BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

Why I am buying the 1M over the M3

In case some of us are forgetting the reasons for buying the 1M over the e9x M3 These are mine.

1 Overall size of the cars. The e9x M3 is almost the size of the 5er from just two generations ago.
2 Weight, the Current e9x weighs in at just under 3700lbs, while the 1M is almost 400lbs lighter.
3 Cost, add the $1300 Gas Guzzler tax to the base price of the M3 and it will be easy to get the 1M for ~$15K less.
4 Speaking of gas mileage the M3 struggles to get 20 MPG on the highway, while my 335i gets just under 30 MPG at 80+ MPH.
5 Everyone has given praise about the V8 in the M3, yet to me it's only have done. Yes it revs to 8300 RPM and has individual butterflies at each cylinder intake, Yet it doesn't even have Direct fuel Injection? If BMW would have given this engine the new modern Fuel Injection system both HP and MPG would have been better. DI is found on just about all performance cars from all other manufactures for the increase in overall engine efficiencies.
6 The Competition Package is an option on the M3 which includes the 19 wheels first seen on the E46 M3 CSL. These wheels alone are IMO some of the best looking lightweight BBS wheels ever on a production BMW and they are standard on the 1M as is the same suspension as the heavier M3.

Overall the 1M is built for enthusiast who first of all know how to drive a Stick Shift (I am very happy the aren't putting the Automatic DTC in the 1M) Due to it's lighter weight and smaller size the car will no doubt be much more responsive to driver inputs than it's bigger, heavier brother.

After almost 4 trouble free years with my 335i's N54 engine and Non Issue HPFP I for one am a huge fan of this engine. As a reminder this engine won the International Engine of the year 2 years in a row, missing the third year by 1 vote. (http://www.ukipme.com/engineoftheyear/previous04.html ) The beauty of this engine is if you choose to you can easily and cheaply tune it and still get 30 MPG on the highway, try that with the V8 in the M3.

I am looking forward to the return to the drivers car, the 1M and I can't wait to drive mine in Germany on the Autobahn.
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
MWM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

1M over M3? One word: torque. You don't have to be speeding by 30mph over the limit or more to be in the sweet spot of the engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
Boxtyp3
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 MG

Garage List
2015 F32 435  [0.00]
2002 E46 cp  [0.00]
2010 E82 135i  [0.00]
2013 E92 335i  [0.00]
I too am torn between M3 and 1M when my lease is up. I wonder what the consensus are. You made some good points OP regarding fuel efficiency but MWM has a good one too on torque since it's quite an important factor as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
blueshark
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "transportation" for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWM View Post
1M over M3? One word: torque. You don't have to be speeding by 30mph over the limit or more to be in the sweet spot of the engine.
True, and as a commuter, it's nice to have access to the power without having to make the engine scream.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 08:28 PM   #5
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

1. Lighter
2. Better looking (IMO! - I know most likely disagree)
3. More easily and affordably tuned / tracked
4. Price (way cheaper for something I want way more)

Simply a winner for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 08:42 PM   #6
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWM View Post
I left that one out but it is the most obvious from a throw you back into the seat point of view, that feeling is from torque. There is simply no substitute to loads of Torque!

My Chipped 335i and Subaru WRX STi are torque monsters in any gear!
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 08:42 PM   #7
sbike
Rep
Drives: WRX, hoping for 2 series.

Indeed, 400 lbs or so lighter, less expensive, and the same suspension, wheels, and tires makes a compelling case for the 1m.

Alas, the lack of DCT really bothers me. It adds performance, is common in the competition even in cars that delete such amenities as radio and air conditioning.

Personally I'd rather focus on car dynamics, my line, managing throttle and brakes, and keeping both hands on the steering wheel than worrying about stabbing the clutch and heel and toe.

If turbos, ABS, traction control, and friends add performance and improve the driving experience why not DCT?

