BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-03-2013, 02:45 AM   #1
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

You know the 1M is special when....

You're driving along and notice a car pull alongside you slowly, checking out the 1M from back to front, looking at the angles (presumably to confirm what it is), then give you a big grin and a thumbs up.

However what makes it even better is the driver giving you the thumbs up is driving a brand new, bright yellow, Ferrari 458 Italia!!

I did laugh as I looked back at him and gave him a smile and thumbs up at his car. He then gave it a blast so that I could hear the Ferrari war cry. Stunning!!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 03:05 AM   #2
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Nice story. I had the same thing last sunday afternoon but it was a black Civic Type R, the passenger taking photos with his cellphone. He also 'blasted' away. I didn't do anything. I was conversating with my wife at 70 mph @ highway but she noticed the car/guys.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
bgexpress334.50
      03-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #3
rtg0616
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

I had a similar experience when I picked up my Z8 many moons ago. Driving from North London onto the M1 I had a guy in an M3 come hoofing passed me, only to slam on his brakes drive alongside me for what seemed like ten minutes Then had no end of people taking photos/vids with their phones from the backseats. Slightly embarrassing but cool all the same!

Roy.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
jan9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: NA

Was on the north circular yesterday, 2 guys in a saab, zoomed from lane 1 into lane 3, just to get behind me and take pictures,then exit at the next junction! Has happened a few times to me now. Nice but also makes me feel a little self conscious! Prefer a thumbs up from pedestrians
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Check also these threads:
www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=600639 ("Ultimate driving machine/Ultimate attention getter!")
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655081 ("Will it ....?")
      03-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
1M Tex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M Coupe, AW,

I got stopped in a small Texas town by the local law enforcement recently. He walked up to the car window and apologized for stopping me but said he had to get a better look at such a great car. Better than getting a ticket.

1M envy.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
ace11
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 1M - A1 quattro - S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1M Tex View Post
I got stopped in a small Texas town by the local law enforcement recently. He walked up to the car window and apologized for stopping me but said he had to get a better look at such a great car. Better than getting a ticket.

1M envy.
      03-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #8
1M Roo
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M & 640d Gran Coupe M Sport

Filled my 1M up with petrol the other Friday evening, on returning to the car there was a guy taking pictures of it at all angles. When he realised I was the owner he appoligised but said he had never seen one in real life. That is when I realised I had taken it for granted!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #9
Axelf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 35is...

Today a guy came running up to the car... I was stationary ( having an ice cream) out side the car!! Haha , he said he would love a car like that and said if he won the lottery he would buy one!! It makes me realise how lucky I am to own one... He then said when you come past me will you floor it so I can hear the roar.... He was out running...... So I had to oblige , he was happy and so was I......
      03-04-2013, 07:46 AM   #10
AlanO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

Why is it that I get the 17 year old in the 12 year old Mustang?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #11
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanO View Post
Why is it that I get the 17 year old in the 12 year old Mustang?
Watch this video for the answer (especially from 00:35 onwards):

03-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #12
willox
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M2,Cayenne

Haha,excellent,had some attention(all positive)so far with the 1M,had someone film it the other day,so lit the beast up,hope they dont report me for being a mad mo fo Guess sign of a rare car,yet to see another one in the u.k,seen plenty at the ring last year
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #13
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBuer View Post
You're driving along and notice a car pull alongside you slowly, checking out the 1M from back to front, looking at the angles (presumably to confirm what it is), then give you a big grin and a thumbs up.

However what makes it even better is the driver giving you the thumbs up is driving a brand new, bright yellow, Ferrari 458 Italia!!

I did laugh as I looked back at him and gave him a smile and thumbs up at his car. He then gave it a blast so that I could hear the Ferrari war cry. Stunning!!
I had this happen once, nice day out, I see an absolutely stunning new dark blue ferrari pull alongside, a father and his son gawking at the car... He drops the window, tells me how stunning the VO, lines and everything else are, and procedes drops the hammer on that glorious 12 cylinder beast!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #14
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Holy crap that was funny!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #15
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

LONG POST, You've just been warned! Since this thread is resurrected I got to tell this: 1M gets constant attention here from everyone, mostly also because mine is a VO, I have seen other two color specimen here, it seemed to me that other than me very few people if any notice BSM or AW 1Ms since the model is largely unkown in Chile.

My biggest surprise lately was when a very young guy (max 20 or less) approached to me while I was parking at a seaside restaurant's parking lot and pointing a Range Rover, also parking, told me that "his dad wants to buy my car if I am selling it and can pay tomorrow in cash"! Well my reaction was "What?, No, thanks but not for sale, hopefully never" also thinking that this was a practical joke or a trap. Then, a while later when me and my friend was welcomed at the bar of the restaurant to wait for minimum an hour to get a table (no reservations there) I saw this guy having a table together with his "dad" and someone else who could be his brother without waiting a sec. So! They did not need to wait like normal people too! I approached their table and told the guy that if they are really interested in buying a 1M I know at least one which was for sale (info that I had from my service workshop which receives some other 1Ms). They thanked and insisted to have a lunch together which we accepted. It was a fun chat and a good lunch, the "dad" turned out to be a quite rich businessman (I mean rich as Forbes magazine rich) and a car nut as well; he and his sons had a multiple car garage including Nurburgring edition R34 GT-R Vspec, Honda/Acura NSX, Aston Martin DB9, BMW 335i, BMW 2002ti, Range Rover etc. etc.

