BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-11-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
Speed Cat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Results from bmw regarding check engine light..

Im starting a new thread for this.. Cont from " engine light on"

Here is what the BMW tech wrote as the cause, and correction

Problem.. Check engine light on , engine has lost a lot of power.

Correction: DSC has temporarly reduced engine output to avoid overheating brakes. Engine power has since been restored. This is a normal function if vehicle is driven under heavy strain. DME faults also accured in tank vent system. Preformed DMTL test plan, test plan has indicated that DMTL pump will need to be replaced. Replaced pump system working properly..

I have two questions..

What is a DMTL pump and what does it do??

Could this work preformed have requried them to reflash ecu, thus deleting my Dinan S2 ... Cause it almost feels stock fast now.. So hard to tell after driving a ford flex rental all week , everything feels good after that.. Hehe

please give me all your comments and feed back.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
SD135i
aka Trevorsd
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i AT

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Interesting problem.

Yesterday I moved from San Diego to Las Vegas and after the drive over I got a "Service Engine Soon" light. My car has approximately 6k miles on it.

I used my BT Scanner to check the code out:

2B29:
2B29 DMTL, system error
Error will cause a warning light
Error is currently present
Test conditions have been completed

I went ahead and cleared the code. The light went out, but as I thought might happen, both returned.

Thanks for sharing your situation, it gives me some ideas on what's up with my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 07:41 PM   #3
SD135i
aka Trevorsd
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Here's what I've found.

The DMTL (Detection Module Tank Leak) pump pressurizes the fuel tank to check for any leaks. If the pump fails it will create either an SES or CEL. Though the pump failing is not uncommon, more frequently the problem is forgetting to put the gas cap back on.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Cat View Post
Im starting a new thread for this.. Cont from " engine light on"

Here is what the BMW tech wrote as the cause, and correction

Problem.. Check engine light on , engine has lost a lot of power.

Correction: DSC has temporarly reduced engine output to avoid overheating brakes. Engine power has since been restored. This is a normal function if vehicle is driven under heavy strain. DME faults also accured in tank vent system. Preformed DMTL test plan, test plan has indicated that DMTL pump will need to be replaced. Replaced pump system working properly..

I have two questions..

What is a DMTL pump and what does it do??

Could this work preformed have requried them to reflash ecu, thus deleting my Dinan S2 ... Cause it almost feels stock fast now.. So hard to tell after driving a ford flex rental all week , everything feels good after that.. Hehe

please give me all your comments and feed back.
Sounds like it might be the charcoal canister and valve used to hold any fuel/vapor. When the engine is restarted the valve allows the "caught" fuel to go back into the fuel system.
But, I'm not positive as I don't know what "DMTL" stands for.
Given the description though, that could be it.

Is there no way to check whether your software is there or not?
Do you have a method by which to select a different program or profile for your software? APR software, used a lot in Audi turbo's, use the cruise control controls to select between programs, and there is a visual cue using a couple of the dash symbols to verify which program you are on.
If the software gets erases due to an OEM update, those visual cues no longer exist, and you have to get the software reflashed.
Does you Dinan software have anything like that?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 02:07 PM   #5
mad chemist
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

SD135i,

Just wondered if the DMTL pump could have been on it's way out in San Diego, but was made worse my the increase in altitude in Vegas (70 ft vs ~ 2000 ft). The change in altitude may be having an effect??

Mad.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Engine has reduced power to avoid overheating brakes? That sounds like complete BS to me. If this thing went into limp mode because of hot brakes the track guys would be seeing it constantly.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 03:41 PM   #7
arrutled
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Olsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Engine has reduced power to avoid overheating brakes? That sounds like complete BS to me. If this thing went into limp mode because of hot brakes the track guys would be seeing it constantly.
It says DSC avoided the overheating. Track guys turn off DSC and therefore would not see it on the track.

AW 135i w/ blackette, performance short shift kit, BMW alarm, Performance rotors, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Direzza Star Spec 235/275, Dinan stage 3 suspension, M3 wishbones/tension rods/front sway/rear subframe bushings and thats all folks!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 03:48 PM   #8
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrutled View Post
It says DSC avoided the overheating. Track guys turn off DSC and therefore would not see it on the track.

Possible I guess.

What could he have been doing that cause the DSC to think it was overheating the brakes though?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 09:34 PM   #9
1erich
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

Track days.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 01:28 AM   #10
SD135i
aka Trevorsd
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad chemist View Post
SD135i,

Just wondered if the DMTL pump could have been on it's way out in San Diego, but was made worse my the increase in altitude in Vegas (70 ft vs ~ 2000 ft). The change in altitude may be having an effect??

Mad.
Mad,

I think you're probably correct. I was hoping that a new gas cap would fix the problem... but the code returned. It probably is the pump.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 01:48 AM   #11
Speed Cat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1erich View Post
Track days.

YEs it was TRACK days... I was running with it on... ANd i was running it Hard.... Very hard..!!

Funny thing was it was like 10 days from when i was last on the track...That the engine light went on...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #12
fusion01
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Ford Focus ST: 2.5l /5 cyl

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Possible I guess.

What could he have been doing that cause the DSC to think it was overheating the brakes though?
Owned my 135i for a couple of months and a while back same story as this - complete loss of power (thought it coil packs as it was so severe except minus the shuddering) from a few WOT's - only about 4 or so from a semi-cold engine - then a short drive and bam! No CEL though, funnily enough. Dealer said 'DSC had cut power to save a possible overheating of brakes'. Which seemed to be far too fussy and 'nannying' to me as these are 6 pots and I'd done nothing close to anything on a track day. Today I got a CEL which went away after a restart, possibly due to the stage 1 software, just from throwing it hard into a corner. Previous GTI never made a fuss in 4.5 yrs + (but then never was modded). Seems I'll have to endure many of these in my beemer! Now looking into a CAN tool from BMS - going to have to get a little technical it seems
135i M-Sport: 240kw & 480nm ATW / 6MT / AW / SR / HK Logic 7 / iDrive / Lumbar Support & Seat Heating / BMW Perf Exhaust, Side Skirts, Grilles, Rotors & Gear Knob / CF Mirrors & Boot Spoiler / gunmetal CSL Reps
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #13
livingboosted
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw 135i

I work at a bmw dealer and the most common issue related to this code is people forgetting to fully tighten their gas cap. I make a lot of money of those people!

as for your dinan tune, check your work order and see if any other work was performed. a dmtl pump doesnt require programming. if the battery recall was done while it was in there
maybe? that requires programming. if that was the only service completed though the software on your DME should still be the same.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 07:40 PM   #14
ray-ray89
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red 2009 135i

I have the same problem but there's nothing wrong with my dmtl pump how do I reset ces light?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 07:22 PM   #15
lambo352
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi

Thank you for this post.. I searched all over to see if I'm the only one with the symptoms of bad dmtl pump.. on cold start, the car runs strong and perfect.. then lost of power and rough idle.. then the check engine light for dmtl fault 2A12, 2A13 & 2A18.. then power mostly restored after driving but error remains and mild misfire.. I lost 3 coil packs ignoring the problem.. I know some models have a fuse, I don't see it under the hood like most forums mentioned ����*♂️
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 01:21 PM   #16
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Well I've owned my 08 128 for 11½ years now. Been on our track about 7 or 8 times. Hitting 175kph [110 mph] on the back straight and then immediate hard braking. DSC on. Never had any kind of braking problem. OE BMW pads firstly then Cool Carbon last 4/5 years.
Appreciate 0