BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-13-2014, 07:54 PM   #23
halfhalo
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E88 135i

Garage List
2017 BMW F83  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Not to mention the woofers for L7 can be unscrewed from the enclosure whereas non-L7 were glued together.
My Hifi are bolted in, not glued. That changed in later model years.
      12-13-2014, 09:34 PM   #24
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfhalo View Post
My Hifi are bolted in, not glued. That changed in later model years.
LOL I realized I might be off so double checked my facts and deleted my post but you beat me =(
      12-14-2014, 12:08 PM   #25
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Gray Metallic M3

Ok...so, i spoke to the installer, this is what they said. They may opt for a multi channel amp.

High level input from factory wires either before or after stock amp. We will only use what signal is coming in because doing high level / low level filters input directly from amp. New amp has high level / low level input w cross over filters. These mid subs frequencys are lows but not as low as other subs. Well do tuning right front amp, adjust gain, phase & low pass filter.

2018 Champaign Quartz F31 Sports Wagon | BMW 624 wheels | KW Street Coil Overs | DINAN Stage 1 v2.0 | Soul Performance Muffler delete
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 02:45 PM   #26
halfhalo
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E88 135i

Garage List
2017 BMW F83  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank 135i Vert View Post
Ok...so, i spoke to the installer, this is what they said. They may opt for a multi channel amp.

High level input from factory wires either before or after stock amp. We will only use what signal is coming in because doing high level / low level filters input directly from amp. New amp has high level / low level input w cross over filters. These mid subs frequencys are lows but not as low as other subs. Well do tuning right front amp, adjust gain, phase & low pass filter.
I'm still going to suggest amping everything, since the more I think about it the more potential issues pop up.

Firstly, the HU when coded for Hifi outputs FR/FL/RR/FL (notice no woofer here) as clean, balanced, flat, full fat low level signals. The HU does no processing to it.

The OEM amp then takes those 4 inputs and sums the FR/RR and FL/RL to make the woofer signals, and equalizes the output along with high-passing the doors and low passing the underseats (at 150Hz apparently).

I'm not really seeing a way to keep the oem amp while just amping the underseats that is less complicated than just amping everything.

If you take the 4 inputs to the amp, then you need some way to sum them, either by using a processor or a 4 channel amp that can do that for you. Ignoring the possibility of a processor for the moment, if you already have a 4 channel amp, it would seem to be easier to just get a 6 channel and replace the oem. Much simpler solution in my view.

Now, if you take the woofer speaker outputs from the oem amp, then you run into another set of issues. The first is finding an amp that could take 40W speaker level inputs. I don't know how hard that would be, so I'm going to assume its trivial for the sake of argument.
Even with that signal in the amp, you still have the issue of it being pre-eq'd and filtered by the oem amp.

Cutting the focals off at 150Hz just doesn't seem right to me. Everything I have read suggests they like to play a slightly higher freq range than the stock hifi woofers. Heck, right now I have my woofers playing with a higher crossover than 150, and they still can make me feel like I have been kicked in the chest on songs.

If you do end up going the full 6 channel amping, I still strongly suggest getting the harness for it. It cost me ~90 shipped with the harness, power, and ground wires, and I think thats kind of a bargain.
No splicing of wires, feels like a premium component, lets any balanced differential amp takes the spot of the oem, and is easily removed (for, say, warranty purposes). Plus no removal of battery due to the oem dist block connector for power, and the remote on makes it act identical to the oem amp, so there is no momentary audio glitches.

No matter what amp you end up using, double check the measurements. Our little e88's don't have a ton of room for this stuff. Theres basically the oem spot with the oem rack removed (rack holds the amp and if specced cd changer), the tray next to the battery, and possibly the bays where the oem telematics and sat modules would live.

(Jeeze I type alot)
      12-18-2014, 02:46 PM   #27
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So, let me start by thanking everyone for their input. It appears this is a relatively new application and not many of our 1addict members have gone this route. I'm going to apoligize ahead of time because I tried to take notes on what the installer was explaining based on his discussion with Focal, but may have missed some things...Also to be completely honest this area (Car audio) is completely foreign to me.

