BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-21-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
CM
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe

Bringing in Wheels from the U.S.

Just wondering if any Canadians have had wheels shipped to a U.S. border warehouse and picked them up and brought them back to Canada? My question is, did you have to pay duty if the wheels were not made in the U.S.? I know you have to pay GST/HST and PST. With our CDN$ so good I was thinking of getting either Advan's or Volk's from the US>
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 11:48 PM   #2
Nitroxide
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

You have to pay duty if made outside north america and hst.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 12:02 AM   #3
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

they usually ask how much you are bringing....
you tell them, they ask for receipt, they tell you to go inside the building.
You go to one of their casher desk, and give them the receipt.
They tell you to pay whatever you owe....
I dont think they charge you duty... mostly just HST in my case.
My advice, dont lie at the border, you might get screwed up for your life just for couple hundred bux.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 08:24 PM   #4
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

I have done it a few times. They do not care where they are made. They are only concerned about the value of the wheels. They will charge the HST only and no duty. If you are bringing them thru NEXXUS then you have to fill out the box for made in USA or imported. I had to take my receipt from tirerack inside the office to pay and they didn't charge me anything but the tax.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbmw View Post
I have done it a few times. They do not care where they are made. They are only concerned about the value of the wheels. They will charge the HST only and no duty. If you are bringing them thru NEXXUS then you have to fill out the box for made in USA or imported. I had to take my receipt from tirerack inside the office to pay and they didn't charge me anything but the tax.
I always wondered, what's the requirements for coming thru Nexxus?
the lane always seems not busy.....
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 08:03 AM   #6
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Giulia QV

No issues, paid the HST and off I went
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #7
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90sexion View Post
I always wondered, what's the requirements for coming thru Nexxus?
the lane always seems not busy.....
You have to pay $50 and apply for the card. http://getnexus.com/

You will get fingerprinted and photographed by US Customs and Immigration.

You also have to report everything. If they catch you bringing across an undeclared chocolate bar, you lose the pass. Zero tolerance, no excuses no second chances.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 04:52 PM   #8
jrsharpebc
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i

I've brought stuff back via car, but Tire Rack's brokerage and shipping are fairly reasonable if you're buying new tires and/or wheels from them. You have to figure what your time and fuel is worth to drive across the border (Blaine / Bellingham / Pt Roberts?), then compare that to the cost of shipping FOB your front door. To me, the additional $80 is worth the time off from work. YMMV...

Nexus is great! Fairly simple to obtain, but Lester is right...zero tolerance for dishonesty. But worth it's cost 10-fold if you travel to the States
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsharpebc View Post
I've brought stuff back via car, but Tire Rack's brokerage and shipping are fairly reasonable if you're buying new tires and/or wheels from them. You have to figure what your time and fuel is worth to drive across the border (Blaine / Bellingham / Pt Roberts?), then compare that to the cost of shipping FOB your front door. To me, the additional $80 is worth the time off from work. YMMV...

Nexus is great! Fairly simple to obtain, but Lester is right...zero tolerance for dishonesty. But worth it's cost 10-fold if you travel to the States
I have usually bought from tirerack when they have had a free shipping in the US sale on. That makes it way worth the effort to drive down! I don't know if I have seen a free shipping to Canada with Tirerack...but I think I have seen it with Discounttiredirect.com. I live in White rock so it is a no brainer for me but it saved a significant amount of $$$.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 08:58 AM   #10
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

It is worth the drive down there if you are buying wheels, tires, other cars parts. Saves you A LOT of $$$. Just be honest and show them your invoice and pay the HST. If possible, print your own receipt because the American sometimes want to trouble you because they are dead bored at work. Also, make sure your seller have a printed invoice along with your packaging that will save your day.