02-27-2011, 03:35 AM   #1
darkvaderr
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1M ordered

Spec'in the 1

Hey fellow addicts,
quick intro, put a deposit on a 1M at my dealer last October, and I've been religiously visiting this site ever since. I got confirmation last week that a 1M has been secured for me so I decided to finally join and start posting!

Anyways, now that allocations are beginning, how are you guys spec'in your cars?

I've decided to opt for the Executive package; even though the only thing I want is the Comfort Access, I just feel that a 50 grand car without keyless entry and start is ridiculous, not to mention, having it on past and present BMW's I don't think it's something I could live without; even if it ends up costing me $4,900 for the package .
I am however, completely stuck on whether or not to get the iDrive.

Pros:
-Added functionality of Navigation, ease of music navigation, and Blackberry office
-Makes the car look more upscale with the screen and iDrive controller
-Re-sale value (maybe)

Cons:
-My Android phones provide Google Navigation that I find amazing, which negates the need for Navigation in the car
-I find that the dash of the car is more sleek without the screen
-If I end up keeping the car for a long time, not only is the iDrive going to be out of date pretty quick, but eventually if it goes bad, I figure it will be a pain to fix

Anyone care to help sway me one way or the other?

And what options is everyone getting and why?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 04:17 AM   #2
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkvaderr View Post
Hey fellow addicts,
quick intro, put a deposit on a 1M at my dealer last October, and I've been religiously visiting this site ever since. I got confirmation last week that a 1M has been secured for me so I decided to finally join and start posting!

Anyways, now that allocations are beginning, how are you guys spec'in your cars?

I've decided to opt for the Executive package; even though the only thing I want is the Comfort Access, I just feel that a 50 grand car without keyless entry and start is ridiculous, not to mention, having it on past and present BMW's I don't think it's something I could live without; even if it ends up costing me $4,900 for the package .
I am however, completely stuck on whether or not to get the iDrive.

Pros:
-Added functionality of Navigation, ease of music navigation, and Blackberry office
-Makes the car look more upscale with the screen and iDrive controller
-Re-sale value (maybe)

Cons:
-My Android phones provide Google Navigation that I find amazing, which negates the need for Navigation in the car
-If I end up keeping the car for a long time, not only is the iDrive going to be out of date pretty quick, but eventually if it goes bad, I figure it will be a pain to fix

Anyone care to help sway me one way or the other?

And what options is everyone getting and why?
I'll take your cons. the nav housing isn't exactly state o/t art imo

Last edited by Grey Dove; 02-27-2011 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 05:17 AM   #3
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Cons:
Using the built-in navigation is typically easier, safer (no fiddling with the phone) that trying to use the one on your smart phone. I use the Garmin app (very good) in my iPhone and I also have built-in Nav for my car. 9 times out of 10, I'd rather be using the one in my car. It's faster, the voice instructions are better, screen is bigger, etc.

Quote:
This much, I'll give you.
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the Nav maps can be updated. I've had my DD for 5+ years and I just updated the maps to the 2011 version for $100. I never worry about it breaking, either. There's a lot more expensive parts of the car that will probably break first

And as far as resale value goes, I for one will never buy another car without built-in Nav. The convenience is just too nice. My phone does the job in a pinch, but it's not the same experience.

Last edited by SamS; 02-27-2011 at 05:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 05:26 AM   #4
oman135
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

for me iDrive is a must !
      02-27-2011, 05:53 AM   #5
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

idrive is a too expensive option for my liking. And the one M is a fun car for me. No need for navi there. I buy a navi if i would do a lot of miles in a 320D.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 06:07 AM   #6
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

iDrive FTW, because it integrates:

- radio
- CD
- MP3
- bluetooth phone with address list, and operation via steering wheel
- navigation (also in tunnels, via steering and wheel input)
- onboard computer

- no messing around with antennas, power cables, finding your location at boot time, hiding it when you're parked in unsafe area's etc of a portable navigation.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 07:33 AM   #7
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

Upgraded stereo. I'm leaving the computer at home when "i" drive.
I think you will find a very wide range of options being chosen.
      02-27-2011, 08:22 PM   #8
EA51 LAY
Ex-Blighty
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 MINI JCW, AW 1M Enroute

I had originally ordered both Exec + Nav but irritatingly the only things I really want are Sirius and HK!!! Plus with the 'history' of higher rates from BMW FS on the M range (2008 M3's aside), I have too many other costs other than just my car to consider - so by saving over $7000.00 it'll keep this vehicle attainable to me.

The boss (her indoors) has suggested to me that if I get the car I should plan to keep it for a really long time.................so after working at the Autoshow this week and meeting some interesting people with various opinions and aftermarket options, I have decided to get a naked/stripped car with free paint (preferred colour for me anyway) and then get an aftermarket sound setup if it drives me crazy going without!!!

My old mans philosophy is that the more tech there is the more there is to go wrong - so the less I have to go wrong in it, will hopefully equate to minimal issues out of warranty. They are after all only mechanical!!

Remember guys n gals Canadian cars at least can have warranty extended upto 7 years and 200,000kms

Last edited by EA51 LAY; 02-27-2011 at 08:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 08:58 PM   #9
EA51 LAY
Ex-Blighty
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 MINI JCW, AW 1M Enroute

Without Exec im actually grateful to not be getting electric seats. I find that with coupes you just cant sit low enough! 1 coupe, 3 coupe, M3 coupe etc etc none of the above's driver's seats 'plant me' in the car like my M3 sedan that I had before did.

I sat in a 128i coupe in the showroom at work (with manual seats) and it really dumps you on the floor - which is exactly the setup I love anyway, yay!!

Does anyone else find this, or is it just me??
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #10
darkvaderr
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1M ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA51 LAY View Post
Without Exec im actually grateful to not be getting electric seats. I find that with coupes you just cant sit low enough! 1 coupe, 3 coupe, M3 coupe etc etc none of the above's driver's seats 'plant me' in the car like my M3 sedan that I had before did.

I sat in a 128i coupe in the showroom at work (with manual seats) and it really dumps you on the floor - which is exactly the setup I love anyway, yay!!

Does anyone else find this, or is it just me??
This is actually something I was worried about. My old 330ci had manual seats and would recline all the way until they touched the rear seats however my gf's 328 vert has power seats and hardly recline at all! I've read that its a difference between coupe vs convertible not manual vs power, but I've yet to have anyone confirm that for me.

I'm leaning towards no iDrive right now because if I do end up selling, I fear that this will be the last of BMWs not overloaded with tech standard, like how the M5 is rumored to be auto only, electronic handbrake, iDrive standard, stoplight engine shutoff, etc. I worry this will be the last manual transmission, manual handbrake M car; and thus I'm thinking I should go as "simple" as possible.
But ofcourse I still feel for a 60 grand car, atleast with iDrive it looks like almost that expensive a car
Appreciate 0