BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

A 1M replacement: which would be the best consolation prize?

Hi fellas,

I am in a relatively lucky position of selling my 1M this year or next and end up making a considerable profit without even trying for it (mainly because of my diplomatic status and I am not willing to share the how abouts of it, please!). All I can say is this is a fact. I love the 1M, it is the best car for me and a perfect companion and in an ideal world I would never sell it but like most I do have a family with young kids and my financial capabilities are far from being endless to ignore this kind of extra profit and insist in keeping a car for an indefinite period of time. Plus I keep on moving and changing countries due to my work description which adds more to the complexity of making plans about future.

Since last year, I chose following three future models as probable 1M replacement: the M2, new Mini GP and Alfa 4C. What I mean is I can buy any of them new and there will still be money left (more or less depending on which I choose) from the sale of my now-used 1M which makes the rationale of this deal appealing since later when I sell that new car the profit will probably (but not for sure) further get bigger and those alternatives are also not like driving diesel vans or so. To be clear: I am not interested in any bigger car, like the actual or future M3/M4 for instance. Another detail; despite the quality of 1M I had my share with respect to dealing with BMW brand as a whole, dealer-service etc.-wise. So may or not be BMW, I am not loyal to any corporate brand.

I keep reading everything about those 3 cars and now there is real world data and reviews about the GP, usually good stuff but maybe not that stellar. Plus it is still fwd, what I mean is: just to give myself a rough idea I had a long and fast test drive in and out of the city with a 2012 Renault Megane RS Cup 265 hp yesterday, it was good but I almost cried with joy when I took back the steering wheel of my 1M. Not even single thing better than or equal with the 1M, no-nyet-nada! Torque steer, cheap materials, lack of a decent engine sound, lack of torque or power or steering feel, weird ergonomics, shaking gearbox, go name it, and that's supposed to be the best fwd car that I can probably buy. Factor it to price and it shines in everything but barely affects me at that point.

The M2 is not only distant (2014 earliest, my bet is 2015 since they won't release it same calendar year with the F80 M3) also there is a bigger X factor since I sincerely doubt that it will be as exclusive or special as the 1M. Because this time BMW knows that they can make huge gains from such vehicle and they will let the bean counting heads chime in. Having more time for development does not necessarily mean great news for the enthusiast and you know what I mean. It will sure be (at least fractionally) faster, more or similar power, newer model with more refinement, more gadgets and comfort etc. but will it be raw and special, will it have that final analog car and let's say old school/visceral sensation that 1M delivers, will it have 1M's road presence, will it make me forget the 1M, I very much doubt all of these. Also, I am afraid to get involved with BMW dealers and services yet again, who seem to be getting more and more ignorant or indifferent with every passing year.

The 4C has been the big news for me since 2 years and though I am a bit frustrated with production car's headlight, mirror and interior design details-and its price tag; they are not dealbreaker size of errors. It still is a mid engine, rwd Alfa with uniqueness and a rarely find high tech stuff like carbon chassis and body that lets the car weigh an incredible 895 kg. (dry). Alfa says it will sprint to 100 km/h in 4.5 sec. and will pass 250 km/h. So, all in all comparable dynamics to 1M if not better. It is a 2 seater coupe so not fully apples to apples but...you get the idea.

As fellow 1M owners what are your feelings toward those three that I consider as candidates for a "consolation present"?
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 03-14-2013 at 01:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
SAM135iAM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i DCT

Porsche Cayman S!!!!

No Mini GP, front wheel drive is a fail.
M2 is ugly.
Alpha 4C is ok...ugly headlights and interior.

Mexico has a new sports car that maybe worth you checking out. It's the Mastretta MXT if you haven't already heard of it.

Just my $.02.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Keep the 1M...

That's all I have to say about that!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
The number 1 rule in buying a new car is never by the first model year of a first generation model.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
Ammonia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM135iAM View Post
Porsche Cayman S!!!!

No Mini GP, front wheel drive is a fail.
M2 is ugly.
Alpha 4C is ok...ugly headlights and interior.

+1 for Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
ALEJANDRO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White 1M 2012

Porsche 911?

I guess it depends which country you're going next.

I mean, you don't want to be driving one of these cars in, say, Caracas.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
M2
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Oz, you got to give up the booze. Tomorrow you won't remember what you posted above.

...or, pursuant to the "Every Man Has Its Price" saying, you recently got an offer you definitely cannot refuse from The Enzo Man folks who are hawkeyeing your 1M (I won't cross-reference those threads for your convenience ).
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
ace11
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 1M - A1 quattro - S3

i also vote for the cayman s... its def a car that i would consider next (or as an addition)..
      03-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

A45

I have the RS265 8:08 edition, my name down on a Mini GP that arrives April (maybe a replacement for the RS, but definitely not the 1M) and have recently sold a Cayman R. The Merc sounds interesting IMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #11
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: e46M3 Ruby, Porsche Cayman GT4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
Keep the 1M...

