BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-21-2010, 12:29 AM   #1
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Must have's on a 135i

Ok so some of you might have seen me poking around here lately. I am very interested in a 1er. Here is my deal... I've been working with a CA who is trying to find me a 135i at the BMW Executive auctions. Basically what this is, if you are unfamiliar with it, is a demo car given out to BMW execs to be driven for a few months. The cars are never titled or any of that so when the time is up on the car, they auction them to BMW dealers who buy them and sell them at discounted prices. Now since I am leasing, this means I can get a discounted price on the car and since they still use a % of MSRP to lease at, you get a good deal and lower payment.

Here is where the trouble and my question is. Because the pickings are slim as opposed to walking in and ordering a car to be built, I will most likely have to make some sacrifices to get into a 1er. The CA asked what I was looking for a I told him:
'10 135i (only reason being is the 11's won't be avail through this program until LATE Summer/early Fall and I don't feel like waiting that long, my current car is about to sell)
6MT
Msport or ZSP (msport preferred)
Navi
smartphone
prem sound
iPod
bmw assist
and in a few various color combos I'd be ok with.

The problem is that no MT's seem to come up ever (we've been looking for a month now and the 3rd auction is coming up this next week).

Ok so here are my 2 question.

1. For a guy who's driven stick MT cars since the day he turned 16, how bad would the AT really be? I feel like you never get the same response out of the car in the AT and I really like having the car respond to every slight touch of my foot on the accelerator. I also am not crazy about having to pay $1400 for it but if it's all I can find I might have to if I really want a 1. And yes I plan to tune this one. I'd love to wait for the DCT cuz I've driven the sport trans on a 535 loaner and it was heavenly, plus it would solve a lot of problems of availabilty but I just don't see that being possible unless I lease a brand spankin' new one at over $100 more a month, which seems silly when I'd probably prefer the MT anyway.

2. What are the must have options on the 1er. What can I kinda "live without" and is there anything I didn't ask for that I should be? Keep in mind my 328xi is pretty bare bones and I want at least ZSP if not Msport cuz I really like the black headliner. Features like Comfort Access are ok if the car has it but it wouldn't make me not buy the car if it wasn't there ya know.

Just wanted to get some opinions from the guys driving these things on stuff they wished they would have gotten or things they might not have needed.

Thanks a lot guys.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 12:56 AM   #2
MarkR171
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C | '20 100AE ND2

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
To me, only the M Sport is a real "must have" apart from my preference for the DCT. On 2011s, leather and ipod come free with the "value package" so I'm sure most if not all 2011s will come that way. I live in Hawaii so it's not easy to get lost, navigation was a definite pass for me.

I've read the premium sound on 2010s and earlier wasn't very good, but the Harman Kardon in my 2011 is great.

As for the other options, I think you could live without them, but it's your car not mine
      05-21-2010, 02:00 AM   #3
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Must have's=manual thats it

The only option I took in 08 was M-Sport
If I need options well I have my living room or house for that stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 03:27 AM   #4
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
I think the cost benefit of this program would start to diminish if it forces you to pay $1400 for a transmission you don't want. Why not look for a lower mileage CPO 1er? Granted, pickings are likely to be slim for a 6MT, but it's worth a look at least.

For me, personally, MT and either ZMP or ZSP are baseline "mandatory" options. And I guess 6FL (iPod adapter) would be tough to live without. If you're shopping a 128i, I would add xenons to that list, but since you're looking at 135i's, they're already standard.

Anything else seems like fluff to me. I do wish I had ordered premium sound, as the base stereo in 2010's is pretty underwhelming. If you're in a line of work that keeps you tethered to a cell phone, then I can see BMW Assist/Smartphone Integration being important. Personally, I prefer not taking calls in the car. Navigation packages just seem like an easy way to tack on an extra $2K for no real benefit other than bling factor. I'm resisting having a giant computer screen in my car for as long as possible, esp. if I have to pay through the nose for it. But I'm probably in the minority on that.
      05-21-2010, 04:51 AM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

My MUST HAVEs were:

6sp Manual Trans.
M-Sport Pak
USB/Ipod 6FL
Cold weather pak/heated seats.
Metalic Paint.

everything else to me was "fluff".