So the Installer spoke with Focal and recomended that we stick with the Focal FD1.350 AMP. This Amp will work well with the the Hi-Fi set up and the Focal IFBMW-subs. From a signal processing standpoint, they will only use the signal provided by the stock stereo from the wires pre the stock amp or post the stock amp. The Focal amp is set up with high level/low level inouts with cross over filters. The install shop will do the tuning from at the amp adjust the gain, phase and low pass filters.

I'm scheduled to do the install on Jan 2 and will try to post some initial thoughts once I get my car back. Thanks.

2018 Champaign Quartz F31 Sports Wagon | BMW 624 wheels | KW Street Coil Overs | DINAN Stage 1 v2.0 | Soul Performance Muffler delete
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 08:51 AM   #28
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

At the Worldwide Stereo in Montgomeryville PA getting the Subs & Amp installed. Can't wait to see/hear the difference.

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 10:13 AM   #29
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank 135i Vert View Post
At the Worldwide Stereo in Montgomeryville PA getting the Subs & Amp installed. Can't wait to see/hear the difference.
Good luck I just did the SWS-8's and I'm quite pleased with them.
      01-02-2015, 12:05 PM   #30
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

All I have to say is WOW! What a difference! Bass is clean & punchy, you can actually feel bass coming from under the seats.

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 04:30 PM   #31
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Focal Amp
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 04:31 PM   #32
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Focal IFBMW 8" subs
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 12:42 PM   #33
Pueger
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i convertible

looks good!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 06:58 PM   #34
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Not sure if this is helpful but good review here:

http://www.goodsound.com/index.php/f...dio-with-focal

So , I thought I would provide an update on this upgrade. After I completed the Sub upgrade I decided to proceed with upgrading the other speakers & continuing with the Focal IFBMW Integration speakers. I added the Focal FD 4.350 multi channel amp to power the tweeters & door speakers. World Wide Stereo in Montgomeryville Pa did the install http://www.wwstereo.com

Prior to the upgrade I also reached out the Hans in the Soundstage article as he appeared to be the first person to go with the Focal upgrade In his 135i. Hans provided a great deal of information from his experience with these speakers.

When I went to pick up the car the sales rep was super excited. He said to me that he thought the upgrade of the IFBMW Integration speakers had a bigger impact to the system than the Subs upgrade. He wasn't kidding.

I listen to all different genres of music: Hiphop, classic rock, Reggae etc. the difference from the stock stereo to the Focal system is truly remarkable. The vocals and instruments coming from the tweeters are amazing. I can hear instruments that I'd never heard before. Vocals are clear & crisp while the bass is hard hitting but not muffled.

I realize their were probably other options that I could have gone with that would have cost less. However, I wanted to maintain the stock look. I also wanted to make sure I didn't loose any space in the trunk with a box & speakers.

The car audio now sounds amazing and I'm looking forward to enjoying it this spring & summer. For anyone looking to upgrade their stock system, this is a great option that you won't be disappointed with.

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 09:24 PM   #35
Jayymose
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 X3MC

I'm in Berks county which isn't too far from Bucks. Can you pm me how much everything was including install?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 05:37 AM   #36
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

1Hot135i
PM sent. Let us know what you decide.

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 08:13 AM   #37
Swimjim
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

i have the harmon-kardon system already. is the focal a step up?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 09:03 AM   #38
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimjim View Post
I'd like to know as well. I'm sure it is but exactly how much?

I'm going back and forth between adding a small sub in the trunk vs. upgrading the under-seat mids instead (and amping them). I'm generally happy with the HK setup but feel it's missing that bottom octave, below about ~ 50-60 Hz seems to sort of taper off. Having had dedicated subs in previous cars I can tell on certain songs (i.e. from Massive Attack just this morning) that it needs just a little more.

The Focals have my interest but I'm concerned that even with them and amping I'd be missing that lowest octave, 8" is a decent size speaker but in such a small enclosure only so much it can do. Band-passing the current 8"'s and routing the lowest octave or two to a sub in the trunk would probably be a lot more beneficial.

Ont he other hand you might only be wondering about the door speakers, LOL. I'm not too worried about them given what I listen to.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 11:25 AM   #39
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
I'd like to know as well. I'm sure it is but exactly how much?

