BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #67
jbass524
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutattoo View Post
I've run MRLS (Laguna Seca) twice and my times where in the 1:49 -1:51 range with a fast lap of 1:47 prior to the addition of full race pads and better tires. I'll be there in August with BMWCCA with both full race pads and new tires combine that with more track knowledge and I should be 1:44 maybe 1:43. Monterey never gets that hot so limp mode really shouldn't be an issue even with a stock car. The real issue for long sessions with a 135 at MRLS seems to be the brakes more than anything else. That track eats street pads, even good ones. I believe Randy Pobst went 1:45 in a bone stock 135 around MRLS, so as you can see I have a lot of room to grow. He could probably be sub 1:40 in my car.

Contrary to other peoples experiences with limp mode I don't have that happen very often. The times I did have it happen it was due to the BMS intake I had on the car. I removed it and haven't had an issue since. I ran two days at Thunderhill two weeks ago with day time temps at 110 degrees without having limp mode raise its head. I do have a FMIC and oil coolers so those help tremendously. For comparison in the open group at Thunderhill Spec Miatas run in the 2:11-2:14 range. My 135 will run 2:08 lap after lap without limp mode, brake fade, etc.. The key might be that I only have a slight tune on the motor, guys with other tunes seem to have a lot more issues. Just a thought I'm not sure though.

I run in the open group and I have a bit of experience so that definitely helps keep my times down, but I'm not a pro. If you learn where to push and what the car is doing underneath you, fast times are readily available in a 1 series. Brakes, cooling, tires, and suspension all need to be addressed in order to be fast. For the money I've spent I could have made another car even faster, but the 1 series does double duty pretty well and this is still a car my wife drives to work every now and then so it can't be a total track rat.

Well that is legitimate. Thank you. This helps other 135 owners to know what works based on fast driving.

I was T-hill 2 weeks ago in 110 degree heat with NCRC. Is that who you were with? I was in my daily driver white 328 as my track car was broken.

I'm amazed with only oil coolers, and an FMIC you don't have limp problems.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #68
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbass524 View Post
Well that is legitimate. Thank you. This helps other 135 owners to know what works based on fast driving.

I was T-hill 2 weeks ago in 110 degree heat with NCRC. Is that who you were with? I was in my daily driver white 328 as my track car was broken.

I'm amazed with only oil coolers, and an FMIC you don't have limp problems.
I was in the white 135, and ran both days in the open group. It was hotter than hell, but no limp mode and I ran flat out the whole time. On day two I managed to set my personal best there at 2:06.93 without traffic. I switched to full race pads and R-S3's for the second day and man what a difference those tires make.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #69
jbass524
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
I was in the white 135, and ran both days in the open group. It was hotter than hell, but no limp mode and I ran flat out the whole time. On day two I managed to set my personal best there at 2:06.93 without traffic. I switched to full race pads and R-S3's for the second day and man what a difference those tires make.
That's a great time.

I'm still so impressed you had no limp modes. The OCs and FMIC are your only mods?

BTW, I think Spec Miatas do a 2:08 at T-hill.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #70
mbintx
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135i, Miata, and a truck

Ah, this thread is back...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #71
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbass524 View Post
That's a great time.

I'm still so impressed you had no limp modes. The OCs and FMIC are your only mods?

BTW, I think Spec Miatas do a 2:08 at T-hill.
With the right driver they can run a 2:08 with the bypass. I'm not sure if they go over the hill they can get under 2:10 though. With the bypass it's a much closer "race" because they don't even slow down. I've caught air over the inside there and I'm a bit skittish about repeating that episode. I did it with a student inside too, lol.

The best thing about the Miata's at Thunderhill is they can run multiple lines around the track and still have near identical times. For me I have to hit my marks just right, but it's repeatable at least.

As far as engine mods go I do have the Dinan Tune but that's it. I have replaced pretty much everything that has to do with suspension, brakes, and the diff though.

Last edited by blutattoo; 07-15-2013 at 07:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 08:43 AM   #72
wjk_glynn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 C2S Coupé

Quote:
...I do have a FMIC and oil coolers so those help tremendously... The key might be that I only have a slight tune on the motor
I'm guessing the tune is a Dinan stage-1? But what FMIC and OC are you running?

Thanks.

Karl.
      07-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #73
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjk_glynn View Post
I'm guessing the tune is a Dinan stage-1? But what FMIC and OC are you running?

Thanks.