Personally I'd rather have a 1M with the 135 engine and DCT than the current 1M with MT. After all this is a relatively practical car (good MPG, reasonable seat height, good visibility, back seats) and this $47k wonder car is going to make me stab the clutch pedal repeatedly in stop and go traffic? Distract me my other duties when cornering at the limit?

Sure I respect the right of others to get a MT, but it seems criminal not to give folks DCT as an option. Doubly so when all the cars it shares parts with (135 chassis, 335i engine, and m3 suspension/brakes/doors?) have DCT. It's 2011, if a computer can handle the clutch better than I, then I am happy to let it do so.

Alas, I don't see any good competition for the 1M. Some handle approximately as well... but are less practical. Or are more practical... but don't handle as well. I guess I could stick with my existing car and get a less practical car. But then I'm not driving a car I love daily. Sigh.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 09:38 PM   #8
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbike View Post
Alas, the lack of DCT really bothers me. It adds performance, is common in the competition even in cars that delete such amenities as radio and air conditioning.
I'd like the DCT too, but it's just not in the cards for the 1M. And based on comments from Dr. Segler, it doesn't appear it would be offered subsequently.

Quote:
Personally I'd rather focus on car dynamics, my line, managing throttle and brakes, and keeping both hands on the steering wheel than worrying about stabbing the clutch and heel and toe.

If turbos, ABS, traction control, and friends add performance and improve the driving experience why not DCT?
I can appreciate that. But there have been countless high performance cars released with only manual transmissions. As much as I'd like DCT, I do get a certain visceral excitement from shifting from 2nd to 3rd under heavy acceleration.

Quote:
After all this is a relatively practical car (good MPG, reasonable seat height, good visibility, back seats) and this $47k wonder car is going to make me stab the clutch pedal repeatedly in stop and go traffic? Distract me my other duties when cornering at the limit?
I get the impression from BMW this is not the car for you if it is your daily driver and you are commuting in heavy traffic.

Quote:
I guess I could stick with my existing car and get a less practical car. But then I'm not driving a car I love daily. Sigh.
Why don't you keep your existing car as a daily driver, and get the 1M for fun? That's my plan.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 11:15 PM   #9
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Are you reaffirming your decision? If so, bad choice! You are going to regret it.
      01-13-2011, 02:10 AM   #10
sbike
Rep
Drives: WRX, hoping for 2 series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
I'd like the DCT too, but it's just not in the cards for the 1M. And based on comments from Dr. Segler, it doesn't appear it would be offered subsequently.
Ugh, I'll have to track down those comments. I was hoping that if not a change in decision for the 1M which sounds like it's going to have a relatively short production cycle that the next iteration would.

Quote:
I can appreciate that. But there have been countless high performance cars released with only manual transmissions. As much as I'd like DCT, I do get a certain visceral excitement from shifting from 2nd to 3rd under heavy acceleration.
My current car is a manual and I do enjoy it. But there was no DCT option when I purchased and my MT is way nicer than your average automatic. Upshifts aren't really a bother, after all the RPMs drop which is what you want to match the next gear. The tricky part is down shift. Doubly so when your engine gets bigger relative to the car and matching revs becomes mopre desirable. Then add a car that's designed for some serious corner carving and my desire for a DCT is peaked. That and flappy paddles are cool ;-).

Quote:
Why don't you keep your existing car as a daily driver, and get the 1M for fun? That's my plan.
Well my theory for buying most things is that if you buy so expensive that you use it rarely then you bought too expensively. If I'm only going to drive it for driving fun I might as well get a less practical car. Even then it would be sad if I only managed to sneak out on the occasional weekend to make the most of the car. So ideally I'd drive a nice car that I enjoy driving unless I have an incompatible need (snow storm, large cargo, etc). Unfortunately not all my traffic jams are planned, and the rather nice interior of a BMW is where I'd rather be if I'm stuck in traffic.