I'm going back and forth between adding a small sub in the trunk vs. upgrading the under-seat mids instead (and amping them). I'm generally happy with the HK setup but feel it's missing that bottom octave, below about ~ 50-60 Hz seems to sort of taper off. Having had dedicated subs in previous cars I can tell on certain songs (i.e. from Massive Attack just this morning) that it needs just a little more.

The Focals have my interest but I'm concerned that even with them and amping I'd be missing that lowest octave, 8" is a decent size speaker but in such a small enclosure only so much it can do. Band-passing the current 8"'s and routing the lowest octave or two to a sub in the trunk would probably be a lot more beneficial.

Ont he other hand you might only be wondering about the door speakers, LOL. I'm not too worried about them given what I listen to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimjim View Post
Swimjim, I guess you can say Focal is a setup. They are a audio company(Home and car) that offer a Plug and Play option for many BMW's (1, 3, 5 x1 series).

So to be clear, I'm not technical when it comes to car audio (speaker Frequency response, sensitivity etc.). My main objective was to leave the car stock looking Including the trunk and improve the sound. I know it's not scientific but I rely on how does it sound to me.

I know..I know...there probably is a cheaper option. However, In most cases it would modify the way the car looked(box in the trunk) modifications to fit it different brand of speakers etc. In addition, a sub in the trunk is difficult due to all the sound deading and firewall into the cabin especially if you don't have the pass through(I do not). As I drive a convertible, I wanted the music to be as close to me as possible.

In my Opinion the improvement is huge. I can listen to the music at much higher volumes without distortion and the clarity in the instrumnts, vocals and even Bass are night and day compared to the previous speakers. This weekend I was listening to some Bob Marley (Natural Mystic) which has vocals, instruments and deep bass. I heard instrument sounds in the music that I'd never heard before. Sorry for the long response...al in all for me this upgrade was worth it. I'm extremely happy with the results.

Below are links to the Focal products available with technical specs included on the webpages.

Speakers
http://www.focal-america.com/product/ifbmw-c/ (did not get these installed as not sure I would see a huge improvment)
http://www.focal-america.com/product/ifbmw-s/
http://www.focal-america.com/product/ifbmw-sub/

Amps
http://www.focal-america.com/product/fd-1-350/
http://www.focal-america.com/product/fd-4-350/

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 07:56 AM   #40
LittleBlackHawk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 --> E89

Hi Frank, when you got the focal sub installed, can the factory woofer grill (or dust cover?) still be put back? I had troubles to bolt the factory grill back as they interfere to each other.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 11:15 AM   #41
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I didn't do the install, but my understanding is yes they were able to reuse the speaker cover for the subs in the floor.

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 07:03 PM   #42
LeoBurr
6MT Fanatic
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C

I just did this install. Here's how the Focal IFBMW-SUB sits. Plenty of room for the plastic cover, and the Focal has a cover with soft fabric on top of it, so the speaker doesn't collect a missing screw...or a gobstopper from the car's previous owner.
Attached Images

03-08-2016, 11:40 PM   #43
LittleBlackHawk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 --> E89

i removed the Focal dust cover so i could place the original plastic cover back. It looks better and more complete with the original plastic cover.

The shop initially just put the Focal dust cover on and left the original plastic cover out. Just like you showed in the picture. After i insist that it looks ugly and i want the original plastic cover to be put back, too. They used longer screw to force install the original plastic cover with the Focal dust cover installed. But then the original plastic cover will bend a bit and with gaps around the edge to the floor carpets and still looks bad.

I got the suggestion from other forum to install the original plastic cover without the Focal dust cover. I am just sharing this setting which i am happy with. And one can choose which setting they like according to their preference.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 12:34 AM   #44
LeoBurr
6MT Fanatic
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlackHawk View Post
I got the suggestion from other forum to install the original plastic cover without the Focal dust cover. I am just sharing this setting which i am happy with. And one can choose which setting they like according to their preference.
On my 135i, there were zero clearance issues. I was able to put the Focal cover on, and the plastic OEM cover fit on top of it without causing any sort of distortions or issues. Plenty of clearance - The OEM cover went on just like with the factory subs. Using the stock screws. Longer ones not needed.