Karl.
I have the Dinan Stage 3 tune, which isn't as aggressive as a JB4 or procede.

The FMIC and OC are both Dinan as well
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 10:30 PM   #74
wjk_glynn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 C2S Coupé

Quote:
I have the Dinan Stage 3 tune, which isn't as aggressive as a JB4 or procede.

The FMIC and OC are both Dinan as well
Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

I've only just moved over to BMW after tracking a 944 S2 for a few years at Laguna Seca, Sears Point and Thunderhill.

So I'm very curious to see what you've done to "harden" your 135i for the track - particularly a headache free setup on the motor side which is what you appear to have.

Karl.
      07-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #75
02rsxpilot
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
2013 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
2002 Acura RSX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb135is View Post
Interesting. If double duty were my goal, I'd have definitely searched for an e46 m. With an M you have to pay the premium for a babied car.
I looked for several months, never found more than one or two E46s that qualified as "babied" and those were usually on the other side of the country. Even harder to find if you wanted the proper manual, as the SMG is much more common on the second-hand market.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #76
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02rsxpilot View Post
I looked for several months, never found more than one or two E46s that qualified as "babied" and those were usually on the other side of the country. Even harder to find if you wanted the proper manual, as the SMG is much more common on the second-hand market.
You're right. I cross shopped my 1er with used E46 Ms, and while I didn't dedicate full attention to the search, it was clear that it was going to be a months-long, not days-long process if I wanted to get into the right E46. Not to mention that the types of cars I would have considered buying were priced less than 10 grand less than I got a new-with-warranty 1er.

BUT when I take the 1er to the track, I will feel the wrath of that line of thinking as it pushes into corners and possibly limps out!

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #77
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

I've been tracking an N55 for two years w/o ever having an issue with going into limp mode. If you are worried about the limp mode, just run with the heat set on max and close the center vents and point the others out the window. Drops temps by about 10 degrees on track.
      07-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #78
turbowolfe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: whiteout

Garage List
1987 911  [0.00]
2011 135i  [0.00]
I also have just recently started (this year) taking my car out on track days. I am relatively new, and perhaps don't push the car quite as hard as Focus/Blutatto, however, I have not hit limp issues at all on my N55. I am completely mod-less with respect to motor, I just have suspension and brake mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
I've been tracking an N55 for two years w/o ever having an issue with going into limp mode. If you are worried about the limp mode, just run with the heat set on max and close the center vents and point the others out the window. Drops temps by about 10 degrees on track.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 04:45 PM   #79
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowolfe View Post
I also have just recently started (this year) taking my car out on track days. I am relatively new, and perhaps don't push the car quite as hard as Focus/Blutatto, however, I have not hit limp issues at all on my N55. I am completely mod-less with respect to motor, I just have suspension and brake mods.
Its mostly tuned cars that have these issues.

My cars biggest short comings on the track is the weight and seats. It is a little porker and I am dying to get race seats, harness and harness bar.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #80
bmw4life27
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

My 13' just arrived at the dealer. I do plan on tracking the car and was considering the JB4 Stage 2 but I am hesitant because I do not want any limp mode issues. I have searched and found nothing.

If anyone has any experience with this, please chime in.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 07:07 AM   #81
turbowolfe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: whiteout

Garage List
1987 911  [0.00]
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw4life27
My 13' just arrived at the dealer. I do plan on tracking the car and was considering the JB4 Stage 2 but I am hesitant because I do not want any limp mode issues. I have searched and found nothing.

If anyone has any experience with this, please chime in.

Thanks!
As long as you do the proper cooling mods with it you should be ok. Get a intercooler/oil cooler and your chances of limp drop.

That said, any time you increase boost/power with either a tune or piggy back like jb4, you are going to make the car run hotter. Which is why my car has stock power for now. I prioritized suspension/brakes over power. One less thing to worry about.

Additional cooling doesn't hurt, I'll be getting an ic/oc this off season.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 07:43 AM   #82
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

When running on track...disable the tune. More boost = more heat = more chance of limp mode. This car makes plenty of power and tq for track. Invest in bushing, dampers and weight reduction. Your engine will last longer and you'll be a better driver because of it. Power isn't everything. I routinely pass e9x M3's like they're sitting still through the corners.
      07-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #83
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

Good info here. Thanks all. First time I take mine out will be bone stock. It's been years since I was on track, and back then I was beating up my very well set up R53, so the E82 will be a whole other learning curve.

