BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-18-2016, 09:33 PM   #23
Mr Rooty Von Tooty
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i M-Sport

Damn that Mobil company is a sneaky one. On jugs 6 through 11, I didn't think to look if BMW was still on the label. I kind of doubt the oil inside the jugs changed, and my One certainly didn't change. So the question is what changed?

I personally don't believe that one synthetic oil is better than another. I've never heard of an engine failing due to the fault of a motor oil assuming it was the right weight and kind, that is a synthetic.

I have to laugh when I hear people claim that one oil is better than another. Some claim they hear strange noises, or the oil creates accelerated wear. Most likely a heavy foot on the throttle was the real culprit.

Anyway, enough BS about oil!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 09:48 PM   #24
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNS View Post
I've heard too many bad things about M1 0W-40 from the guys who rebuild Porsche engines to swear me off of it. Mobil does put out some other fine oil products, however.

Been using Motul in the 128i and Rotella T6 in the E46. Mobil V-Twin 20W-50 in the 993.
Are the Porsche failures ZDDP related? I think the BMW motor is designed so that it doesn't need ZDDP. Im not worried about the new bottles of Mobil 1 not being BMW certified. Plenty of people put quick change lube in their BMWs without any problems, and Mobil 1 is probably better than the stuff the quick change places use.

I put conventional Valvoline racing in my 944 because of the high ZDDP content.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 06:54 AM   #25
KNS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128i and Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommm View Post
Are the Porsche failures ZDDP related?
The ZDDP requirement is more for the older cars, although contemporary oils could probably use a little bit more of it.

The guys rebuilding engines for 996 and 997.1s have a pretty low regard for M1 0W-40. Check out some of the threads on Rennlist, though you'll find plenty of fans of M1 there as well (like any oil thread on any forum).
Appreciate 0