The 6MT trans are really rare, as you know by now. I think someone here said it is like only 1% to 3% of 1er's that get ordered that way! What does that tell you about our American culture in ordering/buying a Sports Car/GT ?

To the OP... I would just bite the bullet and order the car of your dreams. Forget that auction crap.

Ohhh.... Btw... I should have also said to get the upgraded HK audio. I regret not getting that now.

Last edited by Dackelone; 05-21-2010 at 05:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 06:34 AM   #6
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
My MUST HAVEs were:

6sp Manual Trans.
M-Sport Pak
USB/Ipod 6FL
Cold weather pak/heated seats.
Metalic Paint.

everything else to me was "fluff".

The 6MT trans are really rare, as you know by now. I think someone here said it is like only 1% to 3% of 1er's that get ordered that way! What does that tell you about our American culture in ordering/buying a Sports Car/GT ?

To the OP... I would just bite the bullet and order the car of your dreams. Forget that auction crap.

Ohhh.... Btw... I should have also said to get the upgraded HK audio. I regret not getting that now.
I don't know anyone who doesn't have a 6MT in their 135i
      05-21-2010, 07:09 AM   #7
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR171 View Post
To me, only the M Sport is a real "must have" apart from my preference for the DCT. On 2011s, leather and ipod come free with the "value package" so I'm sure most if not all 2011s will come that way. I live in Hawaii so it's not easy to get lost, navigation was a definite pass for me.

I've read the premium sound on 2010s and earlier wasn't very good, but the Harman Kardon in my 2011 is great.

As for the other options, I think you could live without them, but it's your car not mine
Premium Sound (Logic 7) and Premium Harman Kardon are exactly the same thing.
      05-21-2010, 07:34 AM   #8
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

This is a classic case of 'when is a deal not a deal?'. Usually when you wind up with something you really don't want.

If you are like me, driving anything but a MT is not the experience I need from driving. Therefore a great price on a non-MT automobile just doesn't cut it.

"The Dingo ate your Mustang"
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 08:04 AM   #9
penny
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i (sold)

I have pretty much all the options you listed. If I could do it all over, the must haves are:

MT
Sport
BMW Assist (If my HPFP didn't die so often, this wouldn't be a must have.)
      05-21-2010, 08:11 AM   #10
AussieAlf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LMB 123d MT Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
I don't know anyone who doesn't have a 6MT in their 135i
You and I obviously only know 1-3% of drivers (probably the wrong sort).
Cheers,
Alf
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 08:17 AM   #11
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Personal preferences I guess.... but I've always had MTs before my 135. I don't really miss it with the auto in this car. Its a really nice piece with the rev matching, etc. I don't even have the new DCT, but I think a new car with that would be even better.

It also really depends on what you plan to do to your car. Do you plan on putting coils, etc on it? If so, then it really doesn't matter what suspension its got since you are going to rip it all out anyway.

To me, the only thing that is a must have is the iPod adaptor.. everything else is changeable/fixable/upgradeable.

If I were you I'd save the money upfront and immediately ditch the run-flats (I wish I had done this a year or so earlier than I did). Get some good coils and replace the suspension. Pay $75 and cover up the chrome window trim with vinyl (I did this and IMO it looks better than the OE shaddowline trim.).. and let the rest of it ride. No point paying $80-$100 more a month for stuff you are just going to replace anyway.

In any form though, it's an awesome car... you won't be sorry.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 08:50 AM   #12
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
I basically have the exact car you are looking for, so maybe I can shed some light. To me they are all great options and I would not want to live without now having had them. The requirements would be either sport package since the seats are great and so is the steering wheel, knob, etc. The suspension is the same on all 135's so it doesn't matter there. The 6mt is definitely needed if you like the stick. The auto performs well, but never has the same involvement IMO. The nav is underrated, becuase it makes using the phone and iPod much better. The traffic info and maps are great. You also get some other features with the nav. I love mine. The prem sound is good too. I never heard the standard, but I do like my logic7. I think the smartphone is unecessary if you have assist/Bluetooth except you get to use the car's antenna for better reception. I couldn't live without the iPod, as I have all my music always accessible.

