BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-16-2008, 04:28 PM   #67
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Have a great drive today guys..:roundel:

I am heading off on a 3 hour drive today down the South coast with a friend of mine who just picked up his R32..

20 deg and cloudless in Sydney today....mmmmmmmmm

Drive safe guys..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 07:26 PM   #68
smarm
Worsier then Tupac dying.
Rep
Drives:

Cheers Zuzu, enjoy your drive

13 degrees and there might be some light moisture on the roads

http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/ID...ange=true#skip

Quote:
If you write 'Wash Me' on my car, I'll carve 'Resuscitate Me' into your chest
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 08:19 PM   #69
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Lucky you, turbo-chargers work better in those conditions

I trust there will be photo's to share? (and for ppl like me waiting for delivery to drool over)
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 03:30 AM   #70
xa-coupe
Wannabe
Rep
Drives:

6.30 and not a picture in sight, I am disappointed !
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 03:36 AM   #71
professor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

yeah, how was the drive guys? i'm sorry i had to miss it, but i hope you had fun blasting up and down the road.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 03:50 AM   #72
smarm
Rep
Drives:

Thanks to everyone for today, I had a blast. Don't know how we missed that bloody Warburton turnoff and ending up in the gravel. My bad.

Got away lateish, but it was great fun, it had the lot, great roads, great cars, even some snow. The reefton run was fantastic, giving everyone a chance to run at their own pace. VBM125 surprised a few guys on the cruise I think with its speed. Was great to see Waynes beast run in it's natural environment.

Think I'll invest in a go-pro. Corey, got a link to the wholesaler? Can't wait to see the footage.

Anyone feel like organising a run for late october?

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 05:20 AM   #73
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Is there where I make a crack about the Nav system being worthwhile? j/k
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 06:14 AM   #74
Bim135AUS
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135I

Yeh, it was great to test out the beasts! They are truly amazing cars and Wayne, you are a truly mad individual!! Geat fun to have you there.

Hope to splice together the movies we took in the next few days and post them up

I am very, very impressed with the active processor- not that I really could use its power today in the wet but it obviously has great pulling power. And I enjoyed driving just at the adhesion limit of the car, given Susan was with me!

All I can say is that the understeer at 7/10ths is almost non-existent. Would love to try a little faster, but not in the wet.

Must do it again in October in the dry

Good one, guys!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 06:23 AM   #75
smarm
Rep
Drives:

Don't talk to me about understeer John..... even with the bloody magnetic suspension fandangle.....

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 07:03 AM   #76
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

C'mon guys!

It's been what, at least a cople of hours since you got home... hurry up!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 08:00 AM   #77
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

I really enjoyed it today guys. Was having too much fun out when I was out on my own lol. Don't worry John, I was driving well within my limit. I don't know why you guys are surprised about the 125i. That car is only 1 sec slower than the 135i to 100kmh, and in twisty wet roads like these where power isn't a big advantage, the 125i was always going to be fast. On the last section before we stopped where it is mainly downhill and very tight, I reckon the 125i may even have an advantage in that it is less front heavy than the 135i. I slowed down to about 80% in the last few k's (I felt I was pushing a tad too hard with Bonnie in my car) and soon had Corey in my rearview mirrors. I watched his car in a few of the corners where I could as we went through the last few km's and he was able to apply the throttle much better than I could in these sort of conditions. I reckon it's because the car has less torque and the car also looked really smooth through the change of directions. So for anyone who can't stretch to a 135i, just buy the 125i! It's very very good!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 08:03 AM   #78
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarm View Post
Don't talk to me about understeer John..... even with the bloody magnetic suspension fandangle.....
I reckon the 135i understeers much more than my GTI (hence probably your TT). The tyres didn't have a lot of grip in the wet and almost icy conditions. I had to left foot brake in a lot of corners to help balance the weight better.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 04:49 PM   #79
hummel
catching up...
Rep
Drives: M135i

Adam in the Polo Gti here, what a teriffic day out!

Really great bunch of people and had a really good run with all of you. My car didn't go too bad throug the corners but really suffered on the straights.