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 11:04 PM   #84
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Tracked the 1'er at Streets of Willow (CCW config) a few days ago. No limp mode. Here's a numbers breakdown:

Car: 135i 6MT bone stock + 225/255 StarSpec Z1
Track: SOW - CCW
Best time: 1.34.1
Peak Oil Temp: 280*F
Aver. Oil Temp: 260*F
Coolant Temp: ~210-220*F (no coolant problems)

First time running Streets in a CCW config, and first trackday with the 1'er (lots of AutoX, canyon exp.). I was getting progressively faster each session, and I feel with another event under my belt, I will be putting up 1.32.x in the near future. Understeer wasn't that bad, especially coming from my AX background, where the 1'er is pretty pathetic. Number one issue was BRAKES. I could smell them on the high speed stops, and the pedal got quite soft, so I was going easier than I could have been. Also, those 280* oil temps scared me into not quite giving it as much as I had, let's call it, 8-9/10th's driving for me. After each session, I would leave the pit and drive slowly back and forth down the Willow Springs access road to get some air going into the brakes and pump them a few times to get the pedal back, and to cool the oil down. Seemed to work well enough, and once oil temps got down to ~220*, usually after about 10-15 minutes of driving, I felt good enough to bring the car back to grid, and park it with the hood up. Still need to inspect the front pads and at a minimum, put better brake fluid into the car, will likely pick up a set of more track-friendly front pads (the rears were sufficient enough for my level of talent). Also been eyeing those Ti shims that people have talked about, will need to get the new pads and take a few measurements while I'm down there. With the camber pins popped, my car is at -0.3* camber up front, yet tire wear was looking EXCELLENT. I kid you not, the shoulders get more hurt AutoXing (rougher pavement?). The stock suspension didn't even cope that bad, though I'm sure 1M/M3 bushings and better dampers will be in my future, along with wider wheels/tires. Have a set of Vorshlag camber plates that I need to install, but have been lazy. Also, no oil burning, indicator still reads the exact same. This is all very unorganized, and I'm sure that there is a lot that I am forgetting, but good to note none the less.
Cliffs: Cars that were "beaten" by a bone stock 135i with an average driver:
- Boss 302
- Modded Camaro SS
- Prepped MS Miata
- Every FRS/BRZ regardless of mods
- Porsche 911 of all variants (S, GT3, etc.)

Anyone ever run their 135i at SOW-CCW? Would like to know what a decent time is. I last ran it CW in my old Mazda, so CCW #'s are new to me. I would like to believe that with a bit more seat time, and brakes that weren't on fire, that I could hang on to those E90 M3's that were tearing it up out there.
Streets of Willow: 1:27.7 CW 11/15/15; 1:29.5 CCW 8/15/15 |||| Autoclub Speedway ROVAL (CCW): 1.52.6 - 12/2/17
Willow Springs - Big Willow (CW): 1:35.8 - 3/31/18 |||| Buttonwillow #13 (CW): 1:59.3 1/27/18
https://www.facebook.com/JakeStumphRacing |||| http://www.youtube.com/user/RaceMeMZ3
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 12:03 AM   #85
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_Extract View Post
Tracked the 1'er at Streets of Willow (CCW config) a few days ago. No limp mode. Here's a numbers breakdown:

First time running Streets in a CCW config, and first trackday with the 1'er (lots of AutoX, canyon exp.). I was getting progressively faster each session, and I feel with another event under my belt, I will be putting up 1.32.x in the near future. Understeer wasn't that bad, especially coming from my AX background, where the 1'er is pretty pathetic. Number one issue was BRAKES. I could smell them on the high speed stops, and the pedal got quite soft, so I was going easier than I could have been. Also, those 280* oil temps scared me into not quite giving it as much as I had, let's call it, 8-9/10th's driving for me. After each session, I would leave the pit and drive slowly back and forth down the Willow Springs access road to get some air going into the brakes and pump them a few times to get the pedal back, and to cool the oil down. Seemed to work well enough, and once oil temps got down to ~220*, usually after about 10-15 minutes of driving, I felt good enough to bring the car back to grid, and park it with the hood up. Still need to inspect the front pads and at a minimum, put better brake fluid into the car, will likely pick up a set of more track-friendly front pads (the rears were sufficient enough for my level of talent). Also been eyeing those Ti shims that people have talked about, will need to get the new pads and take a few measurements while I'm down there. With the camber pins popped, my car is at -0.3* camber up front, yet tire wear was looking EXCELLENT. I kid you not, the shoulders get more hurt AutoXing (rougher pavement?). The stock suspension didn't even cope that bad, though I'm sure 1M/M3 bushings and better dampers will be in my future, along with wider wheels/tires. Have a set of Vorshlag camber plates that I need to install, but have been lazy. Also, no oil burning, indicator still reads the exact same. This is all very unorganized, and I'm sure that there is a lot that I am forgetting, but good to note none the less.
- Boss 302
- Modded Camaro SS
- Prepped MS Miata

