BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-25-2010, 09:34 PM   #45
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Wow!
Any idea how the driveline handles this kind of load, particularly at the strip?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 09:58 PM   #46
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

^Just don't launch hard?

Kenny, high five! You're yet again setting a good benchmark for the enthusiast community.

Now... did I hear you say you're going to take some videos for us?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 02:01 AM   #47
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar design View Post
Very nice!!!!!!!!
Andrew, thanks to your great downpipes and oil catch can, both recommended products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian@EWS View Post
hmm... baller! CF front lips, hood, trunk and diffuser would shed off a bit of weight and finish it up nicely
Brian, the iCarbon stuff looks great, I'm thinking on the diffuser and front lip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlin View Post
Adrian was pretty much on the money with a prediction of 295 - 300kw ATW.
Orlin, yes it seems like Adrian has the experience to know! The PROcede V4.29 certainly produces the results as my independent results show. The best power improvement and certainly the best value for money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1q2w3e4r View Post
Yeah, from what I hear there is more in it as well
Benny well you never know, I wonder if swapping from a large single nozzle to two smaller nozzles will make a difference? Same with unleaded race fuel, it can make more power if you can take advantage of timing. The results will show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmj73 View Post
epic journal, will be great to see 300 killer wasps!!!!
Thanks for the kind words, it remains to be seen if the car can crack 300 rwkw barrier. To be honest it's already making more power thank it needs to be a pretty decent daily driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
Wow!
Any idea how the driveline handles this kind of load, particularly at the strip?
Tim, thanks! Driveline endurance remains to be seen, but BMW usually has pretty stout engineering. In my experience drag strips are tough on driveline and I don't want to break my daily driver. I've got a street/strip car for that kinda tomfoolery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
^Just don't launch hard?

Kenny, high five! You're yet again setting a good benchmark for the enthusiast community.

Now... did I hear you say you're going to take some videos for us?
Well hey thanks, but the 1 series community has been behind the mods I've made to my 135, without this online community I wouldn't have known the first step to take, or the options I had to choose from at any step.

Big thanks to everyone here who makes it fun to own a 1 series and play with your car.

I'd love to make some fun videos in my 135 when I get the opportunity and time.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 11:57 PM   #48
adrian@vishnu
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

We can tickle another 10kW out of this beast with race gas some more meth and a few tune tweaks.

Is this currently the highest dyno reading for an N54 in Australia?

Any plans for a quarter mile run Kenny.... ease it off the line and shoot for MPH? I reckon it should do around 120-122MPH which would be a great result. Hopefully more.. some have achieved 124-126MPH with similar mods.

Cheers,

Adrian
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 03:43 AM   #49
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post

Benny well you never know, I wonder if swapping from a large single nozzle to two smaller nozzles will make a difference? Same with unleaded race fuel, it can make more power if you can take advantage of timing. The results will show!

Well hey thanks, but the 1 series community has been behind the mods I've made to my 135, without this online community I wouldn't have known the first step to take, or the options I had to choose from at any step.

Big thanks to everyone here who makes it fun to own a 1 series and play with your car.

I'd love to make some fun videos in my 135 when I get the opportunity and time.

Tim, thanks! Driveline endurance remains to be seen, but BMW usually has pretty stout engineering. In my experience drag strips are tough on driveline and I don't want to break my daily driver. I've got a street/strip car for that kinda tomfoolery!
Just saw this quote! Prick! And you know your lying.

The grudge match continues! I think a twin car camera setup is in order

Pete can tune it, that's no problem. Its just how much timing it can take. Hey, if my little 2.6 could run 25psi on 98 RON

Give us a buzz if your around this long weekend, I'd be keen to go for a strap and you can take the Merc out for a run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian@vishnu View Post
We can tickle another 10kW out of this beast with race gas some more meth and a few tune tweaks.

Any plans for a quarter mile run Kenny.... ease it off the line and shoot for MPH? I reckon it should do around 120-122MPH which would be a great result. Hopefully more.. some have achieved 124-126MPH with similar mods.

Cheers,

Adrian
He'll run it, we're trying to find a private day at WSID to head out to as they are the best value for money.

I had to LOL at the "ease it off the line" method, ask him about his "easing it off the line method for E46 M3s next time your chatting...

It's got to trap mid 120s, the power is there.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 07:03 PM   #50
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 F80, M140i

I'm impressed
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 12:26 AM   #51
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Adrian, I haven't seen a dyno sheet from anyone else in Australia but I also know every dyno machine reads slightly differently so I am totally not hung up on peak dyno numbers.

I would like to run the 135 at WSID to get some passes in and see what she is capable of. Be good to get some trap speeds and a raceweight too.

Quote:
Just saw this quote! Prick! And you know your lying.