Thanks for all the organisation and all that, would love to come on the next one!:thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 12:31 AM   #80
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i (March delivery)

Wow! What a day! I still feel like I'm being forced into the back of my chair... at work!

The 125i is no slouch! I look forward to getting her out there on a dry day.

Wayne, it's already been said, but yes, you're a nutter! Next time I want to sit in the passenger seat with you for a while.. and no holding back!

Unfortunately there are only a couple of decent photos as I'd given my camera to my mate who isn't familiar with how to use an SLR, especially when he's hanging on for dear life! Taking photos was probably the last thing on his mind!

As far as video goes, I'll upload a couple tonight. The audio on the GoPro camera is shocking, in and out of the car, so I've had to add a soundtrack. I'm not overly happy with the quality of video on the GoPro either. Resolution is poor, and when the camera was outside of the car, the picture was completely washed out as there is no way to alter the exposure levels. Don't bother purchasing one.
      08-18-2008, 12:43 AM   #81
xa-coupe
Wannabe
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozza View Post
As far as video goes, I'll upload a couple tonight. The audio on the GoPro camera is shocking, in and out of the car, so I've had to add a soundtrack. I'm not overly happy with the quality of video on the GoPro either. Resolution is poor, and when the camera was outside of the car, the picture was completely washed out as there is no way to alter the exposure levels. Don't bother purchasing one.
It's always good to have someone try out something before I consider buying one ! I will stay with my old DV camera and the new mount.

Anyway, someone must have some pics to show for the day other than cozza ?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 12:58 AM   #82
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i (March delivery)

PS: Thanks for the stone chips, Wayne :wink:

They add character! I guess it's my own fault for tailing you so closely!
      08-18-2008, 01:13 AM   #83
smarm
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozza View Post
Resolution is poor, and when the camera was outside of the car, the picture was completely washed out as there is no way to alter the exposure levels. Don't bother purchasing one.
Sure that's just not my spoiler popping up into camera's field of vision?! :thumbup:

Thanks for the "real life" test. Sorry to hear it failed. A few others from a couple of forums have had good results.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 01:28 AM   #84
hummel
catching up...
Rep
Drives: M135i

Shame that you weren't too happy with the results Corey, but still be good to see the footage.

Bonnie thought it was just an audio recorder, once I told her she warned me that the conversation between Wayne and herself would be rather boring. Glad to hear your putting a soundtrack to it in that case
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 02:00 AM   #85
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
yeh good drive guys... lol even though i was about 5 kays behind and going about half the speed... must definitely be the sprint booster!... haha
my gf took a few photos with my camera, but i stupidly left my camera back in melb so wont be able to see if theres any worth putting up till the w/e
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 02:09 AM   #86
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummel View Post
Shame that you weren't too happy with the results Corey, but still be good to see the footage.

Bonnie thought it was just an audio recorder, once I told her she warned me that the conversation between Wayne and herself would be rather boring. Glad to hear your putting a soundtrack to it in that case
Tell Bonnie that I rather enjoyed the conversation actually. I've got a big interest in classical music but I don't know much about it and about the courses so I was just asking her all about that. I also found it very interesting how much speech is related to singing. I told her to sing some classical tunes for the camera but she was too shy. She's a lovely girl Adam. Well done mate. :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 02:11 AM   #87
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksgoh View Post
yeh good drive guys... lol even though i was about 5 kays behind and going about half the speed... must definitely be the sprint booster!... haha
my gf took a few photos with my camera, but i stupidly left my camera back in melb so wont be able to see if theres any worth putting up till the w/e
Haha I don't have sprint booster on my car anymore either! My wife is trying to learn manual and she couldn't drive with the sprintbooster as it made the throttle too sensitive.

All I want to know is, who was slower. You or Jamil in the R32? :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 02:21 AM   #88
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Haha I don't have sprint booster on my car anymore either! My wife is trying to learn manual and she couldn't drive with the sprintbooster as it made the throttle too sensitive.

All I want to know is, who was slower. You or Jamil in the R32? :biggrin:
haha good question... well lets just say he was always in my sights... if barely lol... is there a wooden spoon prize for the slowest???
Appreciate 0