much over the <2k for bmwp lol
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 10:39 PM   #14
luster
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycat View Post
Hey Clint
I have had these brakes on my car for a while now with no issue, i ran them at the track day with all BMW anti this and anti that left on had no problem
How much did you rely on your cars nanny systems on a track day though? lol

Keep an eye on it, there was a private discussion about it on a closed board. Some of the coding guys were trying to find a way to adapt the car to aftermarket braking systems whilst keeping the nanny systems running properly.

It would make sense I guess, as you need to code/adapt the car after installing the BMW BBK - and complete adaptation then takes place after a few 1000 kms.

In any case, for the price of the BMW BBK, I would go down that road, and when/if your rotors crack - look into uprated rotors
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 10:57 PM   #15
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luster

Keep an eye on it, there was a private discussion about it on a closed board. Some of the coding guys were trying to find a way to adapt the car to aftermarket braking systems whilst keeping the nanny systems running properly.

It would make sense I guess, as you need to code/adapt the car after installing the BMW BBK - and complete adaptation then takes place after a few 1000 kms.

In any case, for the price of the BMW BBK, I would go down that road, and when/if your rotors crack - look into uprated rotors
So i take it the bmwp bbk does have a fair rotor/pas selection available?

Actually, how much bigger is it than the stock 130i brakes (im guessing the m-sport pack didnt guve better ones?).. 4 piston up from what.. 2? Larger rotors too then?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 11:11 PM   #16
luster
Major
Rep

Quote:

Actually, how much bigger is it than the stock 130i brakes (im guessing the m-sport pack didnt guve better ones?).. 4 piston up from what.. 2? Larger rotors too then?
The BMW BBK are 6 piston brembo's and the rotors are drilled and slotted and will only fit a 17" or larger wheel.

There is no other options for the rotors that are BMW branded, however, there are plenty of other aftermarket options once you have the BBK.

Don't rice up your car with asian brake kits, they belong on asian cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 11:54 PM   #17
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

'got a mate on the Sunshine Coast who tracks his 130i very frequently. He bought the BMW BBK but couldn't get the rear discs &/or calipers to fit.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 11:57 PM   #18
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by luster
Quote:

The BMW BBK are 6 piston brembo's and the rotors are drilled and slotted and will only fit a 17" or larger wheel.

There is no other options for the rotors that are BMW branded, however, there are plenty of other aftermarket options once you have the BBK.

Agreed.

And we know BMWP kits work with the nanny shit. Kinda important for a registered and insured street car...
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 12:08 AM   #19
kmli5
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:

The disc diameter on our 130i is 330mm and the BMWP bbk is 338mm with 6 pot braking power as opposed to 1 pot.

You know what, I am thinking of upgrading my front to BMWP brake as well. But buying everything new seem a bit expensive for me, so I am just waiting for someone to upgrade their 135i brake.

I had a look at the IKH01, $32!!!! That is the 'racing' model. The lesser $10 one is 'power'.
      06-01-2012, 12:16 AM   #20
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Quote:

so what do the brembo/stoptech folk do?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 02:16 AM   #21
luster
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
so what do the brembo/stoptech folk do?
If you read the literature about stoptech and brembo carefully, you will see they talk about being the only third party manufacturers whom are compliant with OE specification.

(dont forget, brembo MAKE BMW's BBK's)

From stoptech:

A firmer pedal due to stronger and stiffer components, as well as better modulation characteristics under threshold braking are also typical with a properly balanced brake upgrade. As a direct result their basic brake research StopTech has been granted 2 patents in basic brake technology and has 2 patents pending. StopTech is the only brake upgrade company offering balanced brake upgrades compatible with the stock OE rear brakes. StopTech's ST-40 4-piston calipers are manufactured using a squeeze-forged process at Sanyco, a 34-year old company that is CNS, QS 9000, and ISO 9002 certified.

---

Also, one would imagine that STOPTECH which is owned by CENTRIC would have a certain level of product liability coverage (and the fact they have an in-house brake dyno) and would actually have access to BMW cars.

I wonder if the chinese manufacturers have even seen a BMW :P

I dont want to be a dick, but I wouldn't trust my family in the hands of an unknown manufacturer, especially from china.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 02:32 AM   #22
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

ahh so plenty of braking force to lock my wheels up then lol.. and what should be enough cooling in the discs to not overhead, too

i don't care about sticking to BMW branded anything, just that this whole kit including rotors and pads is $2k when a 3rd party BBK is more like $4k..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmli5 View Post
The disc diameter on our 130i is 330mm and the BMWP bbk is 338mm with 6 pot braking power as opposed to 1 pot.

You know what, I am thinking of upgrading my front to BMWP brake as well. But buying everything new seem a bit expensive for me, so I am just waiting for someone to upgrade their 135i brake.

I had a look at the IKH01, $32!!!! That is the 'racing' model. The lesser $10 one is 'power'.
so a little bigger, sounds fine to me!

yeah, i'm tempted to get just to say i do, but really that's more than likely a waste of money haha
Appreciate 0