The grudge match continues! I think a twin car camera setup is in order

Pete can tune it, that's no problem. Its just how much timing it can take. Hey, if my little 2.6 could run 25psi on 98 RON

Give us a buzz if your around this long weekend, I'd be keen to go for a strap and you can take the Merc out for a run.

He'll run it, we're trying to find a private day at WSID to head out to as they are the best value for money.

I had to LOL at the "ease it off the line" method, ask him about his "easing it off the line method for E46 M3s next time your chatting...

It's got to trap mid 120s, the power is there.
Benny: Heheh, there's a good reason I know not to drag race my daily driver!
I think some two car incar video would be cool, we'll have to set that up and do a decent cruise.

I am confident Peter can tune it if the PROcede V4.29 can control timing to the extent required, I'm not sure if the comouter is capable of taking advantage of the VP MS109 or not. No point tipping race fuel into the tank if the computer can't make use of it. If Peter and Adrian can give it more advance the car should make some good power on the VP 109.

Let's get together this long weekend and take the cars out for a spin. I'm keen to check out your new driveway!

I think a private track day at WSID would be the perfect opportunity to test out what my 135 can do. It's the best way to take a measured and relaxed approach to getting the most out of a street car at the drag strip. I'll be at the next one!

Don't you know I am a meekest lamb when getting a street car out of the hole at a drag strip! Everyone knows this.

I do wonder what traps the car will run, also intersted in getting a raceweight on the accurate scales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew@southernBM View Post
I'm impressed
Andrew: Wow! That's high praise coming from the 135 Overlord!

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 12:42 AM   #52
Brian@EWS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: deciding...

Quote:
You deserve it
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 02:46 AM   #53
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Pfft, as if, your dreaming, all perception boys.

I'm just trying like everyone else out there, doing the best we can.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 05:24 AM   #54
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep

Quote:

Benny: Heheh, there's a good reason I know not to drag race my daily driver!
I think some two car incar video would be cool, we'll have to set that up and do a decent cruise.

I am confident Peter can tune it if the PROcede V4.29 can control timing to the extent required, I'm not sure if the comouter is capable of taking advantage of the VP MS109 or not. No point tipping race fuel into the tank if the computer can't make use of it. If Peter and Adrian can give it more advance the car should make some good power on the VP 109.

Let's get together this long weekend and take the cars out for a spin. I'm keen to check out your new driveway!

I think a private track day at WSID would be the perfect opportunity to test out what my 135 can do. It's the best way to take a measured and relaxed approach to getting the most out of a street car at the drag strip. I'll be at the next one!

Don't you know I am a meekest lamb when getting a street car out of the hole at a drag strip! Everyone knows this.
I'm around Sunday arvo and all day Monday (after a morning ride so say 1100).

I can probably swing a Wed arvo off from say 1500 in October if we can't lock in a Private Day before summer. I know SJB is keen to come out with his AMG as well. Give us a buzz later in the week and let me know how your placed.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 09:03 AM   #55
V1_R
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30 530i

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [10.00]
Nice clean Mods and very informative thread.

I must say I am surprised you didn't go for a dual cone intake system after spending all that coin.
      10-31-2010, 03:25 AM   #56
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep

Kenny took me for a strap in this the other week and I had a punt behind the wheel.

VERY fast, especially out of the hole when your up it from each gear racking through them.

Most impressively to me was the amount of useable in gear torque driving around town, the engine comfortably pulls in fourth and fifth and low speed and when you stomp it is tractable even without an LSD.

I reckon it'd trap into the 122-125mph bracket at WSID. For anyone with a 135 a Procede is probably a worthwhile investment IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 03:42 AM   #57
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
For anyone with a 135 a Procede is probably a worthwhile investment IMHO.
THIS.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 06:02 AM   #58
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Great work Kenny. Your 135i is a beast! I appreciate all the updates and dynos too.

Subscribed for more updates!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 03:34 AM   #59
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Stage 4 Tuning

Stage 4 Tuning.
135 with full boltons, meth kit and VP MS019 unleaded race fuel.

My car made 296.1 rwkw (397 rwhp) with PROcede, full boltons, Vishnu methanol kit (dual D04 nozzles) running on VP MS109 race unleaded.

Recap:
Stock 187.9 rwkw
Stage 1: Computer 234.1 rwkw (+46.2 rwkw)
Stage 2: Computer + boltons 259.0 rwkw (+71.1 rwkw)
Stage 3: Computer + boltons + meth 291.3 rwkw (+103.4 rwkw)
Stage 4: Computer + boltons + dual meth + race fuel 296.1 rwkw (+108.2 rwkw)

The race unleaded allowed some additional timing and another 1-2 psi in boost and gained 4.8 rwkw (~7 rwhp) over the same setup with pump unleaded (98 RON) but with a single larger meth nozzle over the dual nozzles.