Anyone ever run their 135i at SOW-CCW? Would like to know what a decent time is. I last ran it CW in my old Mazda, so CCW #'s are new to me. I would like to believe that with a bit more seat time, and brakes that weren't on fire, that I could hang on to those E90 M3's that were tearing it up out there.
WOW fantastic times for bone stock 1er, keep up the good work, and keep us posted on your future times
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 01:05 AM   #86
bmw4life27
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

At what oil temp does the car go into limp mode? How do you get the car out of limp mode besides letting it cool down?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #87
wheresmylsd33
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_Extract View Post

- Boss 302
- Modded Camaro SS
- Prepped MS Miata

Hey there Ginger,

I had a very similar experience when I ran ccw at streets a few months ago. My car was completely stock except for tires.

The body roll and understeer actually seemed less pronounced than on tight canyon driving but the brakes were definitely a big problem. Mine were so faded by the end of my second session that I could push them almost to the floor before the car started slowing. Totally cooked my fluid. The car has more than enough power but the questionable brakes made me drive with more caution later on. I never had any limp issues although the oil did get around 260 F.

It was my first time on a track and I ran a bit slower than you at 1.34.3. With better brakes and coil overs, I'm hoping to drop it by a couple seconds.

I was surprised by the power in this car as it had no problem keeping up with more powerful cars on the straights, often passing them in turns. (boss 302's, a gt500, various 911's, a couple vettes(non zo6), nismo 370z's, and a couple e46 m3's). Granted the drivers were not the most skilled.

I was not as fortunate as you were with tire wear. My right front tire chunked out and got pretty destroyed around the roughly paved, long sweeping left turn after the straight. Maybe my technique is poor? or the understeer was just too much for the tires?

Anyway, (sorry for the rambling) I'm heading back to streets this saturday with kw v2's that I hope will make a difference. It's night and day on the street (the public streets) so I'm hoping it will translate into faster laps. Maybe you and some other addicts will make it out.

my first post.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #88
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresmylsd33 View Post
Hey there Ginger,

I had a very similar experience when I ran ccw at streets a few months ago. My car was completely stock except for tires.

The body roll and understeer actually seemed less pronounced than on tight canyon driving but the brakes were definitely a big problem. Mine were so faded by the end of my second session that I could push them almost to the floor before the car started slowing. Totally cooked my fluid. The car has more than enough power but the questionable brakes made me drive with more caution later on. I never had any limp issues although the oil did get around 260 F.

It was my first time on a track and I ran a bit slower than you at 1.34.3. With better brakes and coil overs, I'm hoping to drop it by a couple seconds.

I was surprised by the power in this car as it had no problem keeping up with more powerful cars on the straights, often passing them in turns. (boss 302's, a gt500, various 911's, a couple vettes(non zo6), nismo 370z's, and a couple e46 m3's). Granted the drivers were not the most skilled.

I was not as fortunate as you were with tire wear. My right front tire chunked out and got pretty destroyed around the roughly paved, long sweeping left turn after the straight. Maybe my technique is poor? or the understeer was just too much for the tires?

Anyway, (sorry for the rambling) I'm heading back to streets this saturday with kw v2's that I hope will make a difference. It's night and day on the street (the public streets) so I'm hoping it will translate into faster laps. Maybe you and some other addicts will make it out.

my first post.
Welcome! Good luck, and tear it up out there! I will not be out for another event for a few months most likely. Once I get better fluid/pads on the car, and my schedule cooperates, I will be back out shooting 1.32.x
Streets of Willow: 1:27.7 CW 11/15/15; 1:29.5 CCW 8/15/15 |||| Autoclub Speedway ROVAL (CCW): 1.52.6 - 12/2/17
Willow Springs - Big Willow (CW): 1:35.8 - 3/31/18 |||| Buttonwillow #13 (CW): 1:59.3 1/27/18
https://www.facebook.com/JakeStumphRacing |||| http://www.youtube.com/user/RaceMeMZ3
Appreciate 0