Do you think most consider a 1M a car that you only drive if you primary goal is to have fun driving? Or is it a car that you drive by default unless you plan to have 5 adults/snow storm/large cargo? I've had a few friends with M3 + DCT as daily drivers and they seemed to enjoy it quite a bit.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 03:05 AM   #11
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
For me it's all about size. The short wheel base (similar to the e36 M3) combined with the wide track should make for an exhilarating driving experience.

In my opinion the 3 series has simply become too big. My current 3er is a wonderful car. It does just about everything very well, especially after upgrading the suspension. But the driving experience is a bit numb when compared to previous generation 3ers. Moreover, it's hard not to notice the bulk of the vehicle.

And despite offering better performance and handling, I found the enjoyment of driving the e92 M3 was diminished by its weight.

The dynamics of the 1M should be incredible, and make up for some of the car's mild short comings (minimal M treatment of the engine, no DCT option, limited colors). I suspect with an exhaust, tune and perhaps coilovers, the car will simply be phenomenal.

Lastly, while the S65 is undeniably a remarkable engine, I believe the N54 to be better suited for day-to-day driving and having fun on public roads at legal (or near legal) speeds.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 03:14 AM   #12
02fireman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Twistys

Pocket rocket on rails. My Cooper S on steroids!

Z4M Coupe 6MT Monaco Blue #13/36 ...Keeper...
Z4 3.0 6MT ...Keeper...
2OO2 5MT ...Keeper...
335i 6MT Montego Blue M-Sport (Retired),X535d Vermillion Red/Saddle (Retired)
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 06:22 AM   #13
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Ugh, I'll have to track down those comments. I was hoping that if not a change in decision for the 1M which sounds like it's going to have a relatively short production cycle that the next iteration would.
http://www.bimmerfile.com/2011/01/10...dr-kay-segler/

Maybe the next-gen 1M will have DCT.

Quote:
Well my theory for buying most things is that if you buy so expensive that you use it rarely then you bought too expensively. If I'm only going to drive it for driving fun I might as well get a less practical car. Even then it would be sad if I only managed to sneak out on the occasional weekend to make the most of the car. So ideally I'd drive a nice car that I enjoy driving unless I have an incompatible need (snow storm, large cargo, etc). Unfortunately not all my traffic jams are planned, and the rather nice interior of a BMW is where I'd rather be if I'm stuck in traffic.
Everyone's got different driving habits, but using the 1M as a DD seems rather impractical, to me. Especially if you've got a long commute, bad roads, bad winters, occasionally 2+ passengers, etc. An E90 M3 would probably be the better choice as an all-around DD. Of course it's $20K more and gets terrible MPG.

Quote:
Do you think most consider a 1M a car that you only drive if you primary goal is to have fun driving?
Yes, I suppose so. And that seems like it is BMW's target audience for the 1M based on web-clips, literature, interviews, etc.

Quote:
Or is it a car that you drive by default unless you plan to have 5 adults/snow storm/large cargo? I've had a few friends with M3 + DCT as daily drivers and they seemed to enjoy it quite a bit.
I'm sure most here will use it as a DD. I understand the thought that cars are meant to be used and enjoyed, but even though I baby my DD, it has gotten rather worked over in the past 5 years and 66K miles. Scrapes, dings, scratches on the wheels, more near-misses (because of heavy traffic) than I care to remember, potholes, etc. All of those things could effect a 1M that you only take out on the weekends, but your chances go way up if you're going to use it every day in traffic.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 12:39 PM   #14
Mowse
Private
Rep
Drives: Lotus Elise SC

Made my 1M deposit! a black one fer me!

I like my "sports" cars to be small and tossable. The M3 looks too big to me, like a Honda Accord coupe.

I am very excited to get this car. Selling my Lotus Elise SC to do so. That's a great sports car but it's "real world" usage is limited and I'm not a track guy.

Was going to get the Audi TT-RS but then i saw this! I like it much better and I'll save at least $10k!

Only down side is no sun roof but not that big a deal. I'll take the 35 pount weight savings off the top of the car.

Last edited by Mowse; 01-13-2011 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0