BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-31-2008, 12:37 AM   #1
sluday
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Anyone consider a VW Eos before getting a 128 vert?

I was wondering if anyone considered getting a VW Eos ( either 2.0t or V6) before getting a 128 vert. Or what other small convertibles did you shop before buying. I really like the hardtop look of the Eos but BMW brand makes me feel like a safer choice. I live in the north east coast so I would only get about 5 months of top down weather. Also this car would be my daily driver and I have seen what ragtops look like after getting blasted with salt and sand on the roads from driving in the snow months and it's not pretty.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 06:06 AM   #2
M2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

I currently have an EOS 2.0T and its a great car for the price. (But I ordered a 135i coupe and am waiting delivery) I've had the EOS for a year now and its a great around town and highway cruiser but the car feels heavy and unbalanced in turns. BMW's 128 is a better choice for driving; Weight dist and handling. The EOS is a good car for what it cost and the sunroof inside the hardtop convertible is huge. I guess it just matters what you are looking for.

One more thing, the gas milage in the EOS has been great. That's one thing I think I will miss when I get the 135i.........Who am I kidding, no I wont.
      05-31-2008, 06:14 AM   #3
Kiety
The ONE
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Cabriolet

I looked at the Eos long and hard before settling on the 335i cabrio, but then the 135i came along and I'm now a month away from delivery (or sooner if I'm lucky)

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 10:33 PM   #4
3toM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i EB Msport

I have actually been thinking about one, as an option to a 1 series if I decide to go with a vert. I took a look at one at a dealership (didn't drive it though - had my 3 year old with me). Liked the looks of it, but the trunk is VERY small. Don't think I could even fit a set of golf clubs in there due to the necessities for the hardtop.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #5
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible (AW/CR)

Before choosing the 128i vert, I drove:
BMW 328 vert
Audi A4 vert
VW EOS
Saab 9-3 vert
Pontiac G6 vert
(and I feel like there was one more, but I can't remember it).

The VW was neat because it had a sun roof in the hard top, so you could be closed, half-open, or all open. Basically that whole first panel is glass, so even if the top is up, you get a lot of light in the car.

However, I drove on some bumpy roads and the top clattered a lot. The iPod interface angered me (violently so, I still have a bitter taste in my mouth at how bad it was - bring one with you and try it). And I couldn't fit my roll-aboard suitcase in the trunk with the top down (and it's not the salesman's place to tell me that I'd never try to get at my suitcase when the top is down - bastard, I did that at least 3 times on my road trip this weekend).

Further, to make it comparable to the BMW, I had to have the most loaded version, and there were still some options that BMW did better.

amy!
Appreciate 0