BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
aottaviano1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Sonar(Spyder) vs. Depo Headlight Quality

I am looking to pull the trigger on upgrading the halogens from my 128i soon. I prefer the look of the Sonar as they do not have the "bug eye" look of the Depo headlights. I think it is because the projector bulb on the Depo's is in front of the the housing. However I see on this forum that most people strongly prefer the Depo's. Any comments on the quality of the Sonar(spyder)? Thanks in advance for the responses.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aottaviano1 View Post
I am looking to pull the trigger on upgrading the halogens from my 128i soon. I prefer the look of the Sonar as they do not have the "bug eye" look of the Depo headlights. I think it is because the projector bulb on the Depo's is in front of the the housing. However I see on this forum that most people strongly prefer the Depo's. Any comments on the quality of the Sonar(spyder)? Thanks in advance for the responses.
The DEPOs are the same brand that makes your OEM halogen headlights. If you want OEM go with DEPOs which are direct plug and play! Sonar's have a ton of wires and you have to do a little extra to get them to be plug and play.

Check out my thread

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809467
      03-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
Ashock
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 128i 6MT in Monaco Blue

I actually went for the SONARs. It really depends on preference as I preferred the corners of the Sonars because it looked more like the facelifted E90 LCI headlights. And no bug eyed look on the projectors. The build quality of the Sonars seem decent. The extra wires can be annoying but you increase your flexibility on how you want to wire them. Other than the wires for the Halos, everything else is pretty much plug and play.

Keep in mind that with both headlights, you're going to need to upgrade the Halo rings if you want that bring SMD LED look like Satalite's in his other thread. Although I think the DEPO V2's already come with the upgraded LEDs but I don't think anyone here has bought those yet.

Had I waited a bit more, I would have jumped on the DEPO V2's so I wouldn't have to spend extra to get the LED HALOs upgraded.

Last edited by Ashock; 03-06-2013 at 01:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
aottaviano1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Ashock, thanks for the great info. The Depo V2's do look nice. How bad are the halo rings on the Sonars? I don't need for them to blind people but just enough so they get the point. How is the build quality / fit? Any condensation? Thanks very much.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
Ashock
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 128i 6MT in Monaco Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by aottaviano1 View Post
Ashock, thanks for the great info. The Depo V2's do look nice. How bad are the halo rings on the Sonars? I don't need for them to blind people but just enough so they get the point. How is the build quality / fit? Any condensation? Thanks very much.
I haven't put mine on yet because I'm still deciding if I want to get the rings refitted with some SMD LEDs. It's quite pricey so I'm shopping around for a local guy to do it if the price is right. They are not bad though, definitely visible at night. But for daytime use as DRLs, they may not be enough on a bright day.

Check out this member's install. He kept the original rights. I think the AEs gets the point across in most cases.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725428
Appreciate 0