BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-29-2008, 03:06 AM   #23
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, Xclass

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
I don't consider the FPV F6 as a sports car. More a family car that has been modified.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 02:40 PM   #24
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Coupe

Like the M3? And the 135i? They're all still "performance cars over $60k". Including the F6.
      12-02-2008, 05:49 PM   #25
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor View Post
by these value-biased yardsticks, in 2009 its going to be the gt-r
I concur !

Your onto a winner with that thought :wink:
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 05:53 PM   #26
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guran View Post
Like the M3? And the 135i? They're all still "performance cars over $60k". Including the F6.
Have you checked the most recent pricing for the F6 or even the normal XR6T and HSV's and SS's etc. because of the current economic climate and the troubles those manufacturers are having, the prices are alot lower than that !!!

You can now get an SS for low 30k's on road :eyebulge: a GTS for around 60k and an XR6T for well under 40k....performance vehicle bargains !!! ie: if you happy with the large size sedans that they are...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 06:59 PM   #27
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Client of mine has an XR6T sedan and I have to say while it's not my choice of weapon it certainly is a good performance car for it's price and he certainly knows how to muscle it through the twisty's just outside of town.

Still, I wouldn't trade Wolfgang in for anything of course
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 07:23 PM   #28
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guran View Post
Not sure why the FPV F6 wasn't considered for this category? It's new, it's quicker than the 135i (in a straight line at least) and it costs a few grand less. On the other hand, it's big, heavy and the brakes suck ... but that would have all come out in the judging process.
Two doors too many?

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 08:01 PM   #29
lacerdaschoon
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

I would be happy to own any one of those cars, the M3 is simply amazing, so hot and has alot going for it, but the 135 is by far the best car for its price.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 08:49 PM   #30
aedeau
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: VE Clubsport R8 LS3 6.2Ltr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Have you checked the most recent pricing for the F6 or even the normal XR6T and HSV's and SS's etc. because of the current economic climate and the troubles those manufacturers are having, the prices are alot lower than that !!!

You can now get an SS for low 30k's on road :eyebulge: a GTS for around 60k and an XR6T for well under 40k....performance vehicle bargains !!! ie: if you happy with the large size sedans that they are...
Yeh LS3 clubsports brand new are 53k driveaway. I think i might trade in the 120d :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2008, 02:06 AM   #31
cam2801
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 09 135i M Sport Space Grey

Garage List
While the prices for the performance versions of the aussie sedans have dropped in price and the current generation are the best produced in this country they still have a problem .... the laws of physics..

They are big and they are heavy and despite the improvements in handling over years gone by they still pay a penalty for it... while I'll happily catch a bus to work I'd rather not drive one.... so its still the 135 for me
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2008, 03:19 AM   #32
aedeau
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

ok, a little off topic, but my key got stuck in the car today, called up roadside assist and they said they'll send somebody out. The guy calls me up and gets me to check if the car is in park... and guess what? it was in neutral!!! haha woops... feel like the biggest idiot! but the funny thing is that the guy said it happens all the time lol
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2008, 04:10 AM   #33
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedeau View Post
ok, a little off topic, but my key got stuck in the car today, called up roadside assist and they said they'll send somebody out. The guy calls me up and gets me to check if the car is in park... and guess what? it was in neutral!!! haha woops... feel like the biggest idiot! but the funny thing is that the guy said it happens all the time lol
LOL at least your using the road side assist service (which you've more than paid for in the premium price tag of the car) and getting BMW to work a bit for their money... :smile:
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2008, 04:35 AM   #34
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
"How Embarassement".....:biggrin:

Thank god I have CA, and 6MT..:wink:
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2008, 02:32 PM   #35
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Coupe

Quote:

I hear what you're saying. But these sorts of comparisons can only be made in terms of the list price and the last time I checked the F6 was $66k. Sure you might get one for much less now but you'd also need to add $10k+ to the 135i list price for driveaway pricing. It makes the F6 even more attractive ... not from a personal judgement (perfectly happy with my 135i thanks!) ... But more from the DCOTY assessment criteria.
      12-03-2008, 02:58 PM   #36
aedeau
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

