BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-19-2010, 04:45 AM   #1
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Question Anyone know a good place to get paint protection Film in Brissy?

I was thinking about getting this for the new car to protect vs stone chips etc. Has anyone got it in Brisbane and who installed it?

Has anyone got it from the BMW dealer themselves? Or do they simply outsource it anyway & have a joyride in your car to the installer at the same time?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Alext am I right in seeing you bought a Z4is? Congratulations if it's true

PM Chappy or TimMc, I think one of those guys have had it done. There's a place at Brendale that does it but I can't recall the name.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 07:18 PM   #3
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Whatever you do, don't go to Motor One in Newstead for Paint or Leather Protection.

Bruce Lynton BMW used to outsource all their cars to Motor One (by purchasing and installing their product in-house) until recently due to a falling out between the two parties. My paint protection was faulty and Motor One denied any coverage so BMW had to fork out the cost of repairs to keep me happy.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 09:33 PM   #4
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Try Dijon. He came around to my work & installed mine. Nice guy, but failed to come back to fix up the small issues I had as promised.
dijon@theracingroom.com.au
traction@TheRacingRoom.com.au
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 10:29 PM   #5
CeeJay
Private
Rep
Drives:

^^^^^^
Another for Dijon at The Racing Room.
Not cheap, but neither are repeated resprays either though. Had done over 2 years ago with no issues.
I do most of the company cars as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 01:40 AM   #6
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Mattyv: Thank you, yes I did order one

Thanks for the advice guys. Any idea how long it takes for an installation of the front bumper?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 01:47 AM   #7
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Took about 3 hours for my; bumper, bonnet, guards, mirrors etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 04:28 PM   #8
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Well a month ago I got Ventureshield film installed on my car by Dijon at Fast Mustard in Brisbane. He was very accommodating to my needs but...

The job wasn't as good as I had hoped. And certainly not as good as some of the members from the USA have gotten theirs. This was especially dissapointing as I thought I was getting one of the best and most reputable installers around and I paid an absolute premium (over $1500!).

For starters the film is very noticeable on certain areas of my car. I had 1/3 of the bonnet done and removed it as soon as I got home as 1. It was lifting from under the bonnet where it was not stuck down properly and 2. The line across the bonnet was TOO obvious - I have a pic take about 5m away that clearly shows it! and 3. The finish was no where near as nice as the original paint - it had several long vertical scratches and made the paint look a different shade of black!

I removed the film on the bonnet without issue.

The front bumper film had very obvious issues - textured areas and marks where the film looked to be overstretched. These were pointed out to Dijon at the time but he confidently stated they would dissappear in the sun. This hasnt been the case. Some bubbling has appeared too. I found more bits that lifted under the guards with dirt trapped underneath so I took a surgical scalpel and cut those out neatly. It's actually quite easy to do without damaging the paint.

The rest of the vehicle was done well, so to me these are issues that shouldnt have occured in the first place.

I sent an email requesting a part refund since I'm not going to be travelling a 1200km round trip to Brisbane to get it fixed - no reply as of yet. Never EVER had to ask for a refund for anything to do with any of my cars BTW - so I felt terrible.

I'll let you guys know if he comes forth with a refund!

Last edited by Alext; 12-23-2010 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 05:27 PM   #9
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Do you have any photos to share? If it were me I would have tried to resist touching it but seeing as you live so far away I can understand that you might have had a stab at fixing it.

Also, $1500? That's by no means a cheap job! I would rather happily pay $1000 to have my front bumper resprayed in a few years time, which would still look better than film to me. That is too much if you ask me...

Do you also happen to know which type of film he used? I hope it gets resolved for you and you get a refund.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 05:29 PM   #10
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
Well a month ago I got Ventureshield film installed on my car by Dijon at Fast Mustard in Brisbane. He was very accommodating to my needs but...

The job wasn't as good as I had hoped. And certainly not as good as some of the members from the USA have gotten theirs. This was especially dissapointing as I thought I was getting one of the best and most reputable installers around and I paid an absolute premium (over $1500!).

For starters the film is very noticeable on certain areas of my car. I had 1/3 of the bonnet done and removed it as soon as I got home as 1. It was lifting from under the bonnet where it was not stuck down properly and 2. The line across the bonnet was TOO obvious - I have a pic take about 5m away that clearly shows it! and 3. The finish was no where near as nice as the original paint - it had several long vertical scratches and made the paint look a different shade of black!

I removed the film on the bonnet without issue.

The front bumper film had very obvious issues - textured areas and marks where the film looked to be overstretched. These were pointed out to Dijon at the time but he confidently stated they would dissappear in the sun. This hasnt been the case. Some bubbling has appeared too. I found more bits that lifted under the guards with dirt trapped underneath so I took a surgical scalpel and cut those out neatly. It's actually quite easy to do without damaging the paint.

The rest of the vehicle was done well, so to me these are issues that shouldnt have occured in the first place.

I sent an email requesting a part refund since I'm not going to be travelling a 1200km round trip to Brisbane to get it fixed - no reply as of yet. Never EVER had to ask for a refund for anything to do with any of my cars BTW - so felt terrible.

I'll let you guys know if he comes forth with a refund!
Unfortunately for you, one of the better companies is situated in Sydney..

www.ozicozi.com.au

Have seen their work first hand and it is exceptional.
They quoted me for the 135i, Full front bumper/ 1/3 of the bonnet / Wheel arches / and top of rear bumper near boot lid.. $695..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 06:10 PM   #11
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Yeah I would have loved to have used Ozi Cozi as people rave about them but they didnt have an installer in Brisbane.

The PPF used was Ventureshield apparently. I removed the bonnet one and it looked quite thick - like a raincoat! The stuff used on the rear looks a lot thinner (and MILES better) but he reckons the same thickness was used all round.

Oh well you live and you learn!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 08:35 PM   #12
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

I used the same guy Alex - for about half your cost. Only got front bumper, bonnet, mirrors and behind each wheel done. Not bad, but no after sales service as promised. I ended up with a few bubbles on the front bumper that are still there. Bonnet film looks ok on the blue and many don't notice it. Reasonably happy...
      12-29-2010, 10:52 PM   #13
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Well no reply to my email so far. Giving the benefit of the doubt since it is holiday season. Then again I just emailed a jeweller in the USA to have some jewellery made and they got straight back to me. Same speedy service with a hotel in HK. Wish more Australian retailers/companies were as prompt.

Standard pricing is on his website so looks like he gave you an awesome deal Tim.
Appreciate 0