BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #287
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidwarD View Post
Yes they were, but I figured I wanted it to look somewhat decent. I heard a lot of different opinions with the HID's Mod's or Jlevis sold with their DEPO's. So I looked around and found some good reviews about the MTEC HID's. So far they are exactly what I wanted and give off a great amount of light with out the errors or the odd color hue. The MTEC kit was a well put together product. did not feel or look cheap. I didn't see or hear of anyone else doing this type of combination so I figured I would go for it and give it a shot.

All together I spent around $6-700. But I am happy with the outcome..
Not bad though considering what you took from the stock semi-crappy DEPOs and what you made them. Did you install them yourself and have some directions on how you did it...? (placement of ballasts for HID, and the annoying replacement of the DEPO led rings lights!?)

I might get this as a B-day present for myself in April and was just wondering how much work it is to install both. Also do you have pics of the beam pattern of the HID. And lastly do DEPOs have DRL functionality in "Auto" mode?

Last edited by Satalite; 01-14-2012 at 08:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #288
SquidwarD
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post
Not bad though considering what you took from the stock semi-crappy DEPOs and what you made them. Did you install them yourself and have some directions on how you did it...? (placement of ballasts for HID, and the annoying replacement of the DEPO led rings lights!?)

I might get this as a B-day present for myself in April and was just wondering how much work it is to install both. Also do you have pics of the beam pattern of the HID. And lastly do DEPOs have DRL functionality in "Auto" mode?
Over all the install took me about two hours max. The bumper was the hardest part of the install. It is very easy to do yourself. The hardest part is separating the bumper from the left and right side wheel well. You will need separator pliers or what ever they are called and some strength. It is a little stuck which makes it tough. It will feel like you're going to break something but it will be fine. Here is a quick write up DIY to remove the front bumper... http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224260

The replacement of the LED's I found to be quite easy. I didn't need to use any tools or tweezers, I just used my hands and went slow. If you have large hands you might need tools, but long needle nose pliers will work.

The Ballast were places directly behind the head light on the inner side of the wheel well. (see picture below) the kit comes with everything you need to mount the ballast including mounting rails and nuts and screws.

I got you a picture of the beam pattern, it is not the best it was taken on an iPhone but it was when I started my car this morning and had an opportunity to take it. There is a light against the wall but you still can see it and get an idea. I will try to get a better photo for you. Also, I have not fully set the beams correctly so the light is slightly higher with a curve at the top of the pattern but that should go down once I bring the beams down more.

As for having the AE's as DRL's its not possible with just the basic install. You would need to do some extra wiring which is covered in a DIY on this forum somewhere. I just move the light switch to the right one spot from the center and it will run the AE's alone.

I hope that about sums it all up for it for everything you asked.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #289
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Wow thanks for the in-depth answers! Now just have to get the supplies!
      01-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #290
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidwarD View Post
Over all the install took me about two hours max. The bumper was the hardest part of the install. It is very easy to do yourself. The hardest part is separating the bumper from the left and right side wheel well. You will need separator pliers or what ever they are called and some strength. It is a little stuck which makes it tough. It will feel like you're going to break something but it will be fine. Here is a quick write up DIY to remove the front bumper... http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224260

The replacement of the LED's I found to be quite easy. I didn't need to use any tools or tweezers, I just used my hands and went slow. If you have large hands you might need tools, but long needle nose pliers will work.

The Ballast were places directly behind the head light on the inner side of the wheel well. (see picture below) the kit comes with everything you need to mount the ballast including mounting rails and nuts and screws.

I got you a picture of the beam pattern, it is not the best it was taken on an iPhone but it was when I started my car this morning and had an opportunity to take it. There is a light against the wall but you still can see it and get an idea. I will try to get a better photo for you. Also, I have not fully set the beams correctly so the light is slightly higher with a curve at the top of the pattern but that should go down once I bring the beams down more.

As for having the AE's as DRL's its not possible with just the basic install. You would need to do some extra wiring which is covered in a DIY on this forum somewhere. I just move the light switch to the right one spot from the center and it will run the AE's alone.

I hope that about sums it all up for it for everything you asked.
Thanks for the info and pics. The beam pattern and cutoff don't look ideal, but certainly not bad. And, you avoided the insane costs of retrofitting HID projectors into the DEPOs. As for running the angel eyes as DRLs, you don't need to change any wiring. You need to find someone with NCS Expert and they can code the city lights as DRLs. The DEPO angel eyes use the city lights. You want to look for this coding in the FRM module: VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL and change the coded value from "drl_h" to "drl_s" without the quotes.

Last edited by AW128i; 01-18-2012 at 11:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 12:38 AM   #291
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
This is going to be my next mod.
      02-10-2012, 07:03 AM   #292
Dirty Tool
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aacabriolet View Post
@Daniel those look really good! Is it good in sunlight?