for me, I'm seriously thinking about either a hsv maloo or clubsport given how heavily discounted they are atm. With the money saved, first thing i'll do it get new springs, exhaust, AI, ECU tune and later spend on some cam work. mmmm... lumpy I like to think of it as a modern day muscle car rather than sports car
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2008, 04:19 PM   #37
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
for me, I'm seriously thinking about either a hsv maloo or clubsport given how heavily discounted they are atm. With the money saved, first thing i'll do it get new springs, exhaust, AI, ECU tune and later spend on some cam work. mmmm... lumpy I like to think of it as a modern day muscle car rather than sports car
You're not concerned about the build quality problems that have plagued GM/Holden for the past few years (some might argue decades)?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 02:23 AM   #38
aedeau
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
You're not concerned about the build quality problems that have plagued GM/Holden for the past few years (some might argue decades)?
I am... but i think I've come to expect pretty shoddy build quality, so perhaps that's why I'm less concerned?:iono: However, in saying that I've never actually sat in a VE clubsport before, so maybe i'll change my mind after a test drive
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 03:12 AM   #39
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Cool man, either way if you get it I'd still be keen to check it out and do another Sunday drive with the Brisbane 1'ers
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 03:27 PM   #40
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I've owned many a Commodore models over the past decades, all have been very good and very reliable cars !!!

I owned a V8 1983 VH SL/E for 12 years it suffered no major problems what so ever...

I owned a 1999 VT series II HSV R8 for 5 years, again not a single fault and I can tell you for a fact the VE series is better built than any previous model, so you shouldn't have any hicups of a major type with them, unless your unlucky and cop a lemon - this does happen with all car types/brands...

In terms of build quality, I agree they are not as good as your typical Euro marks, not just the prestige brands but even the lesser ones like Opel are alot better, as you can easily tell from the many other types in the GMH range which are fully imported Opels, but for the price you pay for them (especially ATM) you couldn't possibly complain, they are an absolute bargain...:smile:
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 03:36 PM   #41
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I am... but i think I've come to expect pretty shoddy build quality, so perhaps that's why I'm less concerned?:iono: However, in saying that I've never actually sat in a VE clubsport before, so maybe i'll change my mind after a test drive
I've driven both the VE Clubbie and GTS - both are very impressive cars to drive !!!

Despite their massive size and weight, they handle extremely well and go extremely hard...in a straight line, they are very impressive and the brakes are truly spectacular, they can stop with the best of them :wink:

The interiors are a huge improvement over past models and the HSV variants are alot better than the bland lower/basic Holden Commodore models...these are the ones most people talk about, but the HSV's and even the SS are much better in this regard :smile:

The only point I have against them is that are too large a vehicle for me and my requirements, otherwise I would've already snapped one up...

Check them out for yourself, don't worry about peoples opinions who may only say what they think rather than having had any kind of direct experience with them :wink:

One thing you can be sure of as already mentioned, and ie: at the current pricing you can buy them for, they are an absolute top buy without a doubt...:smile:
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 04:44 PM   #42
Breville
Scum in the sun
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe TiAg

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
I've driven both the VE Clubbie and GTS - both are very impressive cars to drive !!!

Despite their massive size and weight, they handle extremely well and go extremely hard...in a straight line, they are very impressive and the brakes are truly spectacular, they can stop with the best of them :wink:

The interiors are a huge improvement over past models and the HSV variants are alot better than the bland lower/basic Holden Commodore models...these are the ones most people talk about, but the HSV's and even the SS are much better in this regard :smile:

The only point I have against them is that are too large a vehicle for me and my requirements, otherwise I would've already snapped one up...

Check them out for yourself, don't worry about peoples opinions who may only say what they think rather than having had any kind of direct experience with them :wink:

One thing you can be sure of as already mentioned, and ie: at the current pricing you can buy them for, they are an absolute top buy without a doubt...:smile:
Ditto the above. Having chased a couple of VE HSV's at EC last week I can testify to there braking abilities.

One should love animals. They are so tasty.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2008, 02:45 AM   #43
aedeau
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Cool man, either way if you get it I'd still be keen to check it out and do another Sunday drive with the Brisbane 1'ers
Hey Matt, guess what? I just bought a VE LS3 clubsport today :thumbup: should take delivery of it in a couple of weeks. I'm getting them to fit the walkinshaw lowering kit before they deliver the car, so maybe a bit longer, not sure.
A mini review of the car: WOW :eyebulge:after watching basically every video of a VE HSV clubsport out there on youtube, I thought the exhaust was too quiet. Well it is when you're driving at about 30kph or at idle, but just tap the accelerator and OMG the noise!!! LOVE IT!! and the power is instant, no lag, like i'm used to.

I'm going with a black, manual clubby with the stock 19"s which i may replace the rears with some 285 wide rubber once i've gone through the first set so yeh, def keen on another Nebo/Glorious run when i get it :biggrin::biggrin:
Appreciate 0