That's all I have to say about that!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #12
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Oz, you got to give up the booze. Tomorrow you won't remember what you posted above.

...or, pursuant to the "Every Man Has Its Price" saying, you recently got an offer you definitely cannot refuse from The Enzo Man folks who are hawkeyeing your 1M (I won't cross-reference those threads for your convenience ).
Good guess Artemis, could be and can be too but I was thinking something else
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #13
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
The number 1 rule in buying a new car is never by the first model year of a first generation model.
I know and in general I totally agree with that rule. Having said that there should be exceptions to every rule, otherwise why we all ended up buying a 1M? It was an experimental car and most bought it without seeing or even reading a real review of it.

GP is half a year, 2000 total unit. 4C will first have a launch edition limited to 1000 units, 500 just for US. So, not much chance about those two.

I could wait the spyder/roadster or "GTA" version of the Alfa though

For others who suggest Cayman S, different price point since Porsche does not sell to diplomats plus I am not sold (yet) on the new electro-mechanic steering and more importantly on looks of it. I configured a Boxster and a Cayman and they reach to hillarious prices when you put everything you want/need in the car. As always with P cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #14
Axelf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 35is...

You need to keep the 1M.... To me there is not a car that comes close to it... It just feels right where ever you go in it. I will not ever be getting rid of mine... The kids will go first .... Haha
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #15
panayiotis
Rep
Drives: 2012 1M

It's a bit difficult to give opinions on cars you haven't driven, nor have exact specs of....I'd say though, just because you can make a profit, doesn't mean you should sell.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #16
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EINSER M View Post
M2
+1 M2 1/2addicts ED!!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #17
zayzay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 1M

check out the mercedes cla 45 amg. 360hp from a two liter four cylinder engine with awd.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #18
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So, you seem to really want to cash-out the difference between the cost of a 'new' car and the 'price TEM (the enzo man) is willing to pay'. Is that right?

And, you want to have the same fun for the 'normal' cost of your 1M. To essentially get your money out,... while still getting as much enjoyment and value as you are getting today in your 1M,... in a 'new' car.

Herein lies the 1M's magic: you will not find another new car that is as fun, practical, and capable for the 'normal' value of your 1M. This is part of the reason why the 'price TEM is willing to pay' is more than the normal price of your 1M. The other part has to do with the 1M being rare, and damned cool.

You will be going backwards in performance and awesome if buy a 'new' car for the 'normal' price of your existing 1M. Not to mention you'll likely loose practicality. For example, how do you transport toddlers in a Cayman?

If I could get 'price TEM is willing to pay' - I would roll it all into a 'used' car of greater performance and awesome. Like a 997.1 GT3. Only down side would be loss of practicality.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #19
SAM135iAM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlzeit View Post
So, you seem to really want to cash-out the difference between the cost of a 'new' car and the 'price TEM (the enzo man) is willing to pay'. Is that right?

And, you want to have the same fun for the 'normal' cost of your 1M. To essentially get your money out,... while still getting as much enjoyment and value as you are getting today in your 1M,... in a 'new' car.

Herein lies the 1M's magic: you will not find another new car that is as fun, practical, and capable for the 'normal' value of your 1M. This is part of the reason why the 'price TEM is willing to pay' is more than the normal price of your 1M. The other part has to do with the 1M being rare, and damned cool.

You will be going backwards in performance and awesome if buy a 'new' car for the 'normal' price of your existing 1M. Not to mention you'll likely loose practicality. For example, how do you transport toddlers in a Cayman?

If I could get 'price TEM is willing to pay' - I would roll it all into a 'used' car of greater performance and awesome. Like a 997.1 GT3. Only down side would be loss of practicality.
+1
Well said.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #20
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

If you must part with the 1M, get a Cayman S.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #21
-Z-
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black Pyrat

keep the 1M, read somewhere that the M2 will be 60K range and will depreciate much faster

you wont find better value for your money imho
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #22
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Thanks guys, really good thoughts here. Keep them pouring in, can help others too.

Especially Mahlzeit, strong logic man, I appreciate! And guess what, I was secretly checking Z8 market in different countries since a few weeks too, maybe because of what you suggest. Of course, a good Z8 is still worth a fortune. My all time favourite BMW by the way but mostly for day dreaming purposes.

About the Mercedes, I did post in the past when that car (A45) was in production stage; not my taste. I would call it or other Benz models with the same record breaking engine as the "logical choice" but not nearly as fun. If I would be after logical merely, I would prefer a M135i xdrive 5 door and sell the second car of the family too. It would serve me and my wife everywhere and in every condition for a bargain price. And I would take professional hypnotism sessions to forget about the looks of it.
Appreciate 0