BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-22-2013, 11:33 PM   #133
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by themellly View Post
Where the hell do you get your so called facts. No 1 series weighs more then a 5 series. I dont come here and bash you on your cars so don't try to bash mine with bs "facts" you pull out of your ass.. lol what a moron
Quote:
Still not true, still not even close to being true, never will be true.
Gee lets check BMW's website. Oh look, you're an idiot. What a surprise.

Keep it up, you are just digging yourself a bigger and bigger hole.
      04-22-2013, 11:35 PM   #134
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
lol at the ADD comments and just 5 of us posting.

I don't mind defending the 128i, the car satisfies my cravings ever since i got the CDV. Begin able to do the disa conversions and m3 arms etc stuff is just icing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavidDasselhoff View Post
I need to post more, and I will.
Definitely make your car breathe better, just commit to a budget. I agree about msport pieces, one or 2 of them really set off the car. Im always happy to see my sideskirts.
SuperSprint only option may be just an alternative to DISA. I am sure Stig can vouch for just headers being so much fun.
I'm sure Evolve may be the options for the tune with their ability to tweak the o2 sensor readings, without turning them off like others do

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNTDRV View Post
I'm new to this site(and BMW's) so once i figure most of the acronyms I can only hope not to sound too confused.....
welcome to the forum. feel free to PM me, I'll let you know anything 128i related and i'm local to you

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is

Last edited by andrey_gta; 04-22-2013 at 11:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 11:43 PM   #135
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Instead of deleting the res I might just step up to headers. Does anyone know about Cali smog regulations or thrown codes with JUST SS headers + a PE combo (..I don't want too much sound..)? Turner has stainless steel SS headers for ~$1700 and TheSt|G's reviews and write-ups have me pretty much sold. Actually, fuck that video in your review, I was instantly sold. SuperSprint should be compensating you for it.

Any comments or advice on what to do next would be appreciated. I'm done with cosmetics and out of warranty, time to get dirty.
Thanks!

Might want to try headers alone first. I found them to be pretty perfect. Play around with the golf tee mod with them too.

You will get a cat code until you get the Evolve tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNTDRV View Post
I'm new to this site(and BMW's) so once i figure most of the acronyms I can only hope not to sound too confused.....
Just ask!

Quote:
Sounds like I definitely need to go Evolve, but it also seems like the tune needs to be custom. Can I get away with their basic tune or should my car be sent away? Ideally, if I simply stick to the 3-stage and and headers, I'd like to just request the tune the TheSt|G received. Either way I should probably be asking Evolve this lol.
Nothing gets sent aside from a data file.

You get their software, download your car's data, send it to them with your typed up requests, they send back the changes, you update your car via the software again and you are done!
      04-23-2013, 12:17 AM   #136
themellly
Alice in Wonderland
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i e88

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Gee lets check BMW's website. Oh look, you're an idiot. What a surprise.

Keep it up, you are just digging yourself a bigger and bigger hole.

Weight
Unladen weight – Automatic transmission 3814 lbs
Weight distribution, front/rear—
Automatic transmission49.4/50.6 %

^^ thats the correct facts about a 5 series. Enough talking out of you. u are beyond ignorant. goodbye
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 06:10 AM   #137
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Weight

^^ thats the correct facts about a 5 series. Enough talking out of you. u are beyond ignorant. goodbye
You realize the pics he posted and included numbers were from BMW directly....

I'm assuming you're pulling your numbers from the F10 5 series. The e60 5 series is a better comparison, given that they're the same generation of car.

The fact that your car is significantly heavier than any 5 series is... awkward. Didn't realize you had a vert before!

Last edited by Obioban; 04-23-2013 at 06:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 06:15 AM   #138
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Hey there, welcome! I used a lot in my post without realizing, let me help.

DISA: 3-stage intake manifold. It uses DISA valves and that's about as much as I know about it haha.
PE: Performance exhaust from BMW.
SS: SuperSprint; company that makes really good headers.
Evolve: company that makes a really good tune.

All of them = fun.