Examining the dyno sheets in a bit more detail, the car picked up a useful amount of torque with race fuel over the pump fuel, however the peak horsepower number was a marginal gain (~1.6% increase).

In conclusion 98 RON pump unleaded plus methanol is convenient and makes 99% as much power as race unleaded plus methanol. Why would you bother? VP MS109 is expensive, you need a race licence to buy it and you've got to store it somewhere. I won't be using VP MS 109 going forward but it's good to find out the results for yourself.

I also suspect that a dyno run with race unleaded/ no methanol might show a large improvement over pump/ no methanol. What I mean is that race fuel is worth it if you take methanol out of the picture.

But a Vishnu methanol kit plus regular pump unleaded is a massive improvement and well worth the price.

Last edited by MrBlonde; 11-06-2010 at 06:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 03:54 AM   #60
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep

It doesn't look like it's ramping boost up too smoothly mate, what's up there?

Also if your running 109 then keep an eye on your pre cat o2 sensors, i am finding they are pretty fragile even on stock cars.

Impressive number though for a 135i though isn't it. Makes me think back a few years when we first hit 200rwkw with msd81 when we were doing tuning, how things have moved on.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 04:02 AM   #61
adrian@vishnu
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Well done Kenny!!

The boost curve coming on is the progressive meth feature doing what it is supposed to. Meth is
Not triggered until 12psi. The it takes a few second for the flow to stabalise and boost target is responding to flow. We could probably clean it up by lowering the meth threshold to around 8-10psi.

Cheers,

Adrian
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 04:03 AM   #62
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Interesting numbers. I didn't think race fuel would make a huge difference in conjunction with the meth kit. At around $10 a litre, MS109 isn't exactly cheap so meth seems like the perfect setup being so economical to run. I wish I had local support for it here in Brisbane as I'd love to have this on the cards later down the track. What have you got planned to crack the 300kw mark? Seems like you've got almost every mod except upgraded turbos unless I'm missing something. 296kw is very impressive though, well done
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 04:22 AM   #63
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Kenny took me for a strap in this the other week and I had a punt behind the wheel.

VERY fast, especially out of the hole when your up it from each gear racking through them.

Most impressively to me was the amount of useable in gear torque driving around town, the engine comfortably pulls in fourth and fifth and low speed and when you stomp it is tractable even without an LSD.

I reckon it'd trap into the 122-125mph bracket at WSID. For anyone with a 135 a Procede is probably a worthwhile investment IMHO.
Benny: Yeah and that was with the methanol kit turned off (i.e. Stage 2 tune) ~ 259.0 rwkw. With 291+ rwkw it's more of a handful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
THIS.
I agree the PROcede computer is an excellent value for money starting point. After that the methanol kit. From there the gains are less and less on the value for money scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Great work Kenny. Your 135i is a beast! I appreciate all the updates and dynos too.

Subscribed for more updates!
Thanks for the kind words! I like to take a considered approach and actually dyno all my mods to see if they work or not. I'm not into the "butt dyno" approach which leads to fantasy boasts of massive horsepower that are never backed up on the drag strip!

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 04:40 AM   #64
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew@southernBM View Post
It doesn't look like it's ramping boost up too smoothly mate, what's up there?

Also if your running 109 then keep an eye on your pre cat o2 sensors, i am finding they are pretty fragile even on stock cars.

Impressive number though for a 135i though isn't it. Makes me think back a few years when we first hit 200rwkw with msd81 when we were doing tuning, how things have moved on.
Andrew, I'll defer to Adrian from Vishnu Australia and Peter from Advan Performance on that one mate! I was in Noosa minding my children while my wife competed in the triathlon when the tuning was done!

I agree about running race fuel and watching oxygen sensors, I'm not planning on running VP MS109 after the 20 litres in my tank is used up.

The PROcede plus Vishnu meth kit and 98 RON does all I need in a street car.
I'm ecstatic about the outcomes, it's making a gob of power!

For those who read the US dyno results and are wondering how come the Yanks claim over 500 rwhp (296.1 rwkw =~ 397 rwhp), bear in mind the Americans use Dynojet dyno machines which read 20% higher than Australian Dyno Dynamics set to shootout mode. So you could argue 400 rwhp here is 480 rwhp in USA.

The real measure is to see what equivalent weight 135s here run for trap speed at the drag strip compared to US cars. The big black dyno never lies!

Quote:
Well done Kenny!!

