E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > A Scratch! AHHHHH!

06-09-2006, 11:24 AM   #23
Silver bullet
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus
Can you post a picture of the scratch? I'm just interested; you would be surprised what can be taken out without a repaint. Cheers.
Picus, Just went to your web site... excelant:rocks: Only one thing, I didn't see a picture of your BMW
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2006, 11:45 AM   #24
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNSnOLIVZ
Lesson #2: No matter what you do, park far, or stay away from other cars, they're BOUND to scratch or hit you with something! Trust me, I'm soooo careful with my new car it's unbelievable but you can't help it sometimes!
That's why when I get a new car, I immediately put a scratch somewhere so that the next inconsiderate person won't be the first one to damage my baby.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2006, 12:03 PM   #25
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Quote:
Yeah I'll see if I can do it tonight. It's a little one but to me, it's big.
I totally understand. I'm pretty crazy with my cars too. If it's not through the clear odds are you can get rid of it yourself. Even if it is you can still DIY, but it's more involved. Depends on how much of a DIY'er you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver bullet
Picus, Just went to your web site... excelant:rocks: Only one thing, I didn't see a picture of your BMW
Thanks! There aren't any pictures of the current 330xi on the site because honestly it's not super exciting to photograph in terms of paint (it's silver); plus it's my wifes car so I have to admit the paint could be in better shape. When I sell my G35 and get our next BMW you can be sure there will be lots of pictures of it on the site!

Ah, found one:

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2006, 12:41 PM   #26
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Airports are usually bad news. People are always out of it when they get back to their cars and forget about watching out for other peoples cars and what not. I stay away and get dropped off.
      06-09-2006, 03:35 PM   #27
ShiraiwaRiku
Baby Driver
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

people open their door wouldnt care about the car beside them

just because of the angle that opens wont damage their car
Alpine White | Navigation | Premium | Osram HID 6000K Headlight, Foglight | LED Blackline | M-Tech Steering Wheel, Rear Bumper | AC Schnitzer Pedals, E-Brake, Decklid, Rooftop, Front Spoiler, Side Skirt, Racing Spring | Tint 35/50 | DRL Disabled | Carbon Fiber Grill, Emblem | MTec 2.1 Halos | LED Interior Xenon | Painted Red Calipers | JleviSW LED Signals & Licence Plate Kit | Voltage Stabilizer | GruppeM Intake | Remus PowerSound Quad Exhaust | MorrVS8 with Bridegestone RE960
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2006, 04:22 PM   #28
Dawg Nuts
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335 E90

Garage List
2007 E90 335  [0.00]
2004 X5  [0.00]
People have no respect for other people's property...that's why I try to park as far away and in the end spot as possible.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2006, 10:15 AM   #29
GUNSnOLIVZ
Sgt. Ah Sum
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Here are 2 pics .... as you can see there are 2 little silver scratches thanks to the silver 5-series that was next to mine. On the backdoor of the driver side ... there are a few waterdrops so please don't mind, just need to wash the car tomorrow.

Not too bad but when looking at my sideview mirror and see a little ding with the scratches, it kinda hurts. :-(
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2006, 10:53 AM   #30
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Can you feel it with your finger? If so, does it feel like it's in the paint, or something on the paint? I ask because in my experience it almost definitely looks like a paint transfer + scuff to me, in which case you should be able to remove it if not entirely, most of the way. If it does feel like a chip then I'd let a pro take care of it. However if it doesn't feel like anything, or if it feels raised (as in, there is some paint transfered on to your paint), try this:

Go to pep boys, autozone, etc and grab a tube of Meguairs ScratchX and a foam/cotton applicator.

Clean the area well, then shake the tube and apply a dab about the size of a quarter to the applicator.

Rub the area with the mark, you're going to need to apply moderate pressure and move the applicator back and forth rather quickly. You're trying to create heat via friction. This will break down the abrasives in the ScratchX.

Wipe away with a mf/terry cloth and check the results. If it looks like you're making progress repeat the process until you stop making progress.

ScratchX is a very light polish, so it might take 4-5 passes before you stop noticing results and/or the mark is gone.

Alternatively if it isn't a chip and is a scuff/paint transfer a pro detailer should be able to remove that in literally seconds.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2006, 11:57 AM   #31
GUNSnOLIVZ
Sgt. Ah Sum
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by picus
Can you feel it with your finger? If so, does it feel like it's in the paint, or something on the paint? I ask because in my experience it almost definitely looks like a paint transfer + scuff to me, in which case you should be able to remove it if not entirely, most of the way. If it does feel like a chip then I'd let a pro take care of it. However if it doesn't feel like anything, or if it feels raised (as in, there is some paint transfered on to your paint), try this:

Go to pep boys, autozone, etc and grab a tube of Meguairs ScratchX and a foam/cotton applicator.

Clean the area well, then shake the tube and apply a dab about the size of a quarter to the applicator.

Rub the area with the mark, you're going to need to apply moderate pressure and move the applicator back and forth rather quickly. You're trying to create heat via friction. This will break down the abrasives in the ScratchX.

Wipe away with a mf/terry cloth and check the results. If it looks like you're making progress repeat the process until you stop making progress.

ScratchX is a very light polish, so it might take 4-5 passes before you stop noticing results and/or the mark is gone.

Alternatively if it isn't a chip and is a scuff/paint transfer a pro detailer should be able to remove that in literally seconds.

Good luck!
Thank you so much. I'm such a noob when it comes to these things. I can feel a scratch when touching it so I definitely think that some of the paint was chipped off.

I'll definitely pass by Pep Boys and get ScratchX. I'll also check it out with a pro detailer and see how much it is to fix something like this. Once again, thank you so much! :rocks:
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2006, 12:10 PM   #32
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Hmmm...does not look that terrible. But I still feel for you.

I probably would have left them a nice little mark in return.:finger:
      06-10-2006, 01:26 PM   #33
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thank you so much. I'm such a noob when it comes to these things. I can feel a scratch when touching it so I definitely think that some of the paint was chipped off.

I'll definitely pass by Pep Boys and get ScratchX. I'll also check it out with a pro detailer and see how much it is to fix something like this. Once again, thank you so much! :rocks:
No problem. If you feel up to it give the ScratchX a try anyway, just be careful not to expand the chip (it shouldn't be an issue). Often times scuffs from doors look a lot worse than they actually are. Check this guy out: his TL hit a highway barrier doing 60, looked terrible but 95% of it was removed with a good machine buffing http://****************/pics/05tl050906/ba2.html, so either way a good detailer should be able to take care of you with the properly matched touch up paint.

Appreciate 0