Sorry but I'm pretty ignorant on smog checks. First one after 5 years and then one every 2? Is that what you mean? Should I wait to have the car smoged before buying headers and installing? I might not get a tune right off the bat.

Sounds like I definitely need to go Evolve, but it also seems like the tune needs to be custom. Can I get away with their basic tune or should my car be sent away? Ideally, if I simply stick to the 3-stage and and headers, I'd like to just request the tune the TheSt|G received. Either way I should probably be asking Evolve this lol.
The stig is currently running a generic evolve tune for DISA/headers/93 octane.

Evolve can remotely dyno tune cars as well. This is more useful if you have a highly unusual setup (aka, more than headers/DISA). Regardless, we're still probably going to throw her on a dyno this summer and see if evolve can't find somewhere to squeeze a couple more ponies out.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #139
KNTDRV
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i SGM 6MT(gone now)

....Thanks for the welcome folks!
I didn't realize how passionate BMW enthusiasts are their vehicles. I guess it's no different than anything else.
On that note...all I can add right now it that I Love my 128i more today than yesterday but less than tomorrow

Last edited by KNTDRV; 04-23-2013 at 08:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #140
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Weight

Ignorant is an amazing word. Without fail people always seem to frame it in some variety of poorly constructed sentence that backfires on them. In this case the usage of "u" stands out rather glaringly.

E6x was built from 2003-2010. E8x was built from 2004-2013. It is your contemporary car.

If you want to look at non contemporary cars you could say that your car is heavier than every generation of 5 series except the F10.
      04-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #141
Kontra
Private
Rep
Drives: N51 128i

and thank you melly for entertaining me at work

Ever since seeing the stigs thread on the SS Headers, I almost don't want to do anything to my car until I have that done. Previous owner of my car basically got bone stock, with the exception of the USB connector, heated seats (manual), and sunroof... but so far the plan this summer is SS Headers + Intake + Tune for a birthday present to myself in late July! Headlights and bumpers would also be nice but I'm 20 and in college, the budget isn't to large.

I'm also pretty scared I have an issue with my clutch, with only myself to blame. In short I dropped the clutch with friends in the car, instantly knew I was dumb as a rock for doing so, torched it basically. Learned my lesson real fast, this was probably 2 weeks after I got the car, first car I've owned that was a stick... still fuming with myself for it. Posted a thread a few days ago that I have an issue when slightly on the clutch, I hear a squeaky sound, similar to braking, at very low power, goes away once I'm fully on the clutch. Happens on occasion, pretty sure I could recreate it at the dealer I just don't have the funds right now to fix it, but I also don't want to cause any bigger problems... eeeeek
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #142
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Headers sound much better in person. Movie does it no justice.

Sounds like you might have toasted the throw out bearing.
      04-29-2013, 11:52 PM   #143
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
e36---> e82 128i

I cant be the only one to see this connection
Attached Images

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 12:08 AM   #144
Kontra
Private
Rep

Maybe if I try to see it that way, but an e46 for sure haha

I've also had a friend of mine in my car a few times. I've mentioned to him I think something is effed with my transmission, or something is just not right (due to this sound I'm hearing) He's telling me its in my head and I'm just over analyzing the car since its still new to me... But I'm getting closer and closer to the point where I just bring it in for service and cry at the bill.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 07:18 AM   #145
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Kontra,

Don't take this wrong but you sound a bit like my late wife. People who do not have a lot of experience with cars get worried about sounds that don't bother people with more experience. If your buddy has more experience, you might want to listen to him and just enjoy your car. If not, then it doesn't much matter what you guys think. You need the dealer or a good independent to drive your car and let you know if they think it needs anything. It takes experience to know when noises are an issue and when they aren't - and even then it is just and educated guess.

Reving the car and dumping the clutch is a sudden jolt on everything. I could break lots of things. But if the car is running it did no catastrophic damage. Does the clutch engage at about the same point as it did before? If not, damage to the clutch lining could have occurred. Noise that only happens when you have the clutch disengaged from the engine suggests throw out bearing damage but that seems unlikely. To me, the biggest possibility is that nothing is wrong except you feel guilty for abusing your car. I rountinely rev mine up to the 2K-3K range and quickly engage the clutch when I want to go quickly (like at the start of an autocross). I've detected no damage. I do not go higher to avoid damage and because I get the symbol indicating the stability control engaged sometimes. It seems this rpm range is about all the tires can hold.