I've been considering depos but the frog eyed bulbous look puts me off although it doesn't look as bad with angel eyes illuminated.
This has put me off this mod also. All other DEPO headlights looks very similar to stock apart from the 1 series

It is possible to put an aftermarket HID kit into a OEM projector?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #293
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
I don't even know. The current OEM projectors are really good. But anything is possible!
      05-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #294
kknd
Rep
Drives: BMW E87

lighthouse Sonar Halo E87

Hello folks, I bought a lighthouse Sonar Halo by ebay, and I'm thinking he's scruffy, this overshadowed the people on the right side. The left side is a perfect line.
Alquem have any tips? Information?
Had to adjust the lens opening this lighthouse?

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 03:54 AM   #295
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '14 435i Coupe

No switch inside to change from LHD to RHD?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 08:10 AM   #296
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

I believe Brazil is RHD just like the U.S. If that's the case, then the beam pattern is correct. However, it looks like the passenger's side light is aimed significantly higher than the driver's side, which would cause the problems you're pics are demonstrating. That being said, the lights you have, have a European beam pattern, which has a step up to the right and looks normal to me.
      05-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #297
kknd
Rep

Quote:
No switch inside to change from LHD to RHD?
Aacabriolet Thanks, now I know that there is a setting in the lighthouse, did not know it existed.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #298
kknd
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post
I believe Brazil is RHD just like the U.S. If that's the case, then the beam pattern is correct. However, it looks like the passenger's side light is aimed significantly higher than the driver's side, which would cause the problems you're pics are demonstrating. That being said, the lights you have, have a European beam pattern, which has a step up to the right and looks normal to me.
AW128i, thank you, here in Brazil is also RHD,
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 10:03 AM   #299
Ebersbach1992
Registered
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW G20

Hey!
Perfect with all these pics and ideas! Thanks!

But I just bought these lamps and installed them on my 120d Coupe yesterday.

But I'm not wildly impressed with the brightness of my Angle Eyes.

So just one question; Are there any possibility to make them brighter?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #300
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Any night pics of the lights, maybe with a beam pattern and cutoff shot, too? I would appreciate it! All the manufacturer pics of those lights are blown out and make the angel eyes seem extremely bright, which I doubt they are (especially with your comment about making them brighter).
      06-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #301
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebersbach1992 View Post
Hey!
Perfect with all these pics and ideas! Thanks!

But I just bought these lamps and installed them on my 120d Coupe yesterday.

But I'm not wildly impressed with the brightness of my Angle Eyes.

So just one question; Are there any possibility to make them brighter?
Yeah there are brighters wedge type LED's on eBay - a kit which is made for the depos. Will try find the link for you. Popular on the german forums.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #302
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

Link - http://www.ebay.de/itm/20-SMD-LED-T5...-/110625118088
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #303
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah there are brighters wedge type LED's on eBay - a kit which is made for the depos. Will try find the link for you. Popular on the german forums.
Except Ebersbach's lights aren't Depos. I believe they're Sonars and I don't think the LEDs that light the angel eyes are user-replaceable. Not 100% on that, however.
      06-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #304
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post
Except Ebersbach's lights aren't Depos. I believe they're Sonars and I don't think the LEDs that light the angel eyes are user-replaceable. Not 100% on that, however.
Oooh yes you're right. Thanks for correcting. Just assumed since this is the "Depos" thread.

Not sure how to mod the sonar lights, although I did see a user on this forum install a LED ring in the Depo lights. Maybe the sonars can be modded the same.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...07#post8620007
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 01:50 AM   #305
DanielC4
Rep

Hi guys, I have a 2012 that came with halogens (unfortunately) and I am getting ready to purchase a pair of Depo's but do they come with a silver housing instead of black like they have at http://www.**********s.com/Depo-Headlights-E82.htm? I already purchases these LED's for the angel eyes http://www.ebay.de/itm/20-SMD-LED-T5...#ht_8817wt_986, but now I am waiting to see if they make a silver housing...
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #306
jaybepr
Enlisted Member
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielC4 View Post
Hi guys, I have a 2012 that came with halogens (unfortunately) and I am getting ready to purchase a pair of Depo's but do they come with a silver housing instead of black like they have at http://www.**********s.com/Depo-Headlights-E82.htm? I already purchases these LED's for the angel eyes http://www.ebay.de/itm/20-SMD-LED-T5...#ht_8817wt_986, but now I am waiting to see if they make a silver housing...
Hi, my friend i just got my DEPO's from Ebay with HID's and I am very happy with them. I got the wrong LED's for the angel eyes but just order the same ones u have, the ones that I install have just 1 LED in front and now I have 4 HOT spots on the angel eyes. Here is the ones that I got from Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEPO-08-11-B...item2320145681 they have the HID ERROR canceling module & they work super, just have to spend some time to level the progectors, other tnan that it was 100% Plug & Play. Any question u can contact me.
Attached Images

Last edited by jaybepr; 08-09-2012 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #307
DanielC4
Rep

Thanks jaybepr, I just ordered the same ones as you but with 4300K bulbs.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 10:59 PM   #308
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

so sadly my 128 came with halogen's as well and i'm dying to get mine angel eye'd, the factory xenon route is stupid expensive, so what would i need all together to get mine swapped to angel eye's without changing all the wiring etc? I'm clueless when it comes to this and it's my first bmw. i've been reading through but am slowly realizing i know nothing about headlights
Appreciate 0