The boost curve coming on is the progressive meth feature doing what it is supposed to. Meth is not triggered until 12psi. The it takes a few second for the flow to stabalise and boost target is responding to flow. We could probably clean it up by lowering the meth threshold to around 8-10psi.
Adrian, I'll get Peter at Advan Performance to discuss that tweak (decreasing threshold from 12 psi to 8-10 psi) with you and make the changes to the tune in my 135 if that's the agreed go forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Interesting numbers. I didn't think race fuel would make a huge difference in conjunction with the meth kit. At around $10 a litre, MS109 isn't exactly cheap so meth seems like the perfect setup being so economical to run. I wish I had local support for it here in Brisbane as I'd love to have this on the cards later down the track. What have you got planned to crack the 300kw mark? Seems like you've got almost every mod except upgraded turbos unless I'm missing something. 296kw is very impressive though, well done
BMW86: Yeah I've used C16, VP Import, VP MS109 and 100 RON before and got various results with turbo cars. I've never used a methanol spray kit before and I have to say I am very impressed.

I did not know what to expect from the pump/meth vs race/meth comparison and as it turns out it's so close you wouldn't bother with race fuel on a street car. Sure if you have a standalone computer and can wind in 8 degrees of timing and get an extra 200 ft/lb of torque midrange, you'd do it! But on a daily driver why bother for 7 rwhp and a bit more torque.

I buy VP fuels in 54 gallon drums so it's a bit cheaper than $10/litre but you are dead on with the cost analysis: it ain't worth it. Plus as I said you need a race licence to buy race fuel.

You will have local support from your VP race fuels dealer, just contact them and ask for M1 Methanol. Comes in 5 gal/15 gal/30 gal and 54 gallon drums.
VP Fuels Australia, Paul Agazzi 02 9723-4233.

I have no plans to make any further power enhancements with my daily driver so it looks like I won't be threatening the 300 rwkw mark! I could have done what the heroes do and loosened the tie downs on the rollers, set the ambient temperature to 45 degrees, fiddled with ramp rate, etc and cracked a 320 rwkw number but it's not that kinda party. :-)

As for further mods I spoke to Brian about the iCarbon rear diffuser and front flippers. An LSD is an important performance enhancement on our cars. I'd like to install a KW suspension and some Forgeline wheels with decent rubber. Andrew has been telling me about some Recaro seats that are basically the same as the BMW performance seats and they are sweet.

I've also got the full BMW Performance carbon fibre interior kit that I have not yet installed.

For now I'll rattle the empty piggybank and ponder on the gap between my wants and my means!

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 06:10 PM   #65
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Analysis of performance mods

When looking at the performance modifications I have made (related to engine output), I'd like to spell out the outcomes for those who are pondering purchases for their 135.

1. PROcede V4 Piggyback computer. Cost: ~$1,250 installed. Gains: 62 rwhp. Value: $21/rwhp

2. Vishnu Progressive Methanol Kit with dual D04 nozzles. Cost: ~$1,250 supply parts only. Gains: 44 rwhp. Value: $29/rwhp

3. Full boltons, all installation costs, etc. Cost: $11,338 Gains: 33 rwhp. Value: $344/rwhp

+ VP MS109 Race Fuel. Cost: ~ $10/litre. Gains: 6 rwhp. Value: Poor.
+ VP M1 Methanol. Cost: $92.40 for 5 gallon (19 litre) drum.

Conclusions for would-be modders. Well I think it's pretty obvious that your best mod path would be as follows:

PROcede V4 with latest tune plus Vishnu Progressive Methanol Kit. This gets you something like 100+ rwhp at a cost of ~$2,500.

If you wanted to spend some more money then I'd say go with catless downpipes, this will free up some power and make better noise, along with better response. All the other boltons will add a bit of power but basically you're chasing the dragon's tail by then.

A full exhaust system gives you that sound you want but again the power improvements are not the same value for money.

For best bang/buck just talk to Adrian at Vishnu Australia for a PROcede and a meth kit and be done with it.

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #66
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Sounds like you've summed it up pretty well Kenny. Your conclusions are pretty consistent with all the research I've done and you've done all the dynos to back it up. I was just wondering, have you considered maybe dropping in an aftermarket intake to possibly try and crack the 300rwkw? I'm aware the Aussie dynos read a lot lower and I've never been absolutely sure whether there are substantial gains but it's worth a shot (not that you need that power though lol!) Also, I'd imagine if you were really trying to squeeze out all the extra ponies you could try a bigger fmic. Also, does the CPE exhaust have any restrictions ie. mufflers, cats? If it were me I wouldn't bother but if you really wanted to crack the 300rwkw that's probably your best bet for now. As you said, the bolt-ons don't really do much for overall gains when weighing up the power to cost ratio but I think they help support engine in pumping out this much power, especially if it's your daily driver. Better airflow, cooler air, less restrictive exhaust will all help in the long term.
Appreciate 0