My bimmer is far from my first manual transmission. I drove my manual transmission SUV today. I tow with it and it is still on the original clutch at over 75K miles. All my vehicles get driven lightly most of the time but are expected to do more when I decide it is required. A quick start should be within the capabilities of any car. It shouldn't hurt anything.

Jim
      04-30-2013, 08:07 AM   #146
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

You guys all suck. I am the best! haha....

I have an e36 m3 racecar, I can't wait to turn my 128 into a racecar. Super similar in many ways. Dimensions, weight and all are very similar. That's why I picked up my 128. I knew in 3-4 years it will be in the racing ranks since I drive 150miles a day.

CTSCC ST 128s are testament of what you can do with that "little" N52. They are north of 300hp. In a considerably light car. You can easily get this car, without going crazy like replacing glass and body panels to 2800 dry.

Until then. This bickering shit is pointless.
      04-30-2013, 09:20 AM   #147
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontra View Post
Maybe if I try to see it that way, but an e46 for sure haha

I've also had a friend of mine in my car a few times. I've mentioned to him I think something is effed with my transmission, or something is just not right (due to this sound I'm hearing) He's telling me its in my head and I'm just over analyzing the car since its still new to me... But I'm getting closer and closer to the point where I just bring it in for service and cry at the bill.
I do have some small metallic muffled clunk after i disengage the gear into neutral. Never thought much of it. Clutch still has all the right engagement points

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #148
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
e36---> e82 128i
Andrey, I've always thought that the 128i (especially the front bumper w/ rectangular fogs) recalled the E36 coupe. ABout the same size overall, too.
      05-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #149
Kontra
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Kontra,

Don't take this wrong but ...

Jim
It could be me over analyzing it but I'm pretty sure I caused a problem haha, just a hunch on this one. I'm going easy on myself when I say I 'toasted' the clutch, not like that corvette clutch burnout video, but along the same lines where it was clearly not tires spinning and it was my clutch not grabbing. Before I realized it was all too late, a nice warped/wobbly/shaky feeling for the next 40-50 miles was a nice reminder. Lesson learned to say the least. I'm going to bring her in when I can afford a clutch replacement in a month or so.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #150
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
e36---> e82 128i

I've been saying it since I got interested in the car. From a former E36 M3 owner, it just feels like a modernized version with a few upgrades. It's amusing how even the power mods(like the intake manifold from a different model of the same engine) are identical.

I do miss the mechanical throttle cable and increased steering feel of the E36 though. LSD too, but that's fixable.
      06-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #151
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Hey guys
I had an idea to bring value to mostly the e8x 1er N52 engined community, since I see this area becoming a niche for former e36 guys and overlaps e9x n52 stuff.

I have two ideas - Facebook group and a pet project to compare tunes.

The Facebook group would help 128i guys mostly to organize meet ups and chat about stuff that forums like N##boost does.

The project is just an effort to objectively compare tunes via a single dyno on a single car ( Dont worry, I love my Evolve tune). To be partially funded with kickstarter donations.

let me know, if its something that interests you

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #152
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Why Facebook as opposed to a running thread here?
      06-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #153
Dafttt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT

There's like 6 of us. We should practically be on a first name basis by this point.

I actually like the idea, but I agree with St|G. Why go somewhere else? (I don't use fb, for example. I deleted that cancer.)

We already use this N52 engine board as an all purpose 128i board, I think we should elaborate on that.

A comprehensive list of tune comparisons? Yeah that needs to happen.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #154
Hops128i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i, manual, sport pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Auto View Post
A comprehensive list of tune comparisons? Yeah that needs to happen.
yes! that's a great idea. Maybe it just me, but it seems like there's so much more n52 tuning examples here than a couple years ago.
Appreciate 0