Also, dad's brother I was told to be the real big car nut of this particular family since he owns a garage counting a series of high end Porsches, Ferraris including a 288 GTO, F40, F50, Enzo among others, and 2 or 3 Pagani Zonda (they had a discussion about that, 2 or 3), one is a roadster, other being the ONE AND ONLY 760 RS I was provided with quick photos of the (car museum looking) garage and later a Google Chile detailed search showed me that everything they said was true. 2 weeks later we were already invited for a Sunday barbecue at their gorgeous and art work filled mansion and while some were having dessert I chose to ask for a ride in the NSX which was accompanied by the GT-R (I switched to second car on the way back, I'd take the NSX for myself if asked).

They still want to buy my car and I still don't sell it of course but I continue meeting them, good friends now; also constantly thinking about making-up excuses to get myself in or at least around of that Zonda 760 RS.

So yeah, 1M rocks
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #16
EssamKh
Private First Class
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2012 1M

Garage List
It is always fun when random people ask me "what type of BMW is this? I never saw it before!"

In Jeddah where I live, I got un official info from BMW dealership that there are only 4 cars in town including mine! 1 BSM, 1 VO and 2 AW
** 03 318i E46 (Retired) - Gray Green Metallic - Beige
** 02 X5 4.4i E53 (Retired) -Titanium Silver - Gray
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #17
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
My biggest surprise lately was when a very young guy (max 20 or less) approached to me while I was parking at a seaside restaurant's parking lot and pointing a Range Rover, also parking, told me that "his dad wants to buy my car if I am selling it and can pay tomorrow in cash"! [...]
"[D]ad" [...]and his sons had a multiple car garage including Nurburgring edition R34 GT-R Vspec, Honda/Acura NSX, Aston Martin DB9, BMW 335i, BMW 2002ti, Range Rover etc. etc.
Also, dad's brother [...] owns a garage counting a series of high end Porsches, Ferraris including a 288 GTO, F40, F50, Enzo among others, and 2 or 3 Pagani Zonda (they had a discussion about that, 2 or 3), one is a roadster, other being the ONE AND ONLY 760 RS [...]
2 weeks later we were already invited for a Sunday barbecue at their gorgeous and art work filled mansion [...]
They still want to buy my car and I still don't sell it of course but I continue meeting them, good friends now
Play hard to get, Oz: "My 1M ? Hm, I might cut you a deal if you throw in the Enzo."

Name:  ReallyReallyWant.jpg
Views: 4878
Size:  137.9 KB
      03-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #18
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Play hard to get, Oz: "My 1M ? Hm, I might cut you a deal if you throw in the Enzo."

Attachment 826986
Really really do Artemis Hmmm, how would it be to have a long ride in that Zonda or Enzo
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 04:10 AM   #19
docalex1
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4

Georgeous!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 05:59 AM   #20
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
LONG POST, You've just been warned! Since this thread is resurrected I got to tell this: 1M gets constant attention here from everyone, mostly also because mine is a VO, I have seen other two color specimen here, it seemed to me that other than me very few people if any notice BSM or AW 1Ms since the model is largely unkown in Chile.

My biggest surprise lately was when a very young guy (max 20 or less) approached to me while I was parking at a seaside restaurant's parking lot and pointing a Range Rover, also parking, told me that "his dad wants to buy my car if I am selling it and can pay tomorrow in cash"! Well my reaction was "What?, No, thanks but not for sale, hopefully never" also thinking that this was a practical joke or a trap. Then, a while later when me and my friend was welcomed at the bar of the restaurant to wait for minimum an hour to get a table (no reservations there) I saw this guy having a table together with his "dad" and someone else who could be his brother without waiting a sec. So! They did not need to wait like normal people too! I approached their table and told the guy that if they are really interested in buying a 1M I know at least one which was for sale (info that I had from my service workshop which receives some other 1Ms). They thanked and insisted to have a lunch together which we accepted. It was a fun chat and a good lunch, the "dad" turned out to be a quite rich businessman (I mean rich as Forbes magazine rich) and a car nut as well; he and his sons had a multiple car garage including Nurburgring edition R34 GT-R Vspec, Honda/Acura NSX, Aston Martin DB9, BMW 335i, BMW 2002ti, Range Rover etc. etc.

Also, dad's brother I was told to be the real big car nut of this particular family since he owns a garage counting a series of high end Porsches, Ferraris including a 288 GTO, F40, F50, Enzo among others, and 2 or 3 Pagani Zonda (they had a discussion about that, 2 or 3), one is a roadster, other being the ONE AND ONLY 760 RS I was provided with quick photos of the (car museum looking) garage and later a Google Chile detailed search showed me that everything they said was true. 2 weeks later we were already invited for a Sunday barbecue at their gorgeous and art work filled mansion and while some were having dessert I chose to ask for a ride in the NSX which was accompanied by the GT-R (I switched to second car on the way back, I'd take the NSX for myself if asked).

They still want to buy my car and I still don't sell it of course but I continue meeting them, good friends now; also constantly thinking about making-up excuses to get myself in or at least around of that Zonda 760 RS.

So yeah, 1M rocks
Nice story! Best I've gotten was a free ride in the Ring Taxi together with new friends in Australia!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #21
AlanO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

Quote:

Enlightenment.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #22
DarthColin
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Not quite as good a story, but first cold start (-14 C) of the day today, and I noticed that the tin ceiling in my garage was rattling...Niiice. Stock exhaust.