Hope this helps,

Tim
      05-21-2010, 10:34 AM   #13
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Thanks everyone, some good points out there. I think I knew the navi isn't a must have but a nice perk. I think I'd still need BMW assist cuz going through Chicago if you're caught on your phone without hands free its a ticket. So I guess I'm thinking 6MT, Htd seats (Chicago gets cold in January), Bmw assist, and either ZSP or ZMP for the seats, wheels and shadowline trim (and headliner on msport).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I think the cost benefit of this program would start to diminish if it forces you to pay $1400 for a transmission you don't want. Why not look for a lower mileage CPO 1er? Granted, pickings are likely to be slim for a 6MT, but it's worth a look at least.
Bob I have considered this however then I'm not able to lease the car. The benefit for me on leasing the Exec demo is that they do it on cars that have already been driven with a reduced sales price but a residual still based of MSRP. If you lease a used car they don't use the original MSRP for the residual so you end up leasing for the same price as a new one would.

If I was going to buy one, I would totally have considered CPO but I'd almost be better off ordering a 2011 of EXACTLY what I want and leasing it as it'd be about the same price monthly. I realize owning it is better in the long run but I don't have the monthly income to be able to afford that if I want to mod it and do all that. Plus I usually change out cars in 2-3 yrs anyway so most of the time on a 60 month finance I'm breaking even on trading in around 36 months in anyway so why not lease with a smaller payment.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 09:38 PM   #14
Dan535is
Rep
Drives: '88 535is /'75 911/'08 135i

I was recently in the same position. However, I found it impossible finding a 6MT with navi. Due to this I decided to drop the nav as a requirement, I could never compromise on the transmission. I understand the benefits of having the screen when using an iPod, radio, etc. but for the amount I'd actually use the navigation function it didn't seem like something to hold out on. And as a result I am picking up my 08 135i tomorrow and couldn't be happier.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 09:55 PM   #15
cagekicker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 crimson red 135i

ain't NOTHING like a stick!
      05-28-2010, 10:01 PM   #16
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 convertible

If you buy a car from lot, then getting MT isn't possible. At least I couldn't find any in entire CA. Stupid lazy people, why every car in India has stick and only few in US? I do not know than people richer, then they want more auto. Anyway, CA is essential package.
      05-28-2010, 10:45 PM   #17
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Yeah well I actually was able to find a 6mt with a navi so now I'm making a final decision between that and an msport E90 335i... also with a navi but and AT.

Right now looks like the 6MT is winning.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 01:11 AM   #18
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
Thanks everyone, some good points out there. I think I knew the navi isn't a must have but a nice perk. I think I'd still need BMW assist cuz going through Chicago if you're caught on your phone without hands free its a ticket. So I guess I'm thinking 6MT, Htd seats (Chicago gets cold in January), Bmw assist, and either ZSP or ZMP for the seats, wheels and shadowline trim (and headliner on msport).

Bob I have considered this however then I'm not able to lease the car. The benefit for me on leasing the Exec demo is that they do it on cars that have already been driven with a reduced sales price but a residual still based of MSRP. If you lease a used car they don't use the original MSRP for the residual so you end up leasing for the same price as a new one would.

If I was going to buy one, I would totally have considered CPO but I'd almost be better off ordering a 2011 of EXACTLY what I want and leasing it as it'd be about the same price monthly. I realize owning it is better in the long run but I don't have the monthly income to be able to afford that if I want to mod it and do all that. Plus I usually change out cars in 2-3 yrs anyway so most of the time on a 60 month finance I'm breaking even on trading in around 36 months in anyway so why not lease with a smaller payment.
Given that you're looking at "executive" cars, manuals will be as hard to find as a virgin in a whore house.

If you really want to know how the automatic is, go test drive one.
There are still 2010's on lots around the Chicago area, and mostly all of those will be automatics. The auto has some quirks, but overall performance is truly excellent for an automatic trans. It's quick to respond, smooth on shifts, and generally well received.

As far as options, that's a personal choice as you can see. One mans frivolity is another mans necessity. It really depends on how you use your car on a daily basis. If you love to listen to music then the base system is crap, so the upgraded audio is necessary.
If you can't stand sitting on hard, cold seats in winter, then at least heated seats are necessary.
Do you really need NAV? A portable GPS works just fine, but given the low monthly you'll be paying in the first place, options are only a fraction of the cost when leasing.

