BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-31-2015, 10:42 AM   #1
NYHoustonman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Dinan S3

Question Intermittent wastegate rattle after 'spirited' drives

Hi all,

Twice this year so far, my N54 (Dinan stage 1 - very mild tune) has developed a very noticeable wastegate rattle under on lift off and under throttle. Accompanying this is a rough/garbled exhaust note.

The first time this happened was about a month ago. I went for a mountain drive and everything was fine. After parking the car for about an hour, I started it back up and the symptoms mentioned above showed themselves for the first time. After parking again and coming back an hour and a half or so later, the problem was gone. I calmed down and thought nothing of it.

This past Sunday, I went for another mountain drive and, under similar circumstances, the symptoms reappeared. They didn't go away this time until yesterday afternoon (coincidentally after an oil and brake fluid change).

I treat this car well, I think. I never ask much of it until it's warmed up, and I give it plenty of time to cool down via gentle driving each time I thrash it (once every two weeks or so). No codes have been thrown. I know there are a few possible causes for wastegate rattle, but as I understand it the rattle is usually present only after cold starts, or always present, etc. I haven't found anybody describing this mode of failure.

Does anyone have any ideas as to where to start troubleshooting?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 10:51 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

defective wastegates...
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 10:50 AM   #3
NYHoustonman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Dinan S3

I'm aware of the deficiency and know I'm covered till 8 years/82k miles, but I was hoping for some anecdotal evidence . The problem I have now is that the symptoms are completely gone - no wastegate rattle, no perceptible loss of power. When I bring the car in to BMW there's no guarantee that they'll find anything (or even agree to look at it without a code to guide them).
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 11:41 AM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Try this...

Appreciate 0