BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-18-2012, 01:49 AM   #1
MrBimmer
Rated M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Catless motoringmotoring

Ok so I have a stock 08 135i. I want to change that this year but I am so lost as to what to do when it comes to getting catless downpipes.

By now, I'm sure plenty of you guys have catless setups. I'd like to hear how some of you are getting around the legal barrier in terms of inspection and what not.

Should I just get catted downpipes ?
I would but I feel like that defeats the purpose of change anything under there in the first place.

The last thing I want to mention is that I was researching and looking into a lot of maddad videos. Those exhaust seem to sound as if the catalytic converters are untouched which is the sales pitch. It sounds good from the videos I've watched but I'd like to hear from someone about how they feel about the system.
      02-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
MrBimmer
Rated M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Wow?! No one is willing to chat or share any advice/useful tips?
      02-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
tcd223
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 LeMans 135i

Garage List
2010 135i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBimmer View Post
Wow?! No one is willing to chat or share any advice/useful tips?
my advice is to go post in the engines/exhaust/drivetrain forum.

E82 Gone. 2013 JKUR on order
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
bigEC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White 135i

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Im running CP-E catless downpipes, gutted OEM midpipes, and BMW Performance muffler...my set up sounds awesome. but usually most bmw guys consider it "too loud"...for me its not because coming from a straight piped evo this is nothing haha if you're looking for a quiet exhaust i hear maddad is the way to go... another route you could take is to keep your exhaust stock and just get catless downpipes that way you will get a little louder, but nothing crazy and you will still get performance gains. hope this helped
AUTOcouture Motoring| 15-01 Pollitt Drive #6 | Fair Lawn, NJ 07410 | P: 201.666.3500 | ACMallday@gmail.com
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
Blackonblack135i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I have cp-e catless downpipes, berk midpipes and berk race axle back, so basically straight pipes from the turbo back. It's extremely loud on cold starts, but gets quieter as it warms up. On the highway it's loud and on wot it's very loud, but it sounds amazing. I get complements all the time. I'm posting a cold start video tomorrow on another post and I can post it here too if you want to hear it. As far as the legal stuff, I don't know what state you live in, but I'm in ny and there are extremely strict. As long as I don't have a check engine light on, there's a jiffy lube or valvoline with some 18 year old kid who will pass it without a cat. Noise wise, I don't think anyone cares.
Appreciate 0