You will absolutely need new tires at least. Make sure to budget about $800 or more depending on what you want. I am running Conti DWS all seasons and they are great, and worked very well in the winter. Not as great as snow tires, but given that we have a lot more cold dry, and cold wet days vs snow days, I get to appreciate the better performance and comfort of an all season compared to snow tires.
I'm also using mine year round, so I didn't need to get a new set of wheels. Don't forget, when you return your lease the car MUST HAVE run flat tires on it, just like from the factory. So don't wait to get tires.
Just store the mediocre RFT's and put them back on for lease return.

My must have list is:
Manual trans
Premium pkg.
Sport pkg. M sport is cool too, it has more M cosmetics
I have a 2009 and listen to music every minute I'm in my car.
The stock system in 09 is actually acceptable just not very loud.
I installed 2 SWS subs under the seats and that made a very nice improvement.
Metallic paint. I was going to go with no cost red, but I wanted the red seats and that would have been too much red.
Oh, I SHOULD have got the heated seats, but didn't.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 01:14 AM   #19
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOCKBA View Post
If you buy a car from lot, then getting MT isn't possible. At least I couldn't find any in entire CA. Stupid lazy people, why every car in India has stick and only few in US? I do not know than people richer, then they want more auto. Anyway, CA is essential package.
"Stupid lazy people", and then you list CA as essential?
The irony is super fantastic. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 01:20 AM   #20
mshahidz
Major
Rep
Drives: M4, 991 GT3

i dont give a rats ass what people say, the NAV is the one option that makes a 135i more upscale from the interior. Its my biggest regret by far. I know people say it may not be a good system, but people say that about EVERY built-in nav. The screen is unbelievable and the ipod interface is amazing.

All you need is MSPORT+PREM+NAV+COMFORT.

Go big or go home. I made the mistake of skimping out and not waiting for the perfect car, and i regret it dearly.

You can "live without" most options, but when you are spending that much money on a car, I would want it to be perfect.

oh and also, 6mt ftw
      05-29-2010, 01:22 AM   #21
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
Yeah well I actually was able to find a 6mt with a navi so now I'm making a final decision between that and an msport E90 335i... also with a navi but and AT.

Right now looks like the 6MT is winning.
Good find.

Now you have to decide between a larger, better suspension 3 sedan with AT, or the smaller, slightly quicker, quirky but cooler 1 series.

Sedan utility is nice, but the 1 has plenty of comfort and cargo room if you don't carry passengers that often. If you do, then the sedan is the better choice.

I feel the sport suspended 3 series cars have a noticeably better suspension. It's a smoother ride partly due to the longer wheelbase, but the suspension tuning in the 3 has become legendary.

Choices choices. You gotta go and drive some representative models before you decide.
Or, just go with the 1 cause it's just cooler.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 09:18 AM   #22
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Good find.

Now you have to decide between a larger, better suspension 3 sedan with AT, or the smaller, slightly quicker, quirky but cooler 1 series.

Sedan utility is nice, but the 1 has plenty of comfort and cargo room if you don't carry passengers that often. If you do, then the sedan is the better choice.

I feel the sport suspended 3 series cars have a noticeably better suspension. It's a smoother ride partly due to the longer wheelbase, but the suspension tuning in the 3 has become legendary.

Choices choices. You gotta go and drive some representative models before you decide.
Or, just go with the 1 cause it's just cooler.
haha, I appreciate the two posts... good info man, thank you.

as far as suspension, I plan on modding the heck outta either car so that is easily taken care of. UUC sways and KWv1's or hell maybe some Bilstein's if I wanna throw some money around.

I think I decided last night that having a higher payment for the 3er plus losing the 6MT just wasn't worth the beautiful LeMans/Oyster Mtech combo on the 335. It's a very hard choice and I'm sure I'd be very happy with either car but I think I'd be more happy being "seen" in that specific 335 and more happy actually driving the 1er so I'm about 99% sure now I'm gonna pull the trigger on the 135i.

Now about that N55... anybody tune one of these suckers